shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have recently managed to convince myself to purchase a diamond online instead of at a shop and based on the research i have done, i managed to narrow it basically down to 3 stones. My knowledge of diamond is very limited (even after the past 2 wks of intensive reading) so i would really appreciate some feedback / comments as to which one is a better stone. The 3 links are posted below

1) http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564410.htm
2) http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2631620.htm
3) http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047809010

Just so i state up front what my main aim is, and that is for a rock that would perform the best in terms of "brilliance/fire/sparkle". That is my first and by far foremost aim.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hear feedbacks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, you cant go wrong with any of these stones. ACAs and BGD stones are top notch. I would go with the F. In
my book a D is a bit of an overkill and I would rather have the size over color. Check to make sure the stones are eye-clean
from the side if that is important to you.

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty333 for the swift reply. I know WF stones are definitely eye clean as stated on their website, i have yet to check BGD but i assume with a VS1 it should be.

I was initally leaning towards number 1 until one of my friends said i should aim for a D as a D will always be a D. From what i have read i dont think i can visually tell the difference between a D and an F but i guess emotionally i will know. Now my concern with number 2 stone is that in the idealscope images i noticed it doesnt have as much "hotspots" or contrast as the other 2 stones? I am not not visually if it will make a difference. Gathering on the information i have read, i seem to prefer a diamond with more contrast / hotspots so i am not sure if visually will i REALLY notice that difference?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, very nice choices!!! None of these three is "better" in cut that the others. They are all top of the top in cut quality. So the factor to decide upon is whether she would rather know she has a D stone but prefer a smaller size or have the F stone which would appear equally white but visibly larger. I would never pay for D color, personally. I would consider it rude to go around telling people I have a D color diamond, so F color would be perfectly fine with me as I know how colorless they appear. The only reason I might choose one of the 1.5 D's is if she would be uncomfortable with a larger stone...as in her friends and family all wear very small diamonds and it would make her uncomfortable having a 1.7 ct. stone. But if her friends or family have larger stones, then I wouldn't think twice about buying the F. But if I did not buy the 1.7 F VS1, I would look for an E or F VS1 in the 1.5 range because I just wouldn't pay the premium for the D color.

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker2006 for your input. I think personally she shouldnt mind what i get for her in terms of carat or color. It's just that for me its a once in a lifetime thing so i really want the rock to be as perfect as possible (given what i can afford). I think out of all the WF and BGD rocks that i saw, these are the ones with the best idealscope (given my 2 wk research). Once again i was hoping some would address the lesser hotspots on diamond 1 and whether this would be a big visual issue.

thanks in advance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to try to say this in another way, and that is that these stones are equal in cut quality and will not appear different enough from each other to make that a deciding factor. All three idealscope images are great. They are all three outstanding stones. The most visible difference in the three stones is that one is larger than the other two. My first choice would be the WhiteFlash F VS1, and my second choice would be the Brian Gavin D because it costs less than the WF D. There are no "hotspots" on the F diamond, so I do not know to what you are referring. There is nothing wrong with that stone.

I do want to add one comment, though. You should be concerned more with what would please HER than what pleases yourself to give her. She will be the one to wear the ring for the rest of her life and you need to know whether she would prefer the smaller D or the larger F. If you did a poll here, you would find that all the women will have an opinion on that. And my guess is that at least 90% would choose the larger F stone since all are excellent cut, color, and clarity.

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
Ok great thanks. Please be as blunt as possible as i might have overwhelmed myself with all this info that i have tried to absorb in a short period of time so i might be "overlooking" into things!

I think if all 3 diamonds cut are almost the same visually i know which one i would choose!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your understanding my bluntness! I am really trying to help you! You have chosen excellent stones. You cannot go wrong if you try to keep in mind what she would value most!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the F stone. It is larger, and by a noticeable amount, and all other things are pretty much equal. Especially once set, the F will be icy white and colorless. You should have no worries there. Great choices!!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would also go with the F stone it is larger, and it will still be colorless :love:

As the others said all would be beautiful but that would be my choice.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I see the diamond says "available" I would put it on hold while you decide.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
unless she has specifically told you she has her heart set on a 'D' stone...I would go with the F. It will still be VERY white and it is a great size. It looks like an awesome choice, how do you plan to set it?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the F one as well~

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as "hot spots"...I think you are looking for contrast? All These stones are H&A with complimentary angles. I dont think
you will see a lot more contrast in one over the other. You can call WF and ask them to compare the 2 stones and tell you
what they are seeing. Ask them if they are seeing more contrast in one over the other.

I would go with the F. An F will always be an F (a very white stone) and a 7.7ish mm stone will always be larger
than a 7.4ish mm stone. But, If you think your GF would prefer a smaller stone than I would go with one of the 1.5ish stones.

Really with these stones you are down to size vs. color. Do you think your GF would like the highest color stone or a little
larger stone? Only you and your GF really know which you would prefer.

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the kind inputs.

@ SLG47 i kinda like the pave setting. Similar to the Nouveau with side diamonds and 6 claws at BN. Although if i was to go with BGD then i would be likely to choose this setting http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5483

Initally i was looking at setting it the classic style because the wedding band would most likely have side diamonds and i think it maybe an overkill of bling together. However after looking at pave settings in real life i feel pave looks a bit better so i might design the wedding bands to accommodate that. Suggestions of setting would be more than welcome as well!

@farmergal - yes it is still available status because i have another 1.70 on hold by WF which is a bit cheaper but i think im preferring this 1.726 over the one i have currently on hold
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2531926.htm

@diamond seeker - i do totally agree that it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference in color (for me anyway). I guess its just convincing myself that if im spending so much money on the ring, would i regret not buying a D.

GoodsOn

Rough_Rock
and tyty333 yes i have emailed Liza for her opinion on the visual aspect for the contrast between the 2 rock to see what they think. Waiting for her to reply. :) i have to say i have been very impressed with WF's reponse. I had the pleasure of talkign to both Liza and Debi and they were very helpful and patient to a newbie like me!

and @diamond seeker - i did see the rock you mentioned earlier but the reason i narrowed it down to those 3 was that i noticed the idealscopes of the 3 i chose was much redder in color. I read that the redder the ideal scope the better? (all things held constant off course)

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick the 1.7 less expensive whiteflash stone. The measurements overlap so they are virtually the same size, and it is $3K cheaper! Plus both are ACA's which is whiteflash's top cut. And both are F/VS1 and will be completely eye clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results