shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide on which type of everyday necklace

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1417209669|3791846 said:
Zah zah, hold on - I've reviewed the diamonds in this thread and am typing out another reply to you...

Ok I will look forward to your response

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zah, there are two of ame's choices that I really like. They are both a little bigger yet cheaper than the stone you're looking at, and both have great HCA scores. They're Si1 not VS2. I think you're a little unsure of Si1? Blue Nile can tell you if they're eyeclean, and I think you'd have more to worry about with an Si2. From what I've read here, Si1s from a reputable place like BN are often eyeclean. And like you said, you can always return - and lower the chances of disappointment by asking BN if they're eyeclean, too. Just seems a pity to miss out on a bigger, cheaper diamond because of clarity concerns. Many people on this website have eyeclean Si1s. However, if you're more comfortable with VS2 then I think the one you linked will also be lovely.

This one that ame chose is an excellent price, almost 70 pounds cheaper than the VS2, and a little bigger:
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05030294

This one that ame chose is 130 pounds cheaper than the VS2, and still a couple of points bigger:
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05115542

If you prefer a VS2 for mindclean reasons, that's one thing and you should get the 0.56 VS2 if you genuinely prefer higher clarity for its own sake.

But if you'd be happy with an eyeclean Si1 and are drawing toward the VS2 mainly out of purchase nervousness, it would be a pity to miss out on diamonds that are slightly larger and many pounds cheaper.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1416947404|3790392 said:
For a pendant - like for earrings - I'd be looking for a nice, bright, spready 60/60.

Unfortunately BN doesn't provide information beyond the report on stones outside their Signature line, so I can't tell you anything other than the numbers look promising, but this is the 'flavour' of stone I personally would be looking for:
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05166410
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05054038

I agree with Yssie - for a pendant, I definitely would choose a well-cut 60/60 stone; and for me, I'd go no lower than H-SI1.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely, I think those choices are really nice too, but they're in the 1600 range and the OP seems to prefer the 1300 range price-wise. I think the one that ame linked that's 1260 is a great buy, when you look at the prices of the other stones. I did look at other 60/60s with the OP's desired specs but they mostly seemed to be on the pricier side (for ones with HCA scores below 2) although perhaps I should have another look.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zah, marymm has an excellent point about considering a 60/60 diamond. I found this one on BN, and guess what, it scores "Excellent" in every category on the HCA, is a nice weight at 0.63 and costs 1365 pounds. It's an H Si1.

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05063897

Thanks marymm for inspiring me to look again at 60/60 diamonds for the OP!

Edit: Zah, we are probably confusing you at this point! I would just get the largest diamond (out of the selections here) for the money that you are prepared to pay, provided BN says it is eyeclean. I think this 60/60 is a great deal but if you are price-sensitive then I would get the one that costs 1260. (Since the diamond is not going in a bezel, I would try to optimize size within your price range.)

However, if you are really more comfortable with VS clarity then I think the one you linked (0.56) will also be lovely.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the diamonds we're discussing, provided they are eyeclean - it's just a question of what clarity and what price you feel good about.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
ame, Jambalaya marymm, and yessie. Thank you so much for your help!

I am a little confused at the moment. lol but going back and forth with BN, all the ones you have posted ame which are SI1 are eyeclean, including the two jambalaya suggested from the batch ame put up. Which is great!

I am thinking of going with the largest 0.61 in my price range, put it in a simple pendant rather than a bezel.
Il still have a look at the 60/60 ones too and see if BN lets me know if they are eye clean too.

With SI1 diamonds is the only thing I have to worry about is if its eye clean, do I need to be concerned with pressure sensitive area for example would they be more prone to crack due to the inclusions etc?

I don't think it would be a huge issue as pendants don't seem like that would get much wear and tear.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1417213362|3791990 said:
Yssie|1416947404|3790392 said:
For a pendant - like for earrings - I'd be looking for a nice, bright, spready 60/60.

Unfortunately BN doesn't provide information beyond the report on stones outside their Signature line, so I can't tell you anything other than the numbers look promising, but this is the 'flavour' of stone I personally would be looking for:
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05166410
http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05054038

I agree with Yssie - for a pendant, I definitely would choose a well-cut 60/60 stone; and for me, I'd go no lower than H-SI1.

Also just for my diamond knowledge why would a 60/60 stone be good for a pendant?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zah Zah,

Just did some research. There are lots of threads on Pricescope about 60/60 diamonds but they tend to be very involved and academic.

Basically 60/60 diamonds have a wider spread, which is great because you get a diamond that looks larger, but their brilliance can suffer when there is light obstruction in the form of a viewer's head. Rings get looked at and examined closely, by yourself or others, whereas pendant and earrings don't. Because no one's gonna get that close to your neck or your ears and if they do, they've likely got other things on their mind than your diamonds!

To explain further: If you imagine a diamond from the side, if it's deep then the spread is narrower because more of the diamond's weight is in the pointed part. Or, imagine a paper fan opening out. If it's only open a little, the top is small and the fan is deep, but if it opens fully then the sweep on the top is wide.

I think for a 60/60 to work, it has to have favorable crown and pavilion angles, which the one I linked does (great HCA score).

ww.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/lets-see-your-60-60-round-diamonds-t206127.html

PS - to answer your other question, I wouldn't have thought you'd have to worry about cracking with an Si1 inclusion but perhaps others can weigh in on that.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1417225087|3792093 said:
Hi Zah Zah,

Just did some research. There are lots of threads on Pricescope about 60/60 diamonds but they tend to be very involved and academic.

Basically 60/60 diamonds have a wider spread, which is great because you get a diamond that looks larger, but their brilliance can suffer when there is light obstruction in the form of a viewer's head. Rings get looked at and examined closely, by yourself or others, whereas pendant and earrings don't. Because no one's gonna get that close to your neck or your ears and if they do, they've likely got other things on their mind than your diamonds!

To explain further: If you imagine a diamond from the side, if it's deep then the spread is narrower because more of the diamond's weight is in the pointed part. Or, imagine a paper fan opening out. If it's only open a little, the top is small and the fan is deep, but if it opens fully then the sweep on the top is wide.

I think for a 60/60 to work, it has to have favorable crown and pavilion angles, which the one I linked does (great HCA score).

ww.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/lets-see-your-60-60-round-diamonds-t206127.html

PS - to answer your other question, I wouldn't have thought you'd have to worry about cracking with an Si1 inclusion but perhaps others can weigh in on that.

Thanks so much for explaining that it makes alot of sense.

I think I am going to go with this one :)

Hopefully the SI1 clarity wont be an issue.

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05030294

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1417216020|3792037 said:
Zah, marymm has an excellent point about considering a 60/60 diamond. I found this one on BN, and guess what, it scores "Excellent" in every category on the HCA, is a nice weight at 0.63 and costs 1365 pounds. It's an H Si1.

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05063897

Thanks marymm for inspiring me to look again at 60/60 diamonds for the OP!

Edit: Zah, we are probably confusing you at this point! I would just get the largest diamond (out of the selections here) for the money that you are prepared to pay, provided BN says it is eyeclean. I think this 60/60 is a great deal but if you are price-sensitive then I would get the one that costs 1260. (Since the diamond is not going in a bezel, I would try to optimize size within your price range.)

However, if you are really more comfortable with VS clarity then I think the one you linked (0.56) will also be lovely.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the diamonds we're discussing, provided they are eyeclean - it's just a question of what clarity and what price you feel good about.

that one looks great but unfortunately not available anymore .

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
I think im going to go for it this weekend and I will choose the petite bail pendant rather than the one that looks like two ears...what do you think?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh, I think you are going to love your pendant! The diamond you're choosing really looks as if it will be beautiful, and I agree about the petite bail pendant. I think the bunny ears one is really Eighties-looking, in my humble opinion. The petite bail is much more modern.

Please, please come back and show us pictures! Or if you don't have a camera, at least let us know how you like it! When will you receive it?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I see that when you run the numbers of that 0.61 diamond through the HCA, the X is just within the white box, which means it conforms to the higher cut standards of AGS. Also, the diamond has a 55% table, and some experts here really like 55% tables because they say it gives the diamond more fire (I think that's why).

Are you going for the petite bail in 14k, 18k or platinum?

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1417278077|3792298 said:
P.S. I see that when you run the numbers of that 0.61 diamond through the HCA, the X is just within the white box, which means it conforms to the higher cut standards of AGS. Also, the diamond has a 55% table, and some experts here really like 55% tables because they say it gives the diamond more fire (I think that's why).

Thast great news! I hope it sparkles and has fire!

Originally I was going to go for 18K white gold but as im saving a bit on the diamond I thought i may upgrade to platinum?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think metal choice is so personal. If you like platinum and can afford it, go for it! If you want your head to spin even more than it already is from diamond shopping, there is plenty of info on this site about the different metals!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
zah_zah|1417283062|3792333 said:
Jambalaya|1417278077|3792298 said:

Thast great news! I hope it sparkles and has fire!

Originally I was going to go for 18K white gold but as im saving a bit on the diamond I thought i may upgrade to platinum?

I think it will be just beautiful and am so excited for you! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did u see the sale on BGD website? Discount on setting and stone.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an excellent thought, LLJSmom. I'm going to go and see what's available. I took advantage of the sale myself - I think perhaps I didn't think of it here because the OP said something about being in the UK and easy returns.

OK, just checked and to get a 0.60 diamond like the OP has chosen from BN, starts from $2,341. (F, Si1, BGD Blue. Has to be Signature or Blue for the sale.) Plus a martini pendant, because that's the most similar to the BN style, comes to a total of $2,357 with the Black Friday discount, which is 1506 pounds, according to Google's exchange rate calculator.

Even if the OP got the "free" bunny ears pendant setting on BGD, it's still 1400 pounds to include a setting of a style that she didn't choose on BN. Also, I'm wondering if the OP would have to pay an extra 20% VAT when the pendant enters the UK from Texas...

I'll let the OP speak for herself, of course, but it seems like BN is better set up for the UK. I see that on their website, the diamond prices include the 20% VAT.

It was a great thought, though! You can get some good deals in that BGD sale.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, I checked for diamonds just under 0.60 and there is an H VS2 0.59. With the discount and the nice martini setting, it comes to $1,960.95, which is just 1252 pounds for both diamond and setting.

This is an excellent deal. Just two things: card issuers often charge 2% for foreign transactions, and there's the customs issue.

Here's the cart with the diamond, setting and discount: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/cart

Zah, if you click on the diamond in the cart you can actually see a video of it rotating, which is awesome.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checked about shipping on the BGD website and it says:

"We ship FedEx Priority International to overseas locations. The cost of shipping/insurance will depend on the value of the package. You are responsible for all import duties/taxes - these rates can be acquired by calling your local FedEx agent."

It looks as if the OP would have to pay 20% extra. Seems as if that would bring the total to approx 1500 pounds, plus the shipping cost. I have no idea what that would be. Oh -plus the possibility of a charge from the card issuer.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I just checked the info on the BN website and they ship for nothing and also include the VAT. I think the OP was right to choose BN in this instance. But if it hadn't been for the VAT and the shipping, the BN diamond would have been a beautiful and cost-effective choice.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Hey jambalaya

Thanks so much for looking into the BGD sale I did have a look around the US vendors during Black Friday to see if they were a better deal but having to factor into tax/vat and if I'm not happy I will have a lot more hassle to send it back.
If it was an engagment ring I would most defo look into the pricescope vendors but for a pendant I think BN would be fine also they have an upgrade policy :)

But thank you so much for your help :)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome, Zah Zah! Please come back and let us know how you like your pendant! :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think .5 is a great sie for an everyday diamond pendant. My everyday diamond pendant is .3ish now, and the biggest I would go up to is .8.

re: any of the options - measure your preferred chain size. 16" is what a lot of people get but I have a small frame and on me that hangs significantly lower than it does on most people, so I get 14" where most would get 16", 16" where most would get 18, etc.

zah_zah

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick question do I need to be concerned with a crystal and feather inclusion

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi Zah Zah, I'm very interested to see your necklace. Please will you post photos in the SMTB forum? I love solitaires.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know very much about clarity, I'm afraid. My understanding is that with an Si1 graded by a reputable lab like BN should be fine. Maybe ask BN for some reassurance?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But Blue Nile says that the diamond is eyeclean, right? I'd assume that if the inclusions are near the surface, they'd show. I think all you can do is buy it and if you're not happy, send it back. When you get it, you could always take it to a local jeweler to get their opinion on the inclusions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results