shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide between Bluenile and Whiteflash

trungiez

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm about to take that leap and buy an engagement ring.

At the moment I have already decided on the setting but desperately need help to choose the diamonds between Blue Nile or White Flash, quality wise and also bang for buck.

Setting will be a Three Stone Pavé Diamond Ring.

setting.jpg

Please critic on the below.

Blue Nile

Center diamond: 1.05 - Carat Blue Nile Signature Princess Cut Diamond
http://au.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD01937565

Diamond Details
Price: $7,269
Carat weight: 1.05
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 71.7%
Table %: 68%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.60 x 5.54 x 3.97 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.01

Side stones: 2 x 0.50 - Carat Blue Nile Signature Princess Cut Diamond

Diamond Details
Diamond 1------------------Diamond 2
Price: $1,458-----------------------$1,458
Carat weight: 0.50-------------------------0.50
Cut: Signature Ideal-----------Signature Ideal
Color: E-----------------------------E
Clarity: VS2-----------------------VS2
Depth %: 71.0--------------------- 70.5
Table %: 67------------------------67
Polish: Excellent-------------------Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent---------------------Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick---Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None------------------------- None
Fluorescence: None------------------------- None
Measurements: 4.43 x 4.34 x 3.08 mm---4.47 x 4.37 x 3.08 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.02------------------------1.02

Diamonds Total = $10,185

White Flash

Center diamond: 1.011 ct F VS2 Super Ideal Princess Cut Diamond Whiteflash ACA
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2517192.htm

Price: $7,533.00
Light Performance - Ideal
Polish - Ideal
Symmetry - Ideal
Shape - Princess
Carat - 1.011
Color - F
Clarity - VS2
Cut - Ideal
Depth % - 77.0
Table % - 60.7
Crown Angle - 40.8
Star - 0.0
Pavilion Angle - 39.3
Crown % - 15.4
Lower Girdle % - 0.0
Measurements - 5.35x5.34x4.11
Culet - Pointed
Fluorescence - None
Girdle - Medium to Slighty Thick

Side stone 1: 0.528 ct E VS1 Super Ideal Princess Cut Diamond Whiteflash ACA
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2612498.htm

Price: $1,835.00
Eye Clean - Yes
Polish - Ideal
Symmetry - Ideal
Shape - Princess
Carat - 0.528
Color - E
Clarity - VS1
Cut - Ideal
Depth % - 75.2
Table % - 60.4

Side stone 2: 0.527 ct E VS2 Super Ideal Princess Cut Diamond Whiteflash ACA
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2642481.htm

Price: $1,699.00
Eye Clean - Yes
Polish - Ideal
Symmetry - Ideal
Shape - Princess
Carat - 0.527
Color - E
Clarity - VS2
Cut - Ideal
Depth % - 76.2
Table % - 62.4

Diamonds Total: $11,067

Thank you all. cant wait for your comment. :naughty:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would go with WF in a heartbeat over BN :appl:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitly WF over Blue Nile. In my opinion you can not pick fancy cut stones without pictures and you are trying to match
stones which is even more difficult. Have you talked to WF? I'm a little concerned about the two side stones matching.
The table on stone 2 looks a lot larger than on side stone 1. I would ask WF to see if there is another stone that looks more
similar to side stone 1.

Edit - I think this would be a better match to the first side stone. You need to talk to WF and have the look at the
two and tell you if they would make good side stones. You can also have them look at all 3 stones together and give
their opinion. They are all excellent stones so as long as they match they should look beautiful togehter.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2642486.htm

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whiteflash, hands down. I believe that Blue Nile's stock is virtual, so they don't have all 3 stones in front of them to determine if they are well matched. Whiteflash can be trusted to do a great job heping you match the stones and they get terrific reviews around here.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for Whiteflash, but like others said, have them make sure the sidestones match and compliment the center. I've only had great experiences with them (2 purchases so far and many e-mails answering my annoying questions).

Which setting from Whiteflash are you looking at, or will you go custom?

kdn2684

Rough_Rock
If you are going to spend that much money for a ring online, i'd highly recommend going with the vendor that gives you the most information in order to make an inform decision. Bluenile doesn't have its diamond inhouse and can't tell you anything about the diamond other than what is on the certificate. WhiteFlash however has the diamond inhouse, can answer all your questions about it, and have all the images (idealscope, ASET, etc) that you need to make an inform decision. Plus I'd beat WF's ACA line is superior to BN's signature ideal line. WhiteFlash also has a better policy like Lifetime Upgrade, One year Buyback.

I had the same question when starting my diamond search. I ended up going with Whiteflash and couldn't have been happier.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
kdn2684|1307022116|2936166 said:
If you are going to spend that much money for a ring online, i'd highly recommend going with the vendor that gives you the most information in order to make an inform decision. Bluenile doesn't have its diamond inhouse and can't tell you anything about the diamond other than what is on the certificate. WhiteFlash however has the diamond inhouse, can answer all your questions about it, and have all the images (idealscope, ASET, etc) that you need to make an inform decision. Plus I'd beat WF's ACA line is superior to BN's signature ideal line. WhiteFlash also has a better policy like Lifetime Upgrade, One year Buyback.

I had the same question when starting my diamond search. I ended up going with Whiteflash and couldn't have been happier.

Actually all Blue Nile Signature Diamonds ARE in house and Blue Nile DOES offer a upgrade policy:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-upgrade-program

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
whiteflash~

druidtime

Rough_Rock
Feb03Bride|1307024798|2936189 said:
kdn2684|1307022116|2936166 said:

Actually all Blue Nile Signature Diamonds ARE in house and Blue Nile DOES offer a upgrade policy:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-upgrade-program

This is true.

Most of BN's signature line comes with a GCAL certification which almost always include a light performance test.

On the GCAL light test, it seems like the range for an "excellent" is 100% to 88% light return. This particular stone seems to score a little closer to 88% (i guess that a completely white square scores 100%.)

Unfortunately I believe the GCAL cert is the closest thing you can get to determine light performance other than getting the AGSL graded ones on BN.

I havent done business with WF but it seems like they can help you out a lot more especially when you are trying to make a three-stoner.

But since the signature line is in house, maybe they can pull all three to get an in house gemologist opinion?

trungiez

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for you comments.

I have been leaning towards whiteflash, but just wanted to be sure.

As for consulting whiteflash about the diamonds and design, that is how I got them. I have been talking to Liza regarding the custom design of the setting, and she recommended the 3 stones for me.

What do you guys think about those 3 whiteflash diamonds? Do they look ok?

Thanks again.

wreckem

Rough_Rock
Are you having them make a custom setting that replicates the Blue Nile setting?

If you go through with it, please post the cads and/or final results. I've thought about doing the exact same thing.

trungiez

Rough_Rock
wreckem said:
Are you having them make a custom setting that replicates the Blue Nile setting?

If you go through with it, please post the cads and/or final results. I've thought about doing the exact same thing.

Yes that's correct, the setting is originally from Blue Nile and will be custom made at White Flash.

I have been quoted $2725 for the setting from White Flash and it include.

6 round diamonds at .05cts each (totaling approximately .30ctw, ACA ideal cut, F-G color, VS2 or better clarity).

These will be bead set, about half way down the ring as shown in the picture.

Platinum $2725

This is about $1000 more than the Blue Nile but will have better diamonds.

Will let you know if I decide to go ahead with this. ;-)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with Whiteflash in a heartbeat. Not only do they provide great diamonds and settings but their customer service is wonderful to boot. I don't think you can go wrong if you do decide to go with them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not convinced by the "in house" designation for BN. It is a very large company, and though the signature stones may be in a safe somewhere in the country owned by BN, to me this is not the same as talking to someone on the phone who has seen the stone and is looking at it in their hand. I like the latter when it comes to buying diamonds. If BN can now provide that level of service and give consitent and reliable feedback to customers, I would be happy to see the testimonials on PS and proof of the in house status, like photographs of the diamonds.

BUT lots of people are happy with BN. *shrug* its up to you.

Who will set the stones for you?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
farmer gal|1307018061|2936126 said:

Farmer gal, the OP was not asking for recommendations of other stones :)) Have you read the prosumer guidlines linkded at the top of the RT page? We should respect the OPs choices and help him/her evaluate them rather than jumping in with alternatives before helping evaluate the original choices. If you think the OPs original choices are not good ones, perhaps you can explain why so he/she can learn and know why you suggested other options?

trungiez

Rough_Rock
farmer gal said:
I just came across this diamond from JA I thought I would throw out at you.

If you are interested I would place it on hold and ask for asset images.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-<a<a href="tel:1335403">1335403</a>.asp

with this setting

http://www.jamesallen.com/design-your-three-stone-ring/18k-White-Gold-3-Stone-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring.html

or this one

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/18kt-White-Gold-3-Stone-Pave-Set-Engagement-Ring.html

Thanks for the recommendation farmer gal but that is a little out of my league. :roll:

The center diamond I'm looking at is around 1ct to 1.1ct. Think you've linked a 1.5ct.

I wish I could. :lol:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I said I would go with WF over BN. I was browsing JA and found that princess cut and noticed it was the same price as the three stones together, and the setting looked similar so just thought I would throw it out there, sorry if that offended anyone :twirl:

trungiez

Rough_Rock
farmer gal said:
Sorry, I said I would go with WF over BN. I was browsing JA and found that princess cut and noticed it was the same price as the three stones together, and the setting looked similar so just thought I would throw it out there, sorry if that offended anyone :twirl:

No, not offended at all.

Thanks for the recommendation. :D

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Great :appl: You will be very happy with WF, you will have to come back and post pictures of the ring when you recieve it!

druidtime

Rough_Rock
Yes, I keep hearing good things about WF.

Too bad for me I get 8.25% sales tax otherwise I would be their customer.

LynzeeLeigh

Rough_Rock
I'm personally going with blue nile because of the price and because a lot of people are very happy with them and I have been so far too. However, I'm getting a round diamond...and it's just a solitaire. For any other shape, I think I'd like to see more photos than they can provide so WF might be your better bet. But remember, there's always a return policy and I've read many many great reviews about blue nile.

txdiceman

Rough_Rock
WF only charges sales to items shipped to Texas. Hence, do you have any close relatives out of Texas?? At least that is the route I went. Registered mail from relative/friend to you. Only negative is 30 day return policy less time shipped from relative to you. Saved me a ton. :D

trungiez

Rough_Rock
tyty333 said:
You need to talk to WF and have the look at the
two and tell you if they would make good side stones. You can also have them look at all 3 stones together and give
their opinion. They are all excellent stones so as long as they match they should look beautiful together.

I have asked Liza to compare the 3 stones for me and this was her respond.

"They look really great together! They're all very very close in terms of specs, and are a very nice match. The side stones match each other well, and look great as a suite with the center stone. I looked at the other diamonds, and I didn't really like any of the others better than I liked these three."

She have also sent me a picture of the 3 stones side by side.

stones.jpg

What do you guys think about these 3 stones together? Please give me your honest opinion. ;-)

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase this if feedback is positive. :appl:

Please give me the boost in confident or help me with a better option? :lol:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think they look very nice judging by the pictures. I would trust WF to give me their opinions they are top notch. If they say they will look great together, they will look great together :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think they look very well matched but my personal preference is for the side stones to be slightly smaller. But these look great!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great together! That will be a *blingy* 3stone, w/ stones of those proportions together :sun: Like slg I usually prefer smaller sidestones, but given that we're dealing w/ princesses I'm thinking I actually like WF's choice better, w/ the little bit of extra size to help even out light return differences across the three.. I can see how the tiny twinkles from smaller princesses would get lost compared to what the centre is throwing out

trungiez

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the boost in confidence. :D

Since there's no negative feedback regarding the stones, I think I'm going to go ahead with this.

Need to decide before the price goes up again. ;-)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what setting are you getting?

trungiez

Rough_Rock
slg47 said:

The setting design will be the same as the picture in original post, but will be custom made by White Flash.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results