shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide a stone (corundum) for a necklace!

xcacaox

Rough_Rock
Hello, Pricescope! This is a freshly made account and my first post here, but I've been eyeing here a LOT (yes, a LOT, in capitals) to get information. It won't be an exaggeration to say that PS pretty much started my jewellery life.
I'd first like to thank you all, for your knowledge and kindness.
I'm not an expert at stones - I do like pretty things and I just pick what I think is unique(!!!) and pretty... which varies from an individual to another.

I've been looking for my first coloured stone purchase for a signature necklace.
It is the only form of jewellery put on all the time.
Perhaps with a silver ring, or some studs, but never altogether. It may potentially be layered with another one.
I'm very minimalistic when it comes to jewellery generally. (I admit, I do like fine stuff though!)

To me, I pick stones that resonate with me.
Usually the thing I'm okay to go lower with is size. The thing I generally do not sacrifice is quality.
(I'm of VERY petite build, so I have a talent for making anything look huge on me.)
I am also looking for an eye-popping, saturated, unheated corundum.

So I narrowed down to two final choices... a ruby and a sapphire.
They're both in my budget; the sapphire's slightly higher in price. (About $200-300?)

il_570xn_152.jpg

Size: 6.50 x 5.38 x 4.79mm
Cut: Oval Portuguese Cut
Weight: 1.45 ct

Color: Cornflower Blue.
Clarity: Eye Clean, nearly loupe clean

Origin: Ceylon.
Treatment: None - GAL certified

certified-natural-untreated-tanzania-round-ruby-0.jpg

(I did just request natural, unedited, un-photoshopped pictures or videos. They're yet to reply.)

Size: 5.04 x 4.87 x 2.69mm
Cut: Round; brilliant crown, step cut
Weight: 0.55 ct

Color: Red
Color intensity: Vivid
Clarity: Insignificant Inclusions (VVS2)

Origin: Tanzania
Treatments: None - Natural Sapphire Company certification

:X Sorry I am of no expert in coloured stones.
I just really liked how they are, and since it's going to be a signature necklace, well... I picked what I liked, lol.

Thanks for reading such a long post! I'd really appreciate any comments/suggestions/help from you experts. :)
...And why is posting photos so hard?! :( I've been battling it for 20 minutes.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
That is a really hard choice! It's easier to choose between things that are similar, a lot harder to choose between things that are very different.

My first reaction from the photos is I like the NSC stone- it just seems to pop off the page! So cute! BUT that said, I'd probably choose the blue sapphire, for more logical brain-based reasons. Mostly, my take after looking at NSC stones a lot is that 1) they are given serious glamour shot treatment 2) they are frequently overprices and 3) the stones on that site are frequently not well cut, and *personally* I value that pretty highly. After looking at the actual listing of the ruby, I find that point #3 is definitely happening here, and for that much money I'd much rather have something cut a bit nicer (even if the clarity and type of stone means that the dead area isn't as apparent as it would be in, say, a topaz)

I'd like to see a straight on picture of the sapphire, but I think that's the way I'd lean at this point.

That said if you specifically like smaller gems, I bet you could find something similar to that one elsewhere with slightly better quality for a similar or better price. There's a 5.7mm on gemfix for <$1000, it's a little darker toned than that one but to me the cut looks a bit better (which is my personal preference, maybe not yours!).

Are you set on it having to be corundum? I feel like you' d maybe have some better options if you opened the door to spinel or a few other gems, especially if the specific color is of less concern than it being very vibrant.

xcacaox

Rough_Rock
deskjockey|1443627601|3933468 said:
That is a really hard choice! It's easier to choose between things that are similar, a lot harder to choose between things that are very different.

My first reaction from the photos is I like the NSC stone- it just seems to pop off the page! So cute! BUT that said, I'd probably choose the blue sapphire, for more logical brain-based reasons. Mostly, my take after looking at NSC stones a lot is that 1) they are given serious glamour shot treatment 2) they are frequently overprices and 3) the stones on that site are frequently not well cut, and *personally* I value that pretty highly. After looking at the actual listing of the ruby, I find that point #3 is definitely happening here, and for that much money I'd much rather have something cut a bit nicer (even if the clarity and type of stone means that the dead area isn't as apparent as it would be in, say, a topaz)

I'd like to see a straight on picture of the sapphire, but I think that's the way I'd lean at this point.

That said if you specifically like smaller gems, I bet you could find something similar to that one elsewhere with slightly better quality for a similar or better price. There's a 5.7mm on gemfix for <$1000, it's a little darker toned than that one but to me the cut looks a bit better (which is my personal preference, maybe not yours!).

Are you set on it having to be corundum? I feel like you' d maybe have some better options if you opened the door to spinel or a few other gems, especially if the specific color is of less concern than it being very vibrant.

I'm set on corundum because I hardly change the necklaces around... and I'm not the most careful person in the world.
I don't/can't go coloured diamonds (at least not in the colours that I want), and the corundums were next hardest.

I actually got a feedback from NSC, and it seems like the colour on the ruby is more saturated, whereas the sapphire, well-coloured and better cut (as you mentioned).
I also got a video response which I don't know how to post here... :doh: But here are the hand shots.

il_570xn_154.jpg

Sapphire is really pretty. Nicely saturated, seems much sparklier. I prefer the cut here.

image_10.png

Ruby is very saturated in colour. It really pops out from the video. It almost seems like a neon-sign, as they described.
Decisions, decisions... :think:

Thank you for a response, and I'll check your suggestion out too! :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Larryfish - I see your photos popping up quite a bit lately in other people's threads. It looks as though you are new to PS, so I'm hoping to offer you a bit of constructive advice.

We generally try to stay on topic in threads that others have started, as they are usually asking for specific advice. When you post general pics of your uncut stones repeatedly in others' threads, it's not staying on topic and it's not actually answering the OPs question(s). If you would like to show off your pics, the best way to do that is to start your own thread and add any pics that you like in there. That way it's not distracting or off topic for the people who have started a thread trying to get specific help on a specific topic.

And if you prefer uncut rough to cut gems, there are other boards that have more of a focus on that too.

I'm really not trying to be rude; I've just witnessed your pics popping up several times in what seems to be inappropriate context. You might get more out of the PS experience if you start your own thread and/or post your pics in threads where they are germain to the discussion at hand.

Best of luck, and welcome to the boards.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Xcacaox - based on the pics I prefer the sapphire. I'm like you, I prefer to go smaller to preserve quality (as dictated by my budget). I also typically prefer more a minimal look, generally speaking. Unlike you, I'm not petite so small stones get lost on me :(. But that's great for you!! It's nice when our tastes coincide with what looks good on us :)

If you want to look around more - I agree that Gemfix is always great for looking at sapphires. I'll also recommend Yvonne Raley (as I have for years now, lol, sorry if it's getting old!) but Yvonne has really stepped it up with her sapphire offerings in the last 1-2 years. She consistently has well cut, beautifully colored sapphires pretty much all the time now! (And they're all either hear only or completely untreated). I know she sources from very reliable vendors and lab checks all the time too.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you're open to pre-loved/secondhand options, but here are links to "blue sapphire" listings on DiamondBistro and LoupeTroop (fyi: PSers are a good percentage of the sellers and buyers on these two websites) - if nothing else, you'll get more info on pricing and see more eye candy:

http://www.diamondbistro.com/index.php?a=19&b[search_text]=blue+sapphire&c=199&b[search_by_field]=all_fields&b[subcategories_also]=1

http://loupetroop.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=blue+sapphire

Good luck with your search, and have some fun with it - it can take time to find the right stone, especially if it is for a signature piece, but I have no doubt you'll find a stone that sings to you.

(for some reason I can't make the DB link fully clickable, but if you copy and paste into your browser, it should work...)

larryfish

Rough_Rock
I will

xcacaox

Rough_Rock
This is kinda late, but I did decide on Yvonne's sapphire because her works are always excellent.
And of course, it was, again.
Craftsmanship, the stone (it's cornflower blue but really deep), even the side diamond is white and bright. :)

These are my own photos, not enhanced in any way.

First one's taken by the window, in direct sunlight.
Second one's completely indoors with no inside light on - just the daylight from outside shining in.

img_20160513_153324_smaller.jpg

img_20160513_125745_smaller.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice - Yvonne's has sourced some beautiful Ceylon sapphires.

Your pendant came out beautifully, the color is gorgeous and the style looks great on you!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That necklace is TDF. :clap: I love everything about it! Congrats!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1465078157|4040234 said:
That necklace is TDF. :clap: I love everything about it! Congrats!

+1, I love it! So delicate and a great look on you!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful. Well done! :appl:

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it's perfect! Good choice, all the way around.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I think you made a great choice with the sapphire. Thanks for coming back and sharing the completed necklace with us -- love the style. It's beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

SparkliesLuver

What a gorgeous necklace. Love the simple, clean lines and timeless design. Very well done!

luxroman

Rough_Rock
So delicate and beautiful!!! Congrats :appl:

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Love it!!! Looks unique but also timeless.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. And unique.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
deskjockey|1443627601|3933468 said:

I agree with deskjockey!!!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did Yvonne do the setting too? Great setting too. Was looking at this again and love its simplicity and elegance. And it looks great on you.

xcacaox

Rough_Rock
caf|1465924189|4043908 said:
Did Yvonne do the setting too? Great setting too. Was looking at this again and love its simplicity and elegance. And it looks great on you.

Thanks! Yvonne does setting services (though I think she uses a particular stone-setter), and her designs are quite lovely.
The sapphire is channel-wrapped, and the diamond bezel-set (it was too small to be wrapped).
I didn't say anything extra, but she even perfected the thickness of the bezels so it's even too! She really has an attention to detail.
I love setting with her just as much as choosing stones from her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results