shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me critique a diamond. I'm SO green at this!!

eric618

Rough_Rock
Re: Please help me critique a diamond. I'm SO green at this!

Dreamer_D|1310661242|2968847 said:
As a point of clarification I am confused about the Union rep saying the marquise got a "very good" cut grade form GIA. GIA does not offer cut grades on fancy shapes, so that is misleading information.

I realized that after I became a little more educated on stones. Is there a way to assess a fancy stone's cut quality? Sometimes pics can be a little misleading, from what I've seen/read.

eric618

Rough_Rock

There was just an influx of new stones on James Allen. Within an hour almost all of them were gone. Holy hell!!!

Kiley

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GIA/AGS do not grade fancy cut stones with the exception of AGS does do princess cuts. So any "grading" you see on a marquise
is going to be something some jeweler gave it and may vary widely.

Marquise are usually not that popular...I'm surpise because they seem like they are flying off the shelf!

eric618

Rough_Rock

Well... I just ordered my ring through Blue Nile. I spoke at length with one of their reps, who *claims* she had someone from their warehouse review the particular stone. Her e-mail response was: "Thank you for your patience while I waited to receive the visual results you requested. The vault has determine that the diamond we discussed is eye clean. The inspector also noted that this is a beautiful diamond with a very good light performance ensuring you get a lot of sparkle and brilliance."

The stone is a GIA .51 carat Marquise stone, SI1, H in color, medium blue fluorescence, very good polish and symmetry, 60% depth and 56% table. It's a nice big 8.60 x 4.15 x 2.49mm stone with a 2.06 ratio. I got that mounted in a white 14k gold cathedral setting. The woman assured me I had 30 days to send it back, and it would be a painless process. She felt pretty strongly that I would not want to, however.

I know I should not have ordered sight unseen, but the stress of looking at diamonds every day, just to see all the good ones gone almost immediately was getting to me! Haha

As soon as I get it, I will be posting pics for all the experts here to help me grade it. Thank you all SO much for your help, and education!

eric618

Rough_Rock

Well, I just got the ring. I am *thrilled!* with the quality of the stone. It's totally eye clean, and has (to my untrained eye) amazing light performance. The sparkle when I rotate it in the sun is really awesome. I promised y'all pics, and here you go. The pictures really do not do the stone justice. :loopy: ....

ring5_4.jpg

ring4_5.jpg

ring3_6.jpg

ring1_12.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that does look gorgeous! Very sparkly!

Congrats and well done :)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful - congrats!

eric618

Rough_Rock

Thanks, guys!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! Its really pretty! That ring sets the stone off beautifully!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

eric-I am really glad that you found the perfect engagement ring :) it's beautiful! please come back with more pics after you propose :)

eric618

Rough_Rock

Will do! Again, thank you all so much!

eric618

Rough_Rock

Well, the proposal (actually, the whole day), was pretty awesome. Thai food, wine, gorgeous weather, a local festival, and a "yes"! :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eric618|1312305075|2982400 said:
Well, the proposal (actually, the whole day), was pretty awesome. Thai food, wine, gorgeous weather, a local festival, and a "yes"! :)

Yea! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eric618|1312305075|2982400 said:

CONGRATS! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results