shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose setting for my asscher e-ring!

asschergirl27

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I REALLY could use some help...I've been trying to decide on a reset for a long while, and can't come up with anything perfect.

Here are my thoughts and my history with the ring. My husband purchased the center stone asscher and we went to purchase a setting. Long story short, we got the wrong setting and didn't speak up. It's a Simon G. I am nervous to custom since we got the wrong setting in the first place. I need to see what I am getting.

I love the asscher, but would like to set it in something that shows it off more. I want more sparkle. Attached are photos of my current rings.

Specs are:
1.52 carat
6.6 X 6.5 X4.3
F Color
SI2

What I don’t like about it, is:
1 all three bands appear the same – I would like contrast with the side bands – a little more height and larger stones for the center band.
2)The bands appear very flat/metally. They don’t sparkle. I wanted to add sparkle around the asscher. How will I achieve this through halo or shanks – stone size or quality? Single cut?
3)The head of the diamond is just plain. The setting is just okay.
4)I don’t like that the stones look like they have little lines separating them/too much space. I would prefer shared prong or pave with stones closer together.

The two looks I love are:

1) The Michael B - Paris setting:
ORiginally I had wanted a Michael B. I love that it is dainty, high quality, appears sparkly, is cathedral setting so contrasts a bit against my side rings. My concerns are: should I be getting bigger stones for sparkle? Or is the quality of his melee good enough to achieve this? Is it just too similar to my current setting, or will going with what I wanted originally and the contrast in my two side bands make all the difference?

2) Cushion-shaped halos. I haven’t seen any perfect examples of an asscher with a halo that I want.

Things I don’t like in general:
o Seeing a lot of metal, especially on the halo on the top or the side
o The look of prongs from the side with small stones (zipper like)
o Halos that are very square or look like a box

Things I like:
o Pave – provided the stones don’t appear flat like my current rings
o Stones around the side of the halo
o Curved struts
o Slightly split shank as you get closer to diamond
o Contrast in size of stones on the shank versus my two side bands
o Soft cushion shaped halos

Ive attached two pics of a Scott Kay halo split shank setting with my stone sitting on it. What do you think of this?

So there you have it. Is anyone on to the challenge of how I should reset this ?? :)

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like the look of really tiny stones in your halo or would you be okay with slightly larger ones. If you would be okay with 1.5ish point stones, single cut in your halo I would contact Steven Kirsch. As him for a halo that is cushion shaped-- so at each of your corners be would put only 1 melee stone instead of 2 or more to capture the cut corner. His work is gorgeous and the quality is great, plus you will be able to have him customize it so there will be nothing you dislike in the halo.

I personally wouldn't halo the asscher. I think it's a lovely stone and the size is great on your hands. I'd just buy some different bands for the side of your main band. And maybe reset your main into a sparklier pave setting. I'd still do Steven and single cuts for pave of the reset, tell him you want the stone to sit up higher than his normal and do a cathedral setting on it. Get some beautiful claw prongs on there and ask him V-cut pave.

I'd buy two bands, these two below, and see what you think, FIRST, then decide if you like the solitaire look, or if you want a halo. But first I'd switch out your bands.

http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_137&products_id=10874 I think these would really set off your asscher and look fabulous flanking it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I have a feeling that the quality of the melee in your bands may be the problem. My asscher was originally set in a wg solitaire but I felt that it needed a boost of bling, so we reset it into a pave band similar to yours and I was blown away by the difference that it made. Not all melee is created equal. I had no idea how many different cuts there were until PS. So, I second Gypsys' suggestion of trying some different bands to see if that gives you the boost that your after. I love how you diamond fits your finger now, so I think that I would stay away from a halo, unless it's a design that you've fallen in love with anyway, but if it's just to add additional sparkle, I think that there are better options. I've always loved this LM 5 stone, but I'm not sure that it's what you're looking for.

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/five-stone-Asscher-ring

asschergirl27

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy & Christina for the replies!

Gypsy - I do like the tiny halo stones, but think the larger ones might give more sparkle. Is that the case given quality is the same? I do love SK's work, but I get nervous with the custom route long distance. Those are beautiful bands you suggested!

Christina, you bring up a good point. The diamonds in my current e-ring are F, VS and still look flat. I think if they were set closer it might make the difference? The Michael B Paris is F VS1 I believe with smaller stones, but set better. BTW, love the 5 stone too, just not what I am looking for right now :)

I tried on some halos yesterday, and actually saw an asscher with a halo. It was very pretty, but something is holding me back. I don't like how my current bands are the same size melee as most halos - it looks too much of the same.

What do you think of the Michael B Paris setting? I have loved this setting, and actually found it at a local jewelers in platinum for 1/2 the price! It is their last piece in his collection so they marked it down. It is beautiful. They have a 30 day return and said I could try it out and see if I like it, and if not, bring it back.

One last question, if I go with the Paris setting, what would you do for a wedding band? Would an eternity (a la Frankiextah's previous setting) look good with this, with an asscher center?

Seashell12

Rough_Rock
asschergirl27, I have the same problem. I got setting from one of famous jeweler here, on Price scope and I didn’t like it at all, it was too tiny, halo and shank diamonds were too small, shank was flat and not comfortable on the finger. I don’t know it’s just me and I have a different taste from all those people who wrote a great review here, on forum.

Now, I give up of buying on line, not seeing of what I buy. That’s why I decided to buy Scott Kay setting in the store. I really like it, melee stone about 1twc.

I really like your ring on pics( Scott Kay).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
asschergirl27|1338565106|3207263 said:
Thanks Gypsy & Christina for the replies!

Gypsy - I do like the tiny halo stones, but think the larger ones might give more sparkle. Is that the case given quality is the same? I do love SK's work, but I get nervous with the custom route long distance. Those are beautiful bands you suggested!

Christina, you bring up a good point. The diamonds in my current e-ring are F, VS and still look flat. I think if they were set closer it might make the difference? The Michael B Paris is F VS1 I believe with smaller stones, but set better. BTW, love the 5 stone too, just not what I am looking for right now :)

I tried on some halos yesterday, and actually saw an asscher with a halo. It was very pretty, but something is holding me back. I don't like how my current bands are the same size melee as most halos - it looks too much of the same.

What do you think of the Michael B Paris setting? I have loved this setting, and actually found it at a local jewelers in platinum for 1/2 the price! It is their last piece in his collection so they marked it down. It is beautiful. They have a 30 day return and said I could try it out and see if I like it, and if not, bring it back.

One last question, if I go with the Paris setting, what would you do for a wedding band? Would an eternity (a la Frankiextah's previous setting) look good with this, with an asscher center?

I'm not sure which MichaelB paris you're referring to, the three sided pave? I would be concerned about wearing any band with a three sided pave, you will be likely to do damage to the bands if you didn't wear a spacer in between. Have you considered wearing a pave band of a different gold color on either side of your ering? I think that it would help separate the three rings so that they don't look like one large ring, kwim? I've been thinking more and more about adding a plain 2mm rose gold band between my pave ering and matching band. I think that it will give it more contrast and texture.

I actually do like the ScottK halo. I'd do a plain band on either side of it though, otherwise it might look to busy, for me anyway. What are your thoughts? Have you come to any conclusions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results