shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose my first pearl studs :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just getting into pearls and decided to start with a couple pairs of studs-- 8mm blue Akoyas and 9.5mm Freshadamas. I emailed PP and was sent 2 pairs of each to choose from. I've read up a lot on pearls but am still very green. I'd love opinions on which ones I should choose. =) (Based on the pics, I'm leaning towards the second pair of each set.)

Here's what I was told about the pearls:

"The first two pairs are the blue akoyas 8.0-8.5 mm.
The top pair is cleanest in terms of surface with a hint of rose overtone.
The next pair has the strongest luster with sharp silver-rose overtone.
However the right pearl has a slight blemish on the side.
We encourage customers to pick pearls with higher luster over surface cleanliness but
I wanted you to look at the options and choose which one you would like.

The bottom two pairs are Freshadama pairs 9.5-10 mm.
The first pair has silver overtone and the luster is soft.
The bottom pair has sharper luster with strong rose overtone."

Thanks!! :wavey:

pearls.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like that second blue pair a lot. Very pretty and lots of colors in there.

As for the bottom two pairs, I'm a silver fan so I would lean towards the first set. But, it really is personal preference.

Be sure to come back with ear shots after you make your choices and they arrive.

Quite honestly, I would get one of both. They both will have different looks to them... I'm quite partial to the blue though :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1310508750|2967552 said:
I like that second blue pair a lot. Very pretty and lots of colors in there.

As for the bottom two pairs, I'm a silver fan so I would lean towards the first set. But, it really is personal preference.

Be sure to come back with ear shots after you make your choices and they arrive.

Thanks Fly Girl! :wavey: I like the color(s) of the 2nd blues too. :love: I just wasn't sure of the blemish but I imagine it's not that noticeable...

So on the 2nd set- you'd pick the first pair for the color even though the luster isn't as great as the second pair? Is it kind of like a trade off like with the 4 Cs of diamonds?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1310509360|2967560 said:
Quite honestly, I would get one of both. They both will have different looks to them... I'm quite partial to the blue though :)

I do plan on getting one of each color :D I'm just not sure which 2 pairs are the best out of the 4 I was sent as options..

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Go for the pearls with the highest luster, the second set of both. The luster will make the pearls shine and pop on the ears. Happy pearl buying :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I notice your name is LA if you are in the Los Angeles area go in person to choose, I would!!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks 4Ranch Girl! :wavey: Unfortunately I no longer live in Cali so can't go look in person :(sad

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Rats is all I can say to that. So which pearls are you going to choose?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1310534865|2967855 said:
Rats is all I can say to that. So which pearls are you going to choose?
I decided to get the second pair in each set :) I'll post pics and ear shots when I get them.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: great choice, you will look lovely

LALove|1310514613|2967612 said:
bean|1310509360|2967560 said:

I do plan on getting one of each color :D I'm just not sure which 2 pairs are the best out of the 4 I was sent as options..

Sorry! I misread the post :) Can't wait to see them!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
NP Bean! :wavey: I should have them by Tuesday :bigsmile:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to get another pair :naughty: - Tahitian black studs. Hisano sent me these to choose from and this is what he said about them:

"The top 4 pairs are 8-9 mm.
The very top pair (#1) is the peacock overtone.
We have sold out our darkest peacock tones and the one that I have selected
is a lighter shade of peacock.
It has a stronger blue green overtone with a hint of pink.

#2 pair is the green. This pair is the largest in size compared to the other three pairs.
#3 pair is the silver. It is the smallest in size with a beautiful silver green overtone with a
slight hint of pink. It has a very sharp luster.
The 4th pair is the copper tone. The copper or cherry tone will have more pink than green overtone.

The very bottom two pairs are 9-10 mm.
We have more selections in this size range and I wanted to show you that
Peacock overtone can be as dark as this.
The very bottom pair is the green overtone. This pair has slightly sharper luster than
The 8-9 mm green pair (#2)."

I REALLY like the silver-y color of the smallest pair (# 3) but wish they were a bit larger. I'm also not sure if they'll be too close in color to the Akoya blues I picked..? I also really like the 2nd to last pair! I can only get one more pair at this time so.. which should I pick???

tahitian pearls.jpg

1, 3, & 5 :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

OMG drool!

The first pair is unique because they are very light in color but show the peacock very well, but you already bought 2 lighter pairs, right? So I suggest the 5th pair, even though I want them for myself :D :D

You know, I just thought of something though, the 9-10 will be a lot heavier... have you considered doing danglies? If you have small or thin lobes I actually suggest pair #1 then ::) I have a 9-10mm pair and they tend to sag unless I have larger backs on and have them on super tight.

Just a thought! :)

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1310668893|2968976 said:
You know, I just thought of something though, the 9-10 will be a lot heavier... have you considered doing danglies? If you have small or thin lobes I actually suggest pair #1 then ::) I have a 9-10mm pair and they tend to sag unless I have larger backs on and have them on super tight.

Just a thought! :)
Good point! I actually emailed PP this morning that I was going to wait until I get the whites/blues that I ordered to see how I like the sizes before I pick which Tahitian set I want. I LOVE the color of the 2nd to last pair but I also really love the first pair. I've never seen that shade/overtone IRL so it seems somewhat unique. :love:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I *think* I decided it will be between these 2.. Just depends on if I prefer 8mm or larger. I REALLY L-O-V-E the 3rd pair above (gorgeous silver overtone) but I think it's too similar to the blue Akoyas...

which ones.jpg

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm also not sure if they'll be too close in color to the Akoya blues I picked..?

Don't worry about that, they won't look similar at all - completely different "animals".

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
LALove|1310669881|2968990 said:
I *think* I decided it will be between these 2.. Just depends on if I prefer 8mm or larger. I REALLY L-O-V-E the 3rd pair above (gorgeous silver overtone) but I think it's too similar to the blue Akoyas...
I would choose the top pair of the two because the luster is much sharper. They almost look like the could have a cherry overtone which is beautiful and a good thing.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I would go for the 3rd from the top - the silvery ones, just because they are so beautiful. They're still quite different than the other 2 pair. If not the silvery one, then I would go with the top pair of the second set of pictures you posted.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
We need pics LA!!!! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results