shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose between these two LG RBCs

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
Hi! Total novice here, trying to choose between these two stones and I'm really hoping for some expert advice about which to go with and why. It will be going in a yellow gold ring setting and I'm purposely looking at slightly warmer color grades. ASET images provided by the jeweler.

Thank you in advance!

Option 1: 2.21 G VVS2
1673735743307.png ' 1673735766217.png
2.21ct ASET.jpg

Option 2: 2.30 H VVS2
1673735695846.png 1673735788667.png
2.30ct ASET.jpg

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
I’m going to take a chance and tag a few of you who seem to be actively engaging on some other posts with comments about nuance, ideal proportions, etc.

@DejaWiz @Kim N @sledge

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, InfoGatherer0906!

I would choose that HPHT all day long - your search is over! :)

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, InfoGatherer0906!

I would choose that HPHT all day long - your search is over! :)

Thank you! That sounds like a strong opinion. I’ve been looking for differentiators to help make the decision easy, but it’s difficult when you don’t know what you’re looking at. :confused:

Is that strictly because of your preference for HPHT, or are there other factors weighing into your choice as well?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
In addition to being HPHT, the proportions of the H VVS2 are very tight and the arrows are nice and clean and the lab report also states H&A.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! That sounds like a strong opinion. I’ve been looking for differentiators to help make the decision easy, but it’s difficult when you don’t know what you’re looking at. :confused:

Is that strictly because of your preference for HPHT, or are there other factors weighing into your choice as well?

I think the optical performance between the two will be quite similar*, if they were side by side.

The H VVS2 has a couple of things going for it over the G VVS2, in my opinion:
1. HPHT, especially at such a high clarity grade, will be as close to the way diamonds are made via the natural process of the Earth.
2. The 75% lowers results in thicker arrows, which usually means chunkier flashes.

* barring no issues with the CVD grown method (with PGT) such as growth graining, birefringence, light scattering causing haziness, brownish hue, etc.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree w others. The HPHT is my favorite even though I suspect they will perform similarly

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Your feedback has been really helpful and reassuring.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to being HPHT, the proportions of the H VVS2 are very tight and the arrows are nice and clean and the lab report also states H&A.

Late to the party, but I agree with all of this!

It's pretty rare to find such a great HPHT that's G or lower color without blue nuance, but you've found it! And like DejaWiz, I like the wider arrows of the H.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are good choices.

I like the G color, GIA report, smaller table and c/p combo. It will be a firey stone and the 80% lowers will help balance it. GIA doesn’t identify H&A stones but symmetry appears spot on based on the ASET. I might add the smaller table and fact lowers are reported to nearest 5% leaves some interpretation. Yes, they are more skinny than the H but it’s marginal.

The H has a near perfect Tolk c/p relationship. The table is just marginally larger and I think the contrast from the slightly fatter arrows will make that stone a performer as well. To me, the clear advantage is being classified as H&A and being HPHT. Both being VVS2 there is no real concern of clarity but I do prefer the cleaner plot of the H and the fact nothing is on the table.

Both have great ASET’s and will have optimal light return. Again two very solid choices but I also lean a little sweet on the H.

if both stones can be compared side to side I am curious how they compare in color. As you know color grades have slight range. So it may be possible you get a high G (almost F) vs a low H (almost I). Or maybe a high H and low G so they are very hard to discern. Depending exact range, it may tip you one way or the other depending on your color sensitivity, tolerance and preference.

Good luck. I don’t think there is a wrong decision to be made with these two stones.

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
Both are good choices.

I like the G color, GIA report, smaller table and c/p combo. It will be a firey stone and the 80% lowers will help balance it. GIA doesn’t identify H&A stones but symmetry appears spot on based on the ASET. I might add the smaller table and fact lowers are reported to nearest 5% leaves some interpretation. Yes, they are more skinny than the H but it’s marginal.

The H has a near perfect Tolk c/p relationship. The table is just marginally larger and I think the contrast from the slightly fatter arrows will make that stone a performer as well. To me, the clear advantage is being classified as H&A and being HPHT. Both being VVS2 there is no real concern of clarity but I do prefer the cleaner plot of the H and the fact nothing is on the table.

Both have great ASET’s and will have optimal light return. Again two very solid choices but I also lean a little sweet on the H.

if both stones can be compared side to side I am curious how they compare in color. As you know color grades have slight range. So it may be possible you get a high G (almost F) vs a low H (almost I). Or maybe a high H and low G so they are very hard to discern. Depending exact range, it may tip you one way or the other depending on your color sensitivity, tolerance and preference.

Good luck. I don’t think there is a wrong decision to be made with these two stones.

Thanks! These are not exactly side-by-side, but I don’t think there’s a hugely discernible difference in color.
(Not my hand, btw. Photos are from the jeweler.) CF525097-5CFB-4AC1-A200-C5477947B088.jpeg 2105089D-EFBD-4757-968A-79AF9BD31993.jpeg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After seeing these latest pictures, I would stick to my recommendation for the HPHT H color for the growth method peace of mind...that is strictly my own personal preference though, so go with your gut!

InfoGatherer0906

Rough_Rock
Seriously, thank you all. Your input means a lot and gives me so much peace of mind.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pictures when it comes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results