shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose between 2 RB stones!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

veroni2413

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow Pricescopers! I''ve been lurking on these boards the past month or so, trying to educate myself in order to purchase my replacement stong and setting (note to self: NEVER leave your ring at home, even to go to the gym, as burglars will hit when you least expect it).

I was finally able to narrow it down to two stones, at a local B&M store, but have been agonizing over the decision between the two. Here are the two final contenders, it basically comes down to a question of size vs cut (sparkle factor), as both stones are eye-clean under a 10x scope:

Stone A:
Round Brilliant (EGL USA certificate)
2.41 Carats
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 58.4%
Table: 60%
Crown: 13.6%
Pavilion: 41.8%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Flouresence: Faint
Measurements: 8.73 x 8.80 x 5.12
Cost: $21900

Stone B:
H&A Round Brilliant (GIA certificate)
2.18 Carats
Color: D
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 60.7
Table: 57%
Crown: 15%
Pavilion: 43.5%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flouresence: Faint
Measurements: 8.38 x 8.47 x 5.11
Cost: $21100

I should add that I loved my old stone, it was a 2.16 that looked like a 2.4 because of non-ideal proporitions, but somehow it managed to retain lots of sparkle. Just to add more info to the problem, here are the stats on my old stone, just so you have an idea of what i was used to looking at:
Old Stone:
Round Brilliant (EGL Antswerp certificate)
2.16 Carats
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 58.1
Table: 60%
Crown: 13%
Pavilion: 43%
Polish: Nothing stated
Symmetry: Nothing stated
Flouresence: None
Measurements: 8.54 x 8.49 x 4.95

I have been plugging all three into the HCA all day, just to see how they compare to each other, and it''s clear to me that the second stone is out-performing the first stone. But I wonder if it''s enough to give up the slight size upgrade on the first stone.

And lastly, are these prices good deals?

Thanks so much, any opinions and help would be hugely appreciated!!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Are you open to buy from any vendor or are you stuck with one? What is your budget?

veroni2413

Rough_Rock
I''m open to buy from wherever I get the best stone for the best price, but if these are fair prices, I''d rather go with a B&M store, since I am able to see the stones up close and they are also cutting me deals on my setting and my wedding band. My budget is 25k for everything, stone, setting and wedding band, but the settings I like are very simple. Both would be a 1.8mm pave setting 3/4 of the way around, with a 4-prong setting on the engagement ring.

veroni2413

Rough_Rock
I have seen both, and I didn''t notice a fisheye on the Stone 1, but then again, I wasn''t really looking for anything specific other than inclusions. I will be going back tomorrow to take another look at them both.

I do want to stay within the None-Faint perimeters for the flourescence, since I want to stay within the D-F color stones.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully others will chime in but these stones are not very cut well. Stone 2 is the most promising though. Do you have crown and pavillian angles too?
Here are some suggestions given te above parameters you are looking for:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5303/

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Veroni, I did a quick search on White Flash for rounds in the 2.1-2.5 carat range, color G-I and came up with several in the $17,500-$21,000 range. I didn''t evaluate each carefully but most were rated 4 stars by WF so you might have a good chance of finding a beauty in there.

Good luck!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen any ideal cut stones in person? Don''t make a decision until you at least have a chance to see a top cut stone.

You have a chance to start all over again with diamond money - check out all options including some of the recommended online vendors here. They have excellent cut stones, wonderful pricing and upgrade policies.

The stones you are looking at are not stellar in terms of cut.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5303/ This stone is in the colorless range and is much better cut. I think it would fall within your price range as well. Give Jonathan a call to make sure it is eyeclean (which I believe it probably would be). You can have this stone shipped to you and you can take it to the jeweler to compare with the stones you are looking at or have it independently appraised. If you don''t love it, you can return it and only be out the shipping costs.

I understand wanting to see the stones in person but by shopping around a bit, you can really maximize your diamond money and get a stone that will knock your socks off!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pick the first based on the cut. I''d take sparkle over size anyday, especially given that you''re already gonna have a nice big rock anyway!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''d make sure to get the crown and pavilion angles first though, or take the advice you''ve already been given about looking into really ideal cut diamonds. Cut is the most important thing to make a diamond beautiful. A great cut makes it look bigger, whiter, and more sparkly:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Verona,

So sorry to hear about your original ring. Do you have the angles for the second diamond please?

veroni2413

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the input! I won''t have the angles until today, I''m going back to the jeweler to take a look at the stones one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results