shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose a WF ACA

Lani

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

Feeling extremely grateful to have found this forum before purchasing a diamond! Thank you to all who have taken the time to offer insight, educate and post pictures for reference!

We've set a budget of $30k for the stone (some flexibility for something exceptional in value). I live in Texas and drove up to Whiteflash yesterday for an in person look at their diamonds (all stunning!) narrowing it down to the two options below (higher color vs. higher clarity). What would you select and why?

2.41ct H SI1 (easily eye clean from 10 inches):
(I personally could not spot the inclusion on the edge without the loupe)

2.51ct I VS2:
(Appeared slightly warmer from the side than the H)

Setting (Platinum): size 3.75

Looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance!

Sexypiggy

Shiny_Rock
As a non expert i would pick the H only coz of the higher color which makes it more mind clean for me.

If the size difference was more substantial I would go for the bigger stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm, what a fun choice to make! I am honestly not sure what I would choose having not seen either of them. Did either of them appeal to you more than the other? Do you think you'll want a less tinted stone? If yes, go with the H

Lani

Rough_Rock
As a non expert i would pick the H only coz of the higher color which makes it more mind clean for me.

If the size difference was more substantial I would go for the bigger stone.

I am not color sensitive, but did notice a difference between the stones when next to one another from the side view. It would be ideal to combine specs from both diamonds hitting the 2.5ct mark with H color and VS2 (eye clean / mind clean) clarity. I appreciate your input!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not color sensitive, but did notice a difference between the stones when next to one another from the side view. It would be ideal to combine specs from both diamonds hitting the 2.5ct mark with H color and VS2 (eye clean / mind clean) clarity. I appreciate your input!

I don't think the size difference will be noticible IRL (though obviously you will know better since you saw them in person

Lani

Rough_Rock
hmmm, what a fun choice to make! I am honestly not sure what I would choose having not seen either of them. Did either of them appeal to you more than the other? Do you think you'll want a less tinted stone? If yes, go with the H

The light performance was incredible for both stones! It is so hard to choose and I don't yet have the experience to know what will matter more to me long term (thankfully WF has a great upgrade policy - just in case). During the visit, I realized I am not color sensitive, but the H color would be more mind clean in that respect. The I was more mind clean in clarity. Thanks for your input!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
The H it’s a higher color and I would prefer the grade setting inclusion over the other and has a smaller table if you prefer one (although may be negligible). Good luck deciding! Fun decision to make.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since they appear identical in size and the H's inclusion is eye-clean, the H for sure!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the H. You will definitely see the tint in the I. I have a BG Signature in similar size (2.31) in H color and I can see the warmth in that!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Would you agree to go with a slightly smaller stone and get H/VS2 to satisfy both requirements: mind clean clarity AND color? Or do you value size more than a mind clean diamond (whatever that might mean to you?) This is a personal choice as no one can tell you if you are going to like H over I, SI1 over VS2. You need to figure out what would make you happy.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that's a tough choice! I like H color and I like VS2 clarity, so for me, personally, I'd choose one of these two (I'd have them check to see which is the highest H):

I think I would take the H of the two you posted, because the color likely will be more visible than the clarity.

Lani

Rough_Rock
The H it’s a higher color and I would prefer the grade setting inclusion over the other and has a smaller table if you prefer one (although may be negligible). Good luck deciding! Fun decision to make.

Good point about the grade setting inclusion. Is a smaller table preferable? Thank you!

Lani

Rough_Rock
Since they appear identical in size and the H's inclusion is eye-clean, the H for sure!

Appreciate the feedback!

Lani

Rough_Rock
Well, that's a tough choice! I like H color and I like VS2 clarity, so for me, personally, I'd choose one of these two (I'd have them check to see which is the highest H):

I think I would take the H of the two you posted, because the color likely will be more visible than the clarity.

I had them check on those two stones previously, but they have visible inclusions. If not - either diamond would have been a great option! I agree, the color will be more noticeable from day to day. Thank you for your advice!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I had them check on those two stones previously, but they have visible inclusions. If not - either diamond would have been a great option! I agree, the color will be more noticeable from day to day. Thank you for your advice!

I was just comparing a G vs. H and I ended up buying a G because I could see the color in the H. Maybe a G to H is a big jump in color- I don’t know- the pros would have to weigh in. I bought from VC. Don’t know if you‘re considering other vendors. You could try VC, HPD or BG and maybe there are others?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I was just comparing a G vs. H and I ended up buying a G because I could see the color in the H. Maybe a G to H is a big jump in color- I don’t know- the pros would have to weigh in. I bought from VC. Don’t know if you‘re considering other vendors. You could try VC, HPD or BG and maybe there are others?

I'm glad you went with the G. Given the choice, if you have the opportunity/ability to go higher color, I think a good idea. As I've said, my H in my BGD Signature that is GORGEOUS, I do see the tint. It isn't the cut (it's amazing), it is just the color nature gave it! What I definitely would recommend to anyone wholeheartedly is if someone can find a G with medium blue Fl, that is the ticket! My other BGD Signature (pendant) is just that from the BGD blue collection and it totally rivals my E diamond. You would not know, even from side view, that it is not a colorless diamond. If I ever have the opportunity to purchase another diamond (my husband will jump off a cliff haha), I would definitely pursue a G with med blue fl.

Lani

Rough_Rock
I'm glad you went with the G. Given the choice, if you have the opportunity/ability to go higher color, I think a good idea. As I've said, my H in my BGD Signature that is GORGEOUS, I do see the tint. It isn't the cut (it's amazing), it is just the color nature gave it! What I definitely would recommend to anyone wholeheartedly is if someone can find a G with medium blue Fl, that is the ticket! My other BGD Signature (pendant) is just that from the BGD blue collection and it totally rivals my E diamond. You would not know, even from side view, that it is not a colorless diamond. If I ever have the opportunity to purchase another diamond (my husband will jump off a cliff haha), I would definitely pursue a G with med blue fl.

That's funny and I appreciate the advice! :lol:

Lani

Rough_Rock

I looked on VC's site and considered having the setting made by him, but he isn't currently taking orders without the purchase of one of his stones and I did not see anything that really matched my criteria. I'm sure your ring is beautiful - his designs are lovely! Thanks for your input!

bps413

Shiny_Rock
My other BGD Signature (pendant) is just that from the BGD blue collection and it totally rivals my E diamond.

Would love to see side by side pictures!!!

Lani

Rough_Rock
For anyone who is interested in the outcome:

I decided to start off with the I color because it was mind clean for me and at the 2.5 mark! Thank you all for your input and for posting your lovely photos on this forum! =)2

DeeDee Gemologist

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Lani,

I am so happy to see that you went for the diamond over two and a half carats. It is one of those magic numbers that when you cross a certain threshold people perceive it to be better. It is what I would have suggested to you and the thing that I would have purchased had I been in your shoes. Great choice. Hope you enjoy and please post a pic when you have it finally made and finished :)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lani,

I am so happy to see that you went for the diamond over two and a half carats. It is one of those magic numbers that when you cross a certain threshold people perceive it to be better. It is what I would have suggested to you and the thing that I would have purchased had I been in your shoes. Great choice. Hope you enjoy and please post a pic when you have it finally made and finished :)

This is so interesting! I had never heard of that (or had that perception)... crossing the 2.5ct equating with being “better”. Thanks for providing that food for thought!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results