shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me about settings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a stone from WF that should be coming in next week. I had not yet made my decision with a setting but I needed to order the stone right away because two other people wanted it also(so I hope it''s a good one!).

I want it set in a classical tiffany-type setting, preferably 6-prong. I read the last few threads on 4-prong vs 6-prong and it seemed like most everyone that replied to the thread liked the 4-prong because it didn''t cover as much of the diamond as the 6. But I seem to still like the way the 6 looks. I know in the end, it''s all about selecting what I think she will love the most, but I just want some reassurance that some of you out there love your 6-prong tiff settings.

Oh yeah, the stone is a .807 ACA G, SI1. I don''t know if that affects your guys'' opinion.

One more thing, I''ve seen most of the tiffany settings to be about 2.7 mm, or some that are a 3.2mm that tapers to a 2.3. Is it possible for a platinum smith to make a classical tiffany setting that''s about 2mm thick all the way around? Or is that too thin? I don''t know much about settings...I''ve only looked at a ton of them to see what I liked. That''s why I need to go w/ platinum, cuz it''s stronger and I figured it could be possible to do a 2mm thick band...

Please help....

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
A number of woman have six prong settings and adore them! I don’t think asking about 2mm setting would be unusual. I would call whomever you plan on having set the ring and ask them if they can make something like that for you. I had a four prong first, but when I set this next stone it will be with 6 prongs for a little extra security and peace of mind!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m a proud owner of a 6 prong!
35.gif
My stone is around the same size as yours (.78ct). I originally had the generic 6 prongs, and then had Quest remake the head in a true Tiffany-style crown. The prongs are much more delicate and I can see more of the stone, esp. b/c I had them set it higher than Tiffany does with theirs (i.e., I can pretty much see the bottom of the culet whereas with Tiff''s settings, I think the stone is set lower). I also have a 4 prong solitaire, and while I love it, it does square the diamond off more. In regards to your width question, the true Tiffany setting is very thin, since it''s a thin knife edge. Don''t know if you''re interested in knife edge...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
a six prong is a must for me, although i think it''s totally a personal thing too.
i have a six prong on a WF custom ring. the band doesn''t taper at all. it is 2.5 mm wide all the way around. i don''t think WF goes down past 2.3 mm, put you could always ask. i think other vendors do.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know if your gf has any preference on the 6 prong vs. 4 prong head? As far as the 2mm band you could have it custom made but that will cost more money, and WF doesn''t like to make anything under 2.5mm. They will make it for you though, but I would expect it to be more money. You may be able to have the band shaved down to 2mm and it would probably be $50ish. I don''t know if it can be shaved down that much though so I would ask. We are getting the 2.7mm ring as well and we asked about having it shaved to 2.5 or 2.3mm and they said they could but we probably wouldn''t know the difference and if we didn''t like the ring for any reason it could not be returned. We are going to get it and see, and may decide later to shave it down. Good luck!!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
I actually thought about the knife-edge for a little but...but only for that, a little bit, he he he. My gf wants a smooth band...which makes the knife-edge out of the question.

Thanks for the reassurance about the 6-prong, I like how it makes it look a little more round than the 4...just my opinion, no offense to your 4-prongers out there
9.gif

Anyway, since you guys mentioned placement of the stone. How high should the stone usually be set in a 6-prong classical tiffany setting?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience, when the stone sits higher it looks better face-up, but I don''t like the side view as much.

When it sits lower, to me it looks better from the side and good enough face-up.

It''s all preference.

At first I hated stones set too high, but now i am used to it and the stone looks great this way.

As far as the width, why are you trying to get down to 2mm, just curious.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
under 1ct. i like 4 prongs.
2mm is ridiculosly thin. there is a reason that rings come in a heavier standard width. jewelers know what they are doing!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know why I picked 2mm exactly...well, maybe I do. My gf has extremely tiny hands and thin fingers, and another friend of mine said she mentioned wanting a thin band when they were looking at rings together a few months back.

One of my coworkers has a really thin band(I didn''t measure it, but it looked to be thinner than most that i''ve seen, so I assumed maybe it was thinner than the 2.7 or 2.5 I usually see). I know I wouldn''t really notice the difference of less than a millimeter. I guess I was just seeing how thin I could go.

I''ve seen a ton of pics of settings from all angles. But maybe it would help if there were pics of the actual rings on people''s fingers, so I could get a guage of it''s thickness.

If anyone has the time, I''d be eternally greatful if you happened to have a pic of a thin band on your finger...oh and while I''m asking for pics, if you happen to have a pic of your setting, I''d like to see the difference btwn a high and low setting as well .
17.gif

I know I know...how pushy huh?
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You could ask them to put a six prong head on this Platinum Comfort Fit Bands 2mm setting perhaps? The band is only 325$ not bad....not sure if that would work but I cannot hurt to ask.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
here is my thread. pics start with a 3 mm band with a 6-prong standard head. if you look on page 8 of the same thread, you can see a 2.5 mm band with a 6-prong solstice head.

eta: you may want to start thinking about wedding bands too.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
indecisive
I forgot to reply to your comment,
She pefers the 6-prong over the 4 prong head.

Oh yeah, what about comfort fit, vs other types of fits?

Does shaving down affect the strength of the ring if it has to be resized? That''s another question I was going to ask. I need to find a good way of finding her ring size w/o her knowing...anyone have any ideas about that?

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
jcrow
Thanks for the pics!!!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 5:48:37 PM
Author: lil_jay78
jcrow

Thanks for the pics!!!

Your ring is awesome! I really like how it looks!

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
lil_jay, have you considered rounded bands (a 3rd alternative to "flat" or "knife-edge"). Like the knife-edge, they have the illusion of looking thinner. My band is rounded and 3mm at the widest part, next to the stone, and tapers down to about 2mm. I can''t tell at all even next to my ruler.

Agree with Logan Sapphire that Quest''s 6-prong Tiffany is very dainty and beautiful. Their default band seems to be thinner like you wanted, too.

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Hi lil_jay78
35.gif

I just LOVE the 6 prong Tiffany setting and I did lots and lots of investigating for this ring (I''ve now kinda changed my mind slightly, but lets not go there - lol - it''s only extra diamonds on the band!!).

I this these rings are just perfect..These are just some recent ones....

Whopper rock warning though!
31.gif

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/pictures-as-promised-2-35-round-in-knife-edge-setting-t39540.html

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/superbcert-tiffany-classic-photos.40340/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-solitaire.41297/ - heart prongs

You have the link to jcrow''s ring too.

Awww, they''re all so pretty!
30.gif

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 6:34:11 PM
Author: MissIndecisive
Hi lil_jay78
35.gif

I just LOVE the 6 prong Tiffany setting and I did lots and lots of investigating for this ring (I''ve now kinda changed my mind slightly, but lets not go there - lol - it''s only extra diamonds on the band!!).

I this these rings are just perfect..These are just some recent ones....

Whopper rock warning though!
31.gif

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/pictures-as-promised-2-35-round-in-knife-edge-setting-t39540.html

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/superbcert-tiffany-classic-photos.40340/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-solitaire.41297/ - heart prongs

You have the link to jcrow''s ring too.

Awww, they''re all so pretty!
30.gif
Dude! Thanks for the links! I really do like the 6-prongs...

Do you know where that Mark Morrell guy is located?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Have you gone in person to look at the mm differences? I went before ordering mine (4 prong 3mm cathedral) as I thought I really wanted 2.5 mm. But after trying on a 2.5 mm it was awfully thin for my taste. My eternity band is 2.7 mm and then my cathedral is the 3mm and I think they look great together and I have short fingers LOL. Just my 2c. Some of the mall stores didn''t have the mm measurer but I went to a few nicer stores such as Heltzberg and Jareds and they had the tool to measure and that''s how I found out I liked the 3mm. Just a suggestion. I think you''d visually get to see that 2 and 2.5 are pretty thin!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thx for the suggestion small, I''ll try to walk into a B&M sometime this week! I measured the diff btwn them myself already as I have some precision measuring instruments and yeah, I don''t see a big difference for .5mm But from what I know, my gf definitely wants it on the thinner side...the e-ring band, that is
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Does she have any rings she wears on her left ring finger now, you could always do an imprint on a bar of soap. Or you could take her grocery shopping at walmart and kidd her about trying on the CZ rings and see what size she goes for, and then ask it that is right...or you could just flat out ask her, as she may have a prefrances for a slightly looser ering so it is still comfry when she add her wedding band.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2006 5:28:54 PM
Thx for the suggestion small, I''ll try to walk into a B&M sometime this week! I measured the diff btwn them myself already as I have some precision measuring instruments and yeah, I don''t see a big difference for .5mm But from what I know, my gf definitely wants it on the thinner side...the e-ring band, that is
9.gif
My e-ring made by Quest is 1.9 mm with pave on the top....I really like that it''s so thin but I wouldn''t go any thinner than that...I tried on the Ritani wedding band and thought that was really too thin. At 1.9mm it still feels substantial without feeling like it''s going to break at any time. JMHO
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
go with the 6 prong 3mm setting.just perfect.
2.gif
36.gif

blondie76

Rough_Rock
For some reason I think of 2 mm is the "standard" size for aTiiffany-style solitaire. I can tell the difference between 2 and 2.5 for sure and I would not go thicker than that just b/c of personal preference. If she''s mentioned it before, your girlfriend may be like me so I''d definitely try aim for a 2 or a 2.5 band. Good luck!

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 7:47:59 PM

Dude! Thanks for the links! I really do like the 6-prongs...

Do you know where that Mark Morrell guy is located?

Hey lijay! Sorry for not getting back to you but I don''t know where you can find Mark Morrell - I''m in Sydney Australia
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results