shape
carat
color
clarity

please help, is this worth the $??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rezzihs

Rough_Rock
I Just took my diamond that I bought online to a reputable jeweler and he told me that what I got was not a good deal and that I overpaid. Here are the facts:Ideal cut
62.1%
57%
color F
clarity IF
florescens: none
.82 carats
for $5,557.00what do you think?? I am starting to feel that for the money I paid I should be getting a 1 carat. one more thing I was looking on this site's place for what you should pay per carat, How do I find out if this is a 1 A or 2 A or whatever. From the looks of those charts I did overpay for this thing. I am begining to really hate diamonds now. Why is there so much crap involved in this??!!!!

rezzihs

Rough_Rock
Well I'm starting to feel a little better after hearing your reply. The diamond is a GIA cert.
Girdle thin to medium faceted.
Culet small
Polish very good
symmetry very good
measurements 5.98 6.04 x 3.73Now that I think about it, I'm sure he was trying to push his diamonds, I bought it online and his brother and himself proceded to knock everything the internet had to offer, saying that everything was more expensive if you buy it online. Well I know that's far from the truth. I wasn't in the store for long but He did show me a couple of his stones and I do believe that they were graded with the european grading or whatever that was. I've got to you that this site has been so extremely helpful. thank you.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know that it can be a daunting task to shop for something about which we are not experts. Invest a few hours in reading:
http://www.goodoldgold.com There is a WEALTH of well written info there that will give you knowledge that will make you far more comfortable in the diamond search. I HIGHLY recommend that sight. I knew very little about diamonds and now feel that I can make intelligent decisions, talk to sellers knowing what I want, know when I am getting fed a line, etc. Give it a read!Regards,The Rodentman

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Rezzihs, you could get similar diamond for a few hundreds cheaper or a bit better diamonds for the same money. However, you paid reasonable price for the rear clarity and it is definitely not a rip-off.As for "ideal" cut, you should know crown and pavilion angles too. Have a look also at Garry Holloway tutorial on this site, www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp , especially the cut related contents.

rezzihs

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for the replies, I checked out that site and it is definately loaded with info. Thanks for the feedback

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
rezzihs,There is a bad traditional attitude in some in the business that it is OK to criticise what a customer has purchased in an attempt to get them to swap to what your'e trying to sell. You don't need to worry about the price of what you bought and as you've noticed, the seller was trying to exploit your uncertainty. Ignore it or use a real appraiser who doesn't sell diamonds if you remain worried.Or just search for similar diamonds here and see how the trends look. You'll see that you got a fair price for what you have.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd say that if the diamond matches the report, and it more than likely does, that you got a very fair deal. It would be unlikely that you could do a whole lot better.It is commonplace for a store to criticize anything bought anywhere else. It sounds wrong to me, but I sympathize with the storekeeper, too. If you trust them enough to ask their advice, you should also have given them the opportunity to compete for your business. Maybe the profit is low on this deal, but they might have made you into a future customer where you need a personal touch instead of an internet dealer.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Dave,Sad that you have to expect a store to lie, though. Sometimes the traditions of the business aren't so helpful to engendering customer confidence.Still, it's good for the independent appraisal busines so there's a bright side for you.
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rezzihs,There are not so many similar stones listed...I found this one for less than $49000.82 F IF 61.9% 59% GIA m-sl.tk no vg vg noThis one is not AGS-ideal though.Does your stone has AGS or GIA report? What are other cut data (symmetry, polish, girdle, culet, crown and pavilion angles)?You might get similar diamond cheaper but not too much though.Who is the vendor? Do they have good return policy? There are many (100-200) wesites today offereng diamonds. Some internet dealers are working for 5-8% markup other have higher prices. Ask your jeweler who thinks you overpaid to quote another diamond for you and post the details here as well. Who knows, maybe he can get you a really good deal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results