shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help - is this poor workmanship on my custom engagement ring? What do I need to ask the jeweler to fix?

Kyzet

Rough_Rock
I'm concerned with a few aspects of this ring, but I don't have enough (any) experience with platinum or custom jewelry to know what's normal. This is my engagement ring and I absolutely love the design and the stones... but I want the setting and finished product to be the heirloom quality that I expected. Please help!

First issue - the ring was given to us with two extra vertical support pieces in the gallery. We brought it back and the jeweler removed them in under 30 minutes, giving the current version, shown in all the other pics. I also included the CAD design. I know a human is never going to make something a smooth as the computer rendering, but there are a lot more lumpy bits/toolmarks/?? than I was expecting.

The piece connecting the prongs on the front/back (where they removed the extra vertical pieces) still looks wonky to me... like it's uneven and slightly lumpy. On the sides with that scallop above the diamond side stones, it looks much more "finished" (so I know the jeweler is capable of it!) The 'V' where the prongs connect also isn't totally smooth, and on one of those sides, one prong looks shaved down and thinner than the other prong.

Is the texture on the band, under the diamond settings normal? Are the prongs uneven on the top view? ... I'm questioning everything now.

I would be extremely grateful for any guidance on whether any of these things need to be fixed, whether I need to go to a new jeweler, or whether I need to adjust my expectations. Thank you!

Side 1 (3).JPG Side 1.JPG Front (2).JPG Side 2 (2).JPG Side 3 (2).JPG bad 1.jpg bad 2.jpg design.jpg

First, welcome to the foum and congrats on your engagement! Was this piece hand-forged or cast? If hand-forged, one expects to see a bit more "character" in the platinum or gold. Truthfully, I didn't notice anything straight away, until I zoomed in on your pix. I do see what you're talking about with respect to tool marks. I imagine at eye level in person though, they're not particularly visible. Everything else looks great, with the exception of the prongs. It looks like they're holding the center stone well enough, but I agree they're a bit wonky. I think they could have been executed more symmetrically and also with a crisper claw shape. I see no problem with you addressing these issues with your jeweler. Sometimes it takes a bit of back and forth with these pieces, and they should expect that, especially with something as important as an engagement ring. Your money, your satisfaction. Good luck! It's a beautiful ring!!

Kyzet

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response! It was cast, and by a 3rd party. (The jeweler told my fiancé this when he took the ring back to have the extra support piece in the gallery removed. I don’t think we knew this beforehand… but also didn’t know to ask.)
We contacted the jeweler yesterday to come back in and discuss how to move forward. I definitely want to get the prongs (and V where they meet) cleaned up, and to address the texturing on the band under the gallery.

Thank you for the response! It was cast, and by a 3rd party. (The jeweler told my fiancé this when he took the ring back to have the extra support piece in the gallery removed. I don’t think we knew this beforehand… but also didn’t know to ask.)
We contacted the jeweler yesterday to come back in and discuss how to move forward. I definitely want to get the prongs (and V where they meet) cleaned up, and to address the texturing on the band under the gallery.

I think you made the right call, and hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction!! Do stop back in and let us know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results