shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! Is this E Ring really that bad?

spongle

Rough_Rock
I need some help, more specifically from the ladies. I've been with my gf for 4 1/2 years and would like to propose on our 5th anniversary.
I've spent a last few weeks researching rings and everything I need to know about them non stop, the 4cs, everything. I'm only 22 and don't make much money. I was looking around on ebay(I know, shame on me) and found a ring that I thought looked pretty good. Was a decent ct size, not the worse color and clarity, and didn't look that old.

[This was the auction, has all the info and photoes about the rings in it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330613424693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I liked the marquise diamond, read about how it looks elegant and makes skinny fingers looks nice, and how a small ct size would look a bit bigger. I liked the design of the ring a lot more then others I have scene in my price range. Its a solitaire soldiered to a wrap to add more diamonds(can separate it if I want). I won the auction for only $430 and that was WAY lower then I thought I was going to.

But then I was browsing around after I bought it and since I had paid so much attentions to aspects of the ring and diamond I didn't know how horribly out of date it was. My gf will be 21, dont want her feeling out of place when everyone is getting rounds and princess cuts. The ring doesn't look like that old of a style to me but I know nothing about the trends. Everyone that seems to like it is like 40 years old. She knows nothing about diamonds either but I just don't know if she would like it.

Give me an honest opinion please. If you were presented with this ring what would you think given it is just like it says in the ebay description. I know the ring is not what matters but I don't want here walking around feeling like she is wearing an antique and doesnt want to tell me.

I can return it within 7 days if I want so I need to decide soon. Also do you think $430 for this was an ok deal? Thanks

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The way you described it I was expecting a trainwreck, but it's actually very pretty in my opinion. I think it will polish up nicely. I don't think it looks too old (I'm 28). You could always reset the diamond later. With the price of gold and diamonds these days I'm sure that's a fine price.

spongle

Rough_Rock
kelpie|1316801792|3023992 said:
The way you described it I was expecting a trainwreck, but it's actually very pretty in my opinion. I think it will polish up nicely. I don't think it looks too old (I'm 28). You could always reset the diamond later. With the price of gold and diamonds these days I'm sure that's a fine price.

lol I'm not that far off base, some of the things you come across on there...eww.

Thanks very much, do you have any suggestions on how to polish or do you need to get a jeweler to do that. I've read how to clean with baking soda and stuff. Also what do you mean reset the diamond? Like get another in its place

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd have the wrap taken off. I think it would look more *now* AND *classic* just as a solitaire. (The tiny diamonds in the wrap don't look that great to me & the design of that piece looks dated.)

Marquise shapes have had a recent comeback - so there's a CHANCE it will seem fashion-FORWARD! But skip the wrap. Go to a good jeweler to have it separated even if it costs a bit more to do so ($50 ... $100?). Maybe get the ring repolished also (or dipped if the solitaire portion is white gold) That will freshen the whole thing up also. You want it to be nice & shiny & new for her right?

Good luck!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1316802566|3024005 said:
I'd have the wrap taken off. I think it would look more *now* AND *classic* just as a solitaire. (The tiny diamonds in the wrap don't look that great to me & the design of that piece looks dated.)

Marquise shapes have had a recent comeback - so there's a CHANCE it will seem fashion-FORWARD! But skip the wrap. Go to a good jeweler to have it separated even if it costs a bit more to do so ($50 ... $100?). Maybe get the ring repolished also (or dipped if the solitaire portion is white gold) That will freshen the whole thing up also. You want it to be nice & shiny & new for her right?

Good luck!
This is a good idea, even if she likes the wrap she shouldn't be wearing the full wedding set when she's only engaged. Soldered rings are just a pet peeve of mine too. I didn't realize it was a wrap. Yes, rhodium dipping is a good idea if she doesn't wear yellow gold (though if she wants the wear the wrap I guess it doesn't matter unless she wants the wrap to be all white).

ETA- polishing should be done by a jeweler. Also have it sized if you know her ring size. It's cheap. Never heard of baking soda, I would think that's too corse. By "reset" I meant you could switch the same diamond to a new ring if she doesn't like the style.

Just_Ducky

Rough_Rock
I agree-I think it's a fine ring, and it seems like a good price to me (although I'm not very knowledgeable). I honestly think it may look a little 'older' in style (I'm 30), but style is very subjective-she may love it! Can you feel her tastes out a little? Not everyone loves w/y golds mixed together, so that may be something else to check with her on.

Since you mentioned paying much less than you expected to, If you are worried she will not like it, I would suggest getting a new setting for the center stone, and then selling the setting it came in. Maybe get something with a halo or some pave diamonds down the band. Those styles tend to be a little 'trendier' now, and something she may be more fond of. But, everyone is different! Good luck! :)

spongle

Rough_Rock
decodelighted|1316802566|3024005 said:

Good luck!

I'm wondering if I should just return it then, get me 450 back. the money I would save on the separation, and re polishing I could put towards just getting a solitaire that's more modern. Shes into all kinds of vintage old school crap, but doesn't were any rings so im not sure if I could use that excuse for this =P

I think she likes the whitegold mix, I got her a heart necklace 4 years ago that is white and yellow gold, she loves it.

Ill wait and see what state it is when it comes in the mail, may look better then I would think. Thanks for everyones posts so far.

EDIT Ive been reading on the rhodium dips. Makes it look new, is it possible to do with a ring with diamonds on it like this?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're starting over: what about this? https://www.pricescope.com/forum/pr...and-platinum-blue-nile-pave-ring-t166064.html I think it's beautiful! And a bargain!

I would NOT rhodium dip a yellow gold ring to give as a gift. That's a temporary solution and the yellow would show through eventually. Its fine if someone is doing it *themselves* but it could be an unpleasant surprise for someone else to discovered -- especially on such an important, sentimental piece of jewelry.

spongle

Rough_Rock
decodelighted|1316804586|3024036 said:
If you're starting over: what about this? https://www.pricescope.com/forum/pr...and-platinum-blue-nile-pave-ring-t166064.html I think it's beautiful! And a bargain!

I would NOT rhodium dip a yellow gold ring to give as a gift. That's a temporary solution and the yellow would show through eventually. Its fine if someone is doing it *themselves* but it could be an unpleasant surprise for someone else to discovered -- especially on such an important, sentimental piece of jewelry.

Yeah something like that doesn't look half bad. It seems if I can save up 1500$ or around there I could get a nice solitaire. Im now broke at the moment though =(

Could you possibly redip it every 6 months or so to keep it white or will the white really come off THAT fast? I don't think it would look bad if it had a fresh white coat on it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
spongle|1316805364|3024054 said:
Could you possibly redip it every 6 months or so to keep it white or will the white really come off THAT fast? I don't think it would look bad if it had a fresh white coat on it.
a) Redipping isn't free. Do you want that expense every 6 months for the rest of your life?
b) Redipping won't really help what's wrong with that wrap in my opinion -- the side marquise are dead (appear black & flat) and the setting just is a dated shape and clunky looking for the size of center stone.

The ring I linked is just $550. Not much more than the ring you bought + the cost of separating and/or polishing it. Another option is to propose with a gold band until you can afford the cost of the ring you're hoping to give her. You could use that original band as the wedding band.

Just some ideas ...

spongle

Rough_Rock
decodelighted|1316806072|3024072 said:
spongle|1316805364|3024054 said:
a) Redipping isn't free. Do you want that expense every 6 months for the rest of your life?
b) Redipping won't really help what's wrong with that wrap in my opinion -- the side marquise are dead (appear black & flat) and the setting just is a dated shape and clunky looking for the size of center stone.

The ring I linked is just $550. Not much more than the ring you bought + the cost of separating and/or polishing it. Another option is to propose with a gold band until you can afford the cost of the ring you're hoping to give her. You could use that original band as the wedding band.

Just some ideas ...

Well i wouldn't hope for her to have this one forever. I know that other one is a good deal, I already bought this one and have to wait for it though before I can do anything. Yeah I read its between 25-50 dollars, that not too bad if it lasted half a year.

I could separate it and just use the solitaire part for now. Get that all shined up and buffed. It all depends to me how it actually looks in person.

The gold band isn't a bad idea either, Ive thought of that but she not a fan of online shopping, and I don't like purchasing stuff in overpriced stores. For 1500-2000 you can get something really nice online.

Thanks for your help. Ive got about 7 months to figure something out, should be plenty of time

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the pictures ... the center Marquise of the ring you selected looks pretty (especially for the price). I hope you love it when you get it. The stone ALONE would be a good deal for that price. If you like the center stone -- you should probably keep the ring and just decide in the next 7 months if you want to reset it in a different setting or just remove the wrap -- depending on your tastes and budget at that time.

Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

spongle

Rough_Rock
decodelighted|1316807823|3024102 said:
From the pictures ... the center Marquise of the ring you selected looks pretty (especially for the price). I hope you love it when you get it. The stone ALONE would be a good deal for that price. If you like the center stone -- you should probably keep the ring and just decide in the next 7 months if you want to reset it in a different setting or just remove the wrap -- depending on your tastes and budget at that time.

Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

Will probably do that. Thanks for all your advice. I'm new here but definitely plan on sticking around :D

Also one more thing. When you say the side diamonds are dead, I can see what you are talking about. At some of the views they appear dark. Is that the way they were made, or did that somehow happen over time? Are they just lower grade

EDIT I think i figured it out. If the marquise diamonds are cut with too much depth they will avoid the bow tie effect but will appear to be dull and dark

spongle

Rough_Rock
Just as a little update. I managed to inconspicuously show her a picture of the ring through a posting on craiglist. We were talking about gem stones since her grandfather makes jewelry so I went on craiglist to a post I made for the ring and was just asking her what she thought of certain styles of rings and necklaces etc posted on craigslist. No hint it was for her ring...or was even about a ring atall.

She thought it was ugly=( little disappointing but I am glad that I know now. I'm just going to stick with a simple solitaire possibly with some accent diamonds, or maybe a 3 stone rings. Just going to save up and get a modern style, I done enough searching to know what looks nice. I'm probably going to just sit on this ring for now though, im sure I can get at least what I paid for it sometime down the road via Craigslist or an ebay re post.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Honestly as someone who is younger and also go married young (we were 22). I would return it. It is outdated and though you are young and on a budget I wouldn't want to start off married life, but proposing with a ring you paid $400 on ebay. Especially one where you will have to put more money into to polish it, remove the wrap etc. While honestly it is not a train wreck by any means, it is also not somethign I think most 21 years olds would want. Can I offer a better suggestion?

My DH got me a temporary ring when we got engaged. And then we upgraded when we were both working and more established. Have you thought about perhaps going with a colored gemstone and letting her pick a diamond later on down the road? Or if you really want a diamond then just get a classic solitare and she can build it up with stacking rings. I would personally do one of those 2 options. On the PS preloved jewels there are a few classic solitares for sale that I would look into.

Check out the CS forum- there are tons of rings on there that can be made for extremely inexpensive that would be wonderful erings.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The craigslist idea was really clever. Are you outside the return window? If you still have the option to return I would absolutely do it. There are plenty of other gems in the sea to buy if you free up the funds.

spongle

Rough_Rock
SaraBear621-thanks for your help. Im on a budget now so I could take car of some stuff before married life =P it would be a good while after getting engaged to. Yeah im not sure what i was thinking buying this though. I still have around 6 months so i can probly save around 1500-2000 can get something pretty decent within that range. Maybe a 2 stone or simple solitaire.

Kelpie- no i havnt even gotten it in the mail yet and can return within 7 days. Probably what I am going to do. Thanks for your help

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would start over too! Is she open to diamond alternatives ? +1 to CS forum, a colored stone would make a beautiful ering :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you let your girlfriend see it for her to decide, even if she didn't know this is what she was doing. May I make a suggestion? It's ok to, and some couples do this, let her choose the ring. I know some men and some women don't want to do it this way, but it's a suggestion.

I would buy a Whiteflash ACA or Brain Gavin Signature (I believe it's called) branded cut diamond and buy the least expensive, simple setting they sell to go with it, if it were me, all fitting in your budget, of course. You could probably go down to a J color without it looking "yellow" (I don't think diamonds look "yellow" until a lot lower than J, personally) and down to an eye clean SI1, and you'd get guaranteed quality and solid value, with the largest possible diamond.

Good luck!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
I would start over, some SI 1 can be really nice!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage is in!

I like the solitaire, without the wrap. I don't think you did badly for your money and rumour has it that shape is making a come back. However, to me it is still a bit dated. Maybe see what you think when it arrives in the post? If it doesn't work out, return and start over!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results