shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help... Is my new diamond cloudy?

Crunch

Rough_Rock
Hello

I recently purchased my engagement ring from a popular online retailer.

Unfortunately I noticed today that, when tilted, I can see what I think might be cloud in the stone.

Would you all mind taking a look at the photos attached and letting me know what you think?

I'm quite surprised considering it's a VS1 stone. Other specs include:

GIA cert
G color
Triple excellent
Hearts and arrows
No flurenscence
Depth 61.8
Table 56
Crown 35.5
Pavilion 40.6

Im within my return period and can send the ring back if I wish. Before I do that, however, I'm reaching out to you to see what you think? Is it actually cloud? How could it be if the stone is vs1? Could it be something else?

It's also worth mentioning that I gave the ring a good clean with hot water and dishwashing liquid, but this didn't change the stone.

Thanks for your input.

image_3908.jpg
image_3907.jpg
image_3906.jpg
image_3909.jpg

Crunch

Rough_Rock
I should also mention that there's no visible issues when looking at the stone directly.

image_3910.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a link to the cert?

I'm not sure I see anything in the pictures but I think you might just be looking at leakage that shows up when you tilt a stone.
You are not going to get crisp facets at every angle you look at your stone (this is normal).

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clicking on the links led me to BN homepage and I can't see the cert. Does your diamond have very strong fluorescence?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1444234179|3935839 said:
Clicking on the links led me to BN homepage and I can't see the cert. Does your diamond have very strong fluorescence?
should not able to see fluor indoor unless it is under a UV light.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1444261330|3936017 said:
thecat|1444234179|3935839 said:
should not able to see fluor indoor unless it is under a UV light.

Could be photographed near a window which would provide enough UV light. But the cert states Fluorescence: none so that isn't the issue. The GIA cert says Clouds are not shown. I'd assume they aren't grade setting and rather minute hence their exclusion.

ks2012

Rough_Rock
I had the same experience a few months ago with a diamond I purchased from Blue Nile. When it arrived I thought I must have been sent the wrong stone because it had just about no sparkle or fire and looked cloudy. The diamond I had ordered was an ideal cut VVS2, so to receive a dead and cloudy stone was puzzling. It turned out the diamond was just very dirty. Before I sent it back I decided to clean it a few times with a specialized jewelry cleaner, just in case. It took about four cleans, but finally the diamond looked clear and sparkly. I'm not sure what was coating the diamond, but it was quite tenacious. So I think you might need more than dishwash liquid to clean your ring, get some jewelry cleaner or take it in to a jewelry shop to get a professional clean, and then see what it looks like. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results