shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help identify center stone

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
9B17BD70-A26B-4D3E-AF8F-780D15967706.jpeg 0F6E3E8E-4D8C-4D50-9423-6D84593A03B2.jpeg 8778BFE7-BB86-436E-B924-06690F0EC76C.jpeg Hello fellow PSers and gem enthusiasts,

I recently got married (last Saturday in beautiful South Lake Tahoe) and would like your valuable expertise in identifying the center stone in the attached photos. To my untrained eye, the color transitions between a dark blue and a purple-blue. At first I thought it might be a topaz, but the color doesn’t seem to match any typical blue topazes such as London, Swiss, Sky, or Electric blue. Nor can I determine if the stone is natural or lab-created. If the later, could topazes come in greater color variation? Otherwise, I’m leaning towards sapphire, but again I can’t seem to find close examples online.

Once the type of stone has been identified, I’d like to source a loose one (ideally precision cut) to be set into a similar pendant. Any suggestions on vendors?

Basically, this piece was my something borrowed and something blue and my now husband wants to get/make one for me as a wedding gift. I’ve seen similar at Kay’s and Rogers, but they seemed overpriced and the stone’s lacked life (were windowy). So, I’m back here doing my research so that we can make an informed purchase.

Alternatively, I’ve hinted at a Montana Teal Sapphire pendant necklace as we almost sourced one for my e-ring and I’m still intent on owning one.

Thank you!

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Update...walked into another jewelers store, this time armed with photos. And bingo, it is a tanzanite. And the hunt begins.

voce

Ideal_Rock
My guess would be tanzanite. However--it may be a sapphire. The thing is about colored gems, many specimens may have the same color. You need to send it to GIA or AGL for proper identification, as not even GIA graduates could ascertain with any degree of certainty what specimen this is based only on pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results