shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE HELP. I need your opinions on this.

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m looking to get engaged soon (within a month), and I started shopping for engagement stones. I know I''m going to probably buy online, the prices cant be beat. I''ve spent HOURS on this site. What are your thoughts on this diamond from James Allen?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1304505.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

It seems like a decent diamond. I used the "Holloway Cut Advisor" and it seems okay. Am I missing something, or does it look good?! Thanks in advance!

David

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here are some specs if you don''t want to go to the link.

Item Number: 1304505
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.31
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55.6%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.03*7.05*4.34

Crown Angle: 35.3°
Crown %: 15.60
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion %: 43.00

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good so far. We need to see a hearts image, which they have not posted yet, and an ideal scope to know for sure how it stacks up. I have a VS1 and like the clarity a lot, but you can save a little money by dropping to VS2. Just food for thought.

Here is another option, again just for comparison:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2329031.htm

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Holy crap! That''s a good looking one too! There are so many to choose from...How do you make a final decision without looking back wondering if you got the best stone for the money?!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 1:49:02 PM
Author: DLIM
Holy crap! That''s a good looking one too! There are so many to choose from...How do you make a final decision without looking back wondering if you got the best stone for the money?!
haha you keep wondering for a month or two, and then prices jump and all of a sudden your diamond looks like a fantastic deal
2.gif

or maybe that''s just me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:57:50 PM
Author: yssie

Date: 5/27/2010 1:49:02 PM
Author: DLIM
haha you keep wondering for a month or two, and then prices jump and all of a sudden your diamond looks like a fantastic deal
2.gif

or maybe that''s just me.
LOL!

DLIM the policies differ between JA and WF, as do the settings they offer, that might tip you one way or the other. Personally, if I want an H&A diamond I buy from WF, BGD, or GOG. James Allen in my mind is better for non H&A stones. Nothing *wrong* with their H&As, it is just not their niche market and I like to buy H&A stones from vendors who specialize in them exclusively (or near exclusivelty).

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I wonder if I should just "bite the bullet," and find one that looks good and just buy it! How important is Symmetry and Polish? I know that "ideal" is what I should be looking for, but if there is a stone that is measured to be "excellent," is there a noticeable difference from an eye clean distance? I''m doing these searches on the site, and find A LOT of stones, but most are excellent or very good in the polish and symmetry description. I keep looking for ideal, but they''re much fewer to choose from.

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I don''t necessarily have to have an HA stone. I was just told that they represent near perfect symmetry and that it''s usually a sign of a good diamond. Someone told me that in order to create the HA shapes in the diamond, it has to be cut perfectly symmetrically. Have I been misinformed? Is an HA stone better than other non-HA stones? This is all really new to me...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you wont see id-ex or ex-vg pol/sym with your eyes and it wont affect performance (in case you're wondering you can have perfect optical symmetry (H&A patterns) w/out perfect physical symmetry (facet meets) )

H&A isn't a requirement for a top performer but the PS H&A brands make it easy to choose a great stone. But there's a premium. If you want perfect optical symmetry then purchasing a branded H&A w/ hearts pic is the only way to ensure.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ideal is only given by AGS. GIA best grade will be Ex. But to people without training and equipment, there is no difference between the top 2 grades, Ideal/Ex for AGS and Ex/VG for GIA.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are going to just pick one, I recommend sticking with PS vendors and branded cuts which are H&A, which as Yssie said, guarantee a great cut. If you want to save money then sift through James Allen''s "ideal" category of diamonds and post potentials here and we can help you choose!

DLIM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks you so much for the info. The diamond you suggested from Whiteflash looks promising. I''m really going to have to look at that one long and hard. The problem is...there are so many damn diamonds to choose from! As soon as I think I found a good one, another one pops up and I start thinking, "Maybe this one is better?!"

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, in that size and color and clarity range there are many options. It is the most popular specs range and so vendors stock a lot of those diamonds. What is less common is diamonds above 1.3ct and especially close to 1.4ct because cutters would rather reach the 1.5ct mark if they can. In my opinion, the WF stone is a rare find. As you can see it is presently reserved and I expect will be sold within the day
4.gif
Once a stone is recommended by a PSer, it usually sells quickly. There are lots of "lurkers" who do not post and just buy recommended diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results