shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! I am miserable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmnapoli

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been searcing for stone now for almost 4 months. We started out with knowing I wanted an f color, than we setled on clarity of VS2. Then I started researching cut and the nightmares began!!!!! First, there is no set ideal for Emerald cut diamonds. I found David Atlas' site and his ideal suggested dimensions, but finding these characteristics has been a nightmare. I have been to numerous dealers and I have one very patient dealer, but everyone's patience are beginning to wear thin. I recently found a 2.27 EC stone with proportions of 1.33 to 1 lxw, Depth = 66, Table = 67, VS2 and G color. I know I said I wanted an F, but this is a beautiful stone. No culet, no fluorescence, vg symmetry, excellent polish. Now for the problem. At first I was a little hesitant given it was a G so I asked the lady if I could come back in and look at it next vto an F, given that normally even without an F color stone next to it I can see yellow, but this time I could not. Then I was a little hesitant because the corners are cut a little more slanted than most emerald cuts I have seen and when I called an apraiser who said he studied with David Atlas and he told me I was in the 2B range of diamonds and should look for something better. Than he told me I should ask the dealer for the crown angle and a Sarin report. Well she couldn't give it to me. Willing to take the chance and purchase the stone and bring it to David Atlas to be appraised I called her up and asked her about her return policy if everything wasn't up to par. The woman I had been dealing with wasn't there and I spoke with her boss who flipped out on the phone screaming at me that she has never dealt with anyone like me in her 27 years of business. She said everyone had been laughing at me because I had so many specifications and that the only confirmation she allows is that the stone is dropped off at GIA or any other accredited lab and when we pick the stone up in 4 days, I pay her and thats the end of story. She said that I was wasting her time for the $1150 she was making on the stone and they do not offer any type of money-back guarantee as long as the stone matches up with GIA. I will have you know that originally on Saturday when we went to see the stone, her husband Jeff ahd said it was OK to give us 7-10 business days to get the stone GIA cert and appraised at the Jewelery Doctor in Long Island, NY. Now she is livid and said we have made her wait to long for the $. I don't think 3 days to make an enormous decision as this is that long! I don't know what to do. I was so upset today and I don't know if I will be able to find a deal like the one I was getting again. The stone was only costing us $14,150. I have looked on the internet and with the specs I want, if I can even find them, the prices are a $1000 more or better. I said to her that she must not have confidence in her stone or there would not be a problem, but she said they are involved in the 47th ST better business district counsel (HEADS) and we could call up thebetter business bureau to see they have no compalints. I am so upset, confused and am starting to think maybe I am too critical and insane. Please offer some help. Thanks.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Hi cmnapoli -

I know how stressful this diamond buying thing is.

I see that you are from NY and am assuming LI based on your post. One of the places I looked and would recommend is Good Old Gold in Massapequa Park on Sunrise Hwy. They have emerald cuts that you can see on their website called www.goodoldgold.com. We did not end up buying there because what he had in stock was a G color and we wanted (and found) a colorless stone. But, Jonathan was extremely nice and helpful when we visited. You may want to try them before driving yourself crazy.

Good Luck!!!:bigsmile:

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I have similar experience asking for crown/pavilion angles or Sarin report info fr. stores and dealers, but so far none have them. It seems buying fr. the internet, you can't see the stone, but you are given a lot more info than local stores, and most have return policy.

Stores are not used to dealing with such educated buyers who have learned a lot fr. internet or elsewhere. I often wonder if I am overparanoid with the info I know, and I got apprehensive not knowing the crown/pavilion angles of stone I bought, but stone looks nice, so I just bought it without the crown/pav. info.

cmnapoli

Rough_Rock
Thank you, but I live in Brooklyn and work in the city. Any other places we might try? Did you get an emerald cut and did you get all the ideal proportions David Atlas suggests? Or am I being too crazy to try?

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I did not get an emerald, I got a round brilliant (easier to find).

As for other places, I live in the DC area so I don't know what else is around NY. Just to prove how crazy we are, we drove up to NY and to Philly to look for diamonds. I have to admit though that I was born in Brooklyn and raised on LI so it was like going home again.:bigsmile:

keg

Rough_Rock
Well, whether the diamond was a bargain or not, that is just plain rude!:-o 3 days is nothing for so much money...we have been stuffing our dealer around for weeks, changing our mind about which stone we wanted and asking every question imaginable! (and that's just for a stone around half a carat) If she is part of the Better Business Bureau then you would think she would know something about customer service...you get treated better buying a hamburger. I have had similar experiences as mbn asking about measurements etc. but i have to also wieght up the cost of customs in buying over the net as i am in Australia and most of the good deals are in the US.

-keg

keg

Rough_Rock
i guess we can now fully apreciate the saying: "ignorance is bliss"

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
cmnapoli,

Don't let them pressure you! This is a huge purchase and even if you were being unreasonable (which you're not) they should "politely" tell you so! If it were me, I'd take a deep breath, politely tell them thanks, but no thanks and continue looking. It is difficult to find an emerald cut, however they can be found!

I ended up getting a 1.19 ct (significantly smaller than you are looking for!), F, VVS2 with a 65% table, 64.4% depth, medium girdle, no fluorescence, VG polish, VG symmetry. It was a beautiful stone. I had it checked out be rockdoc as well! The point is that there are great stones out there, it just may take more time as it is, in my opinion, much more difficult to find a high-quality emerald cut than it is a round. As fewer people purchase emerald cuts, the inventory levels just aren't the same.

I would also suggest checking out Jonathon at Goodoldold if that is an option for you.

Good luck!

E

mrmarius

Rough_Rock
Condescending dealers like the one you mention infuriate me. :angryfire:

If a dealer can't or won't provide crown/pavilion angles/percentages, simply walk away. It is not at all unreasonable for you to ask for that data.

A dealer needs to earn my business and for me, that means giving me ALL the information I need to make an educated purchase. Tough for them if they aren't used to dealing with educated consumers.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As you have already found, there are very few retail diamond sellers who are up to speed on the concept of well cut emerald cut diamonds. I appreciate their attempt to sell diamonds on "romance" only, but things have a way of changing over time. Either advance and change or die on the vine is what is going to occur.

There are a few sellers who are adopting new ways of marketing diamonds. Jonathan at GoodOlDold is one of several. They are going to become the dealers to buy from. Slowly there will be other sellers who decide to change and get the business they are now missing. Really, they are the ones who will look crazy if they refuse to change. Right now, consumers who demand the sort of detail in cutting that the AGA Cut Classes provide are difficult customers to satisfy. This will eventually become more the norm and be better accepted.

The diamond business is a very tradition bound affair. Some of this is very good, but when you can't find a stone you really want, then we ought to admit there is something broken that needs some fixing.

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/2/2002 10:16:11 PM

I did not get an emerald, I got a round brilliant (easier to find).

As for other places, I live in the DC area so I don't know what else is around NY. Just to prove how crazy we are, we drove up to NY and to Philly to look for diamonds. I have to admit though that I was born in Brooklyn and raised on LI so it was like going home again.:bigsmile:
----------------

If it's any consolation, I'm in the metro DC area and my girlfriend lives in Philly. Last weekend, I drove up to Philly early Saturday morning to pick her up, then by late morning, drove up to Long Island to see Jonathan at Good Old Gold and ended spending about three hours with him looking over several stones and rings/settings! :)

By the way, if you do go up and see him, be sure to try the pizza next door. It's great, especially the baked clams for appetizers! :)

Regards,
David

DiamondJoeQuimby

Rough_Rock
ANY sales person that ever pulls a stunt like that has not only lost my business but can rest assured knowing I will spreak me experiences of thei atrocious customer service. There are plenty of very reputable, and friendly diamond dealers out there, don't waste your time on this one anymore.

gemstonesplus

Rough_Rock
If I were you, I'd take her up on her offer that you call the BBB and while you're at it go ahead and file a complaint against her. The reason she went off on you was because she probably isn't confident in her stone. If she knew the stone was a great stone at a great deal, she would have no problem letting you have it appraised first.

I agree with the others here, time to find a new dealer.

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Simply put, a store like this gives a bad name to the rest of us!!
First, the deal you got is not so exceptional that you can beat yourself up.
In all the years of business, I had found that some customer would take longer than others to decide, since you are the spending the money, the seller should be patient and courtious!
Diamonds like this and anyone who is in business to sell them should be able to work with you until you are 110% happy.

Happy to help.

Isaac
www.dSCAASI.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results