shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! Heartbroken Leon won’t set my 4.01 HVS1 emerald cut diamond

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cannuck I think you will be in good hands with Mark T or Steven Kirsch. Did you try Victor Canera (he will sometimes take outside stones, and I suspect yours might be one he'd enjoy working with)?. I think CVB has been mentioned as well, her work would not leave you feeling like you missed out as well.

@mayaINaU and @autumngems last I heard, Mark Morrell had to close up shop because he lost his lease. He said it looks like this is the end of the road. :(2 I believe his FB page has a post about this, whereas his jewelry sites do not share this information. Such a loss, his work is impeccable.

Oh no! I had hoped to get one of his designs one day, he was impeccable in his work.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
cannuck I think you will be in good hands with Mark T or Steven Kirsch. Did you try Victor Canera (he will sometimes take outside stones, and I suspect yours might be one he'd enjoy working with)?. I think CVB has been mentioned as well, her work would not leave you feeling like you missed out as well.

@mayaINaU and @autumngems last I heard, Mark Morrell had to close up shop because he lost his lease. He said it looks like this is the end of the road. :(2 I believe his FB page has a post about this, whereas his jewelry sites do not share this information. Such a loss, his work is impeccable.
Oh no, how sad. I had hoped to work with him one day too!

So sorry to hear about your husband's family. Fingers crossed that you find the perfect vendor for you soon so you can move forward with such a meaningful piece. Such huge milestones you're celebrating!

Oh, forgot to mention: I reached out to VC in January to see if he was willing to set my emerald. I spoke to Nathan and Nick (?) and they both said VC won't. And that he hasn't set outside stones for "a long time now." But they'd be happy to find me a center stone if I want to work with them on a different project. This is just one data point. But I figured I should share.

Okay so normally I would keep my mouth shut here, but I do want to point out that Leon is an immigrant. From Russia. This is in his bio on his website - no secret.

He is ardently and vocally in sympathy with Ukraine, but what’s “a war going on out there, did you hear the latest news?” to many of us here in the US hits very very close to home for him. I consider Leon a friend. I spoke with him today myself, and I can guarantee that potentially losing future reset business is not top of mind for him right now.

Whilst every customer has a right to expect polite treatment from any vendor, agreement to taking projects on is always at vendor discretion, and one vendor’s cost:benefit analysis will not be another’s.

And at this particular time… It is easy for me, at least, to empathize with the most likely explanation for why a person with his background might be out of sorts.

Just some perspective to keep in mind.

But...shouldn't the same courtesy be expected from Leon? He has no idea what a (potential) client is going through. How is this behavior towards somebody just making a simple inquiry excusable?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems @AnastasiaBeaverhausen Totally! LM worked on 2 projects for me years ago (settings for outside stones, in 2006 and 2010) and I knew about his reputation for rudeness. He was always testy but not *too* rude. This time, he was pointedly nasty. Times are very hard indeed, but we're ALL going through unprecedented challenges and most of us don't make bullying others the rule rather than the exception. There are plenty of other talented jewelers out there who behave like adults.

@cannuck Thanks for the info about Chubb - sounds like you had to jump through some hoops but I'm glad you found a solution! I'm with Jewelers Mutual and am waiting to get final confirmation of insurance for my stone. Good luck with SK and Mark T (can't go wrong with either) and please keep us posted! 8)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, of course, as I explicitly stated in the post you quoted - the expectation should always be politeness on both sides of any transaction.
But...shouldn't the same courtesy be expected from Leon? He has no idea what a (potential) client is going through. How is this behavior towards somebody just making a simple inquiry excusable?

I hope the spirit of my commentary is taken to heart by those who would find it beneficial.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the insurance. FYI - I use Chubb for all my jewelry, but they wouldn’t insure a loose stone, so my Broker at Chubb arranged for insurance with Abacus to insure my loose stone. I’m sure with all the beautiful stones you’ve had over the years you likely have it worked out, but if you need someone my Broker can move mountains. Lol
I also use Chubb - only for jewellery, not home or auto. My policy does cover loose stones, before and during setting.

Folks should reach out to their agents to find out the particulars of their specific policies.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read this whole thread but just to toss an idea out there- I've heard about this Leon guy's snobby rudeness before on here. And I always wonder if it's kind of an act, a deliberate message of "I am a very, very premium type of person and probably way too good for the likes of you" kind of thing lol. It might actually make customers feel they and their money are lucky and blessed to be allowed in the presence of such a great artiste as Himself. Possible? :lol-2:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
So glad you still love it—sure is pretty!
Jonathan has two master benches that regularly contact work from Cartier, Tiffany’s and Harry Winston, but I really don’t want the decision to be up to me on what side stones work. I want to show pictures of what I like, but the designer to know what proportions will work. Am I crazy and making this to hard on myself?

My 20th anniversary ring (now 2 years old) was created and set by Jonathan's master bench, and the work is impeccable. They tiniest pave under the basket and the fine milgrain were done beautifully. I would trust Jonathan and his master bench (es) to pick the proportionate sidestones and create the setting exactly the way you want it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read this whole thread but just to toss an idea out there- I've heard about this Leon guy's snobby rudeness before on here. And I always wonder if it's kind of an act, a deliberate message of "I am a very, very premium type of person and probably way too good for the likes of you" kind of thing lol. It might actually make customers feel they and their money are lucky and blessed to be allowed in the presence of such a great artiste as Himself. Possible? :lol-2:
No. But that is the Hermes and Chanel quota bag model. :))

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry that the preferred vendor will not work with your stone and he was not able to pleasantly send you away. But what I find interesting is that he is listed on the Lightbox (DeBeers lab grown diamond website) as a potential vendor. Wonder what his reaction to that type of request would be.......

IMG_EFBA71D2CFD8-1.jpeg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea LM was selling LGDs! Interesting indeed!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon has set lab grown diamonds before. Including lab grown diamonds purchased elsewhere. The last one just a few months ago. For a (new to him) PS client. The thread is right here on PS. No conspiracies there.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think if you want handforged and similar to Leon style and quality, I still think Steven Kirsch is your best bet for vendors taking outside stones. Not all of the people mentioned do handforged. Have you contacted SK yet?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well that backfired then

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Steven Kirsch has done two rings for me! He is pleasant and his work is out of this world. Please reach out to him. He is a designer and will know exactly what to pair with your beautiful diamond. I told him exactly what I wanted and he executed my vision flawlessly, TWICE! Love,Love his work! Please keep us posted! Congratulations on your beautiful new diamond.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Steven set my three stone. He's very nice and easy to work with. But give him so grace on the timeline. He was 1-2 weeks late for me, but that's not ridiculous. It was worth the wait.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait to see how you set this new EC. It looks gorgeous.
I sourced my current stone from Mark T. Then LM designed the setting. This was in 2008. Mark was the best to us, we really enjoyed meeting him.
S Kirsch is on my list of "Masters". I bet you can't go wrong with him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results