shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help: Grandmother's ring - 18k rose gold?

natty*

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me. I've received a ring that belonged to my grandmother in the Philippines and I've fallen in love with the colour. I've only ever seen really pink rose gold which doesn't suit my skin tone, but I love how this ring looks. Do you think it's 18k rose gold?

I've taken pics with my 10k yellow gold wedding band for comparison. Excuse the dry hands!

Thanks

Outside:
natty_img_5144_3.jpg

Outside:
natty_img_5145.jpg

Outside:
natty_img_5150.jpg

Outside:
natty_img_5158.jpg

Inside with flash:
natty_-_flash.jpg

Inside with flash (sorry about half of the ring being cut off!):
natty_-_flash2.png

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
the color is lovely.
I can't say what the formula might be, but I agree I've seen a lot of 14K rose gold that was too pink for me. The 18K RG is typically very mellow.

natty*

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, Harpertoo. Although I haven't seen much 18K rose gold in stores I'll try to find some to compare... I think I need to buy myself a new ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's difficult to say because it seems that the yellow gold alloys used in Asia is very different from the ones I see often in the USA.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
You could take it to a gold buyer or jeweler who does appraisals and get it acid test to at least find out the karatage.
Regarding whether or not it is rose or yellow, and as chrono mentioned there are many formulations out there. In addition yellow gold can also develop a reddish patina over time. Regardless, it's a beautiful ring!

Marina87

Rough_Rock
This color looks great on you! Its magnificent!

krish82

Rough_Rock
I have both 18k yellow gold and 18k pink/rose gold which I love! My engagement ring is also going to be 18k rose gold, and I'm waiting until it's done being made! Anyway, most 18k rose gold is not very pink. 14k rose gold is a lot more coppery, while the color of 18k rose gold is not far off from 18k yellow gold especially when you take a photo of them side by side... although my current 18k rose gold ring is Japanese made and it's called PINK GOLD instead or ROSE, and I believe that there's more percentage of silver added in the mix compared to, let's say an American rose gold.

18K Rose Gold: 75% gold, 22.25% copper, 2.75% silver

18K Pink Gold: 75% gold, 20% copper, 5% silver

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results