shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help, going to propose in September and dont have a diamond ring yet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slumdog

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, i been reading this forum many weeks now and there are a TON of information. Thank you! However im also confused on what to get my gf. I am planning to propose in September so i still have a few months to look for the best diamond i can afford. I still dont know her ring size but i do know what type of setting she likes.

I am planning to order something online since its cheaper, looking for something between 1.75 to 2 carats, vs2 or better, color H or better, and a ideal cut so that it shines.

How much would something like this usually cost?

If you can give me a few samples of something that goes in those ranges and are a great buy, can you put them in this thread? I will greatly appreciate it!

*forgot to add, i am looking at a round or cushion (not too sure about cushion but they look similar).

Also, she doesnt know im getting her the ring, but i do know what style setting she likes, the problem is, i dont like it. Should i purpose to her with just the diamond and work out the setting afterwards?

Thank you all for your help

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2009 4:22:37 PM
Author:slumdog
Hello everyone, i been reading this forum many weeks now and there are a TON of information. Thank you! However im also confused on what to get my gf. I am planning to propose in September so i still have a few months to look for the best diamond i can afford. I still dont know her ring size but i do know what type of setting she likes.

I am planning to order something online since its cheaper, looking for something between 1.75 to 2 carats, vs2 or better, color H or better, and a ideal cut so that it shines.

How much would something like this usually cost?

If you can give me a few samples of something that goes in those ranges and are a great buy, can you put them in this thread? I will greatly appreciate it!

Also, she doesnt know im getting her the ring, but i do know what style setting she likes, the problem is, i dont like it. Should i purpose to her with just the diamond and work out the setting afterwards?

Welcome!

Well it depends on how much you want to spend....This diamond gives you an idea of what this size and quality goes for.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2106444.htm#

We could find something less than this or more depending if you want to go smaller, lower colour etc.

As to the setting, I would get her what she likes if she has expressed a definite preference.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for a round?

Date: 6/18/2009 4:22:37 PM
Author:slumdog

How much would something like this usually cost? Use the pricescope your diamond at the top of the page to get an idea.

Also, she doesnt know im getting her the ring, but i do know what style setting she likes, the problem is, i dont like it. Should i purpose to her with just the diamond and work out the setting afterwards? That is a loaded question! Some people will tell you to get what she likes, because she is the one that will be wearing it. I agree to a certain extent, but also feel the ring ought to represent your relationship, with elements of both people. My suggestion would be to get the diamond in a simple solitaire setting, so she can wear it and show it off right away, and then go shopping for the setting together after you propose.

slumdog

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Jet2ks - looking for a round or cushion since i like to be more "old fashion"\

Lorelei - thanks for the link, yea that looks a little too pricey. I think something between 15-20 is reasonable. I dont want to upgrade in the future but yet still be nice enough for her career. Shes a sales trader so she deals with a lot of clients and i dont want her to be embarrased.

Thanks again!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting/style does your gf like? The reason I ask is that you mentioned cushions. If she likes modern/contemporary, that might work best with a round brilliant or modern cushion. If she likes more of a vintage/retro look, a chunky cushion might be more appropriate.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 4:44:49 PM
Author: slumdog
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Jet2ks - looking for a round or cushion since i like to be more 'old fashion'\n

Lorelei - thanks for the link, yea that looks a little too pricey. I think something between 15-20 is reasonable. I dont want to upgrade in the future but yet still be nice enough for her career. Shes a sales trader so she deals with a lot of clients and i dont want her to be embarrased.

Thanks again!

chiming in...talking from experience when I started looking for the same specs in a stone as you mentioned..I quickly realized my budget wasn't going to allow those specs. Because of this great site, I learned that you can get an eye clean SI1-SI2 and still get a large Carat sz to fit into your budget. The only thing that I cared more about was that the CUT. I wanted big but I wanted beautiful. I didn't care if it was an VS in clarity as long as it was eye clean.

If you aren't set on a VS stone..an EYE CLEAN SI1-2 will be SWEET. BTW I could never tell the difference btwn and eye clean VS or SI without a loop

AS FOR THE SETTING...get her what she loves. She's the one wearing it and you want her to love it don't you?
35.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
By "old fashioned," do you mean that you prefer antique styles?

This diamond may be right up your alley. It's a recent design that intentionally was made to look like antique diamond cuts, but with ideal-level light performance:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6006/

It would look nice in a halo setting like this:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Isabella-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1346.htm

ETA: Also second the suggestion to consider eye-clean SI clarity. It will look identical to an IF if verified eye-clean, and it makes a big difference in the price. Here's an example of a great SI1 in your size/price range (D color!!!):
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5022/

slumdog

Rough_Rock
Attached is the setting she likes. Appreciate all the help!

2herchoice.JPG

slumdog

Rough_Rock
and this is the one i like.

1mychoice.JPG

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 6:36:58 PM
Attached is the setting she likes. Appreciate all the help!

honestly they are both beautiful settings. She likes the Halo setting (I have one). I love antique inspired jewelry and that's why the Halo is perfect. If she loves antique inspired pieces, why not get it for her?

How about getting her the setting she loves and then getting her an eternity band for wedding band (which is like the band on the setting you prefer)?

BTW the halo setting makes my 1.77 ct RB stone look like the 2ct+ sz I originally wanted!

Have her try them on..she may end up loving something on her hand that she would never pick out from a pic

I think you can't go wrong with either setting. They really are both great
35.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I agree with atroop about picking the setting she likes as well as getting an eternity band. That would look wonderful! Here''s my ring in my thread and it''s a 1carat D VS2 Cushion Brilliant bought from Solomon Brothers and I love it! It shines like crazy! Everyone thinks it''s so much bigger than a 1 carat. Good thing I have small fingers and my ring size is 4.75.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-henri-daussi-engagement-ring.117270/

3Rocks

Shiny_Rock
May I suggest these:
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=567
or
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=555

You can take 5% off of the price since you are a Pricescopers.

I don''t have experience with cushion cut but I bought an Infinity diamond (RB) from the vendor linked above and it is to die for. You won''t regret it, IMHO.

Congratulations on your pending engagement. Have fun with the search and good luck!!!
36.gif

slumdog

Rough_Rock
newb question, what does FLUORESCENCE mean? the color that gets emitted when shined with light?

btw thanks everyone for their suggestion. I really dont like her choice of setting. It draws attention away from the main diamond. Is it just me?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This link explains about fluorescence

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

From the buyers point of view, it is nothing to be concerned about, in fact some feel blue fluorescence of medium or above can help a lower colour diamond look a little whiter. Rarely strong or very strong blue might make a diamond look cloudy but this is unusual and a trusted vendor will be able to tell you if this is the case.

Also you might not even notice any effects from fluorescence unless you have strong blue or above, some notice it in medium that it can give the diamond what I consider a pretty violety glow in some lighting.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Ultimately, you should get her the style that she likes, and that halo style that she picked is really pretty. My husband doesn''t like halos either, even though I really liked them. However, when I tried it on my hand, I found that it wasn''t "me." Has your girlfriend tried on a halo ring to see if it looks good on her hand? I thought that I wanted something "antiquey," but that style just didn''t look good with my hands, so I ended up with the solitaire that he actually preferred.

However, if your girlfriend has tried on the halo style and she loves it, then that''s what you should get her. You should also try to talk to her best friend or sister & see if there are any more hints you can get, or just ask her if you''ve looked at rings together.

I also wanted to mention that you should look at SI1 clarity diamonds. My stone is a 2.01 ct G SI1, and no inclusions are visible with the naked eye. You can only see a slight white cloud when viewed under magnification in a certain type of light. You can''t see the inclusion AT ALL though without a loupe. So, my husband saved thousands on the diamond since I was willing to go down a little in clarity. Our budget was around the same as yours, and when I saw VS stones, I wasn''t going to be able to go above 1.75 cts, but an SI diamond got me the 2 ct. People see size first, but they won''t notice an SI inclusion in an eye-clean stone.

slumdog

Rough_Rock
Vesper, that is a beautiful ring you have. That is exactly what i was looking for. Do you know how much your husband paid for that (no need to answer if thats too personal, sorry) just wanted to know how much a pricescoper will pay for those specs.

And thanks for the suggestions for the si1, i will look into that. I definetly want something big and shines like a flashlight.

Got another question, are arrows and hearts more expensive? It that just another type of design on the diamond?

thanks

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 3:13:43 PM
Vesper, that is a beautiful ring you have. That is exactly what i was looking for. Do you know how much your husband paid for that (no need to answer if thats too personal, sorry) just wanted to know how much a pricescoper will pay for those specs.

And thanks for the suggestions for the si1, i will look into that. I definetly want something big and shines like a flashlight.

Got another question, are arrows and hearts more expensive? It that just another type of design on the diamond?

thanks
You will pay more for a Hearts & Arrows diamond. H&A is not a type of design, it is a measure of precision. Only a diamond cut with superb optical precision will exhibit both patterns when seen under a H&A viewer (arrows looking at the crown, hearts looking at the pavillion.)

It is possible for a diamond that displays H&A patterns to not be a top performer when it comes to light reflection, however, so it is not a guarantee of the brightest and livliest stone. There are also many stones out there with great light performance that just miss being H&A.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) has this one listed:

AGS-9977104
I
VS2
$13465
$13195.70 (bank wire)

An I color will be very white in an AGS0 hearts and arrows super ideal (which is what Brian carries), plus as their site is not up yet, they might have others in stock for you to consider in your price range and budget.

And they make beautiful settings. I would totally give them a call and ask them what they can do for you.

www.briangavindiamonds.com

I'd a platinum setting with one pointers in the halo, prong set (claw prongs and tiny) and 1.5 pointers in the shank 3/4 eternity. Harry Winston Style for the pave (they'll know what that means). And the shank and gallery would be gorgeous if they were modifications off of the lines of thier truth setting, but with the gallery/shank modified to allow for a flush fit band (of 2 pointers/3/4 eternity).

That's what I'd get.
9.gif
And if you just direct them to this post, they'll understand exactly what all the means if your confused.

A halo setting will also make the stone look LARGER than you'd think. So if you are concerned about size. DEFINITELY get her a halo setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5528/ would be a lovely option as well. I'd send the stone to Leon for the Adriana Setting (but with a smaller proportional halo, again one pointers) http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=288.

BUT... as an FYI a 1.70 round will look larger than the 2.2 plus cushion above. The cushion is 7.3 mm across and the round is 7.6(ish). So if you are looking for noticable size. The round is the way to go. Though with the cushion you do get braging rights of 'almost 2 and a 1//4 carats' it's still gonna look smaller side by side to the round.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 9:47:35 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Date: 6/19/2009 6:10:03 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5528/ would be a lovely option as well. I''d send the stone to Leon for the Adriana Setting (but with a smaller proportional halo, again one pointers) http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=288.

What I saw when I opened that GOG link absolutely took my breath away. Not commenting on the specs -- just the pic -- what a beautiful diamond!
It is a beauty for sure. You''ve gotten great advice so far.. Just make sure when you pick the ring it will sit flush with a wedding band. Not sure if that is important to you, but it may be to her... I can''t wait to see what you choose.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 9:54:08 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 6/19/2009 9:47:35 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Date: 6/19/2009 6:10:03 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5528/ would be a lovely option as well. I'd send the stone to Leon for the Adriana Setting (but with a smaller proportional halo, again one pointers) http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=288.

What I saw when I opened that GOG link absolutely took my breath away. Not commenting on the specs -- just the pic -- what a beautiful diamond!
It is a beauty for sure. You've gotten great advice so far.. Just make sure when you pick the ring it will sit flush with a wedding band. Not sure if that is important to you, but it may be to her... I can't wait to see what you choose.
1.gif
Ditto. If you go with any Leon setting you will have to very specifically ask for this, especially since most of his (including the Adrianna) aren't designed for flush fit. Just an FYI. You can even go with 1/2 pointers in the halo, with Leon's mushroom pave. For a really delicate and gorgeous look.

And I agree, that stone is stunning. My personal choice would be the cushion even if there is a little bit of a spread difference. But since the ring he posted of her 'favorite setting' had a round, well... cushions aren't for everyone, and I can respect that.

slumdog

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I think i will stick with the round because of what Gypsy said regarding the size of the round looks bigger than the cushion.

What does the "Leon" setting look like?

What table depth / width should i look at when looking at for a round diamond? I want something that shines really well so im assuming i should get cut = ideal right?

Thanks again for all those that contributed to my journey!

slumdog

Rough_Rock
I was reading another thread and someone said they had great success with infinity rings from highperformancediamonds.com. Can anyone comment on what this is?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 1:29:45 AM
I was reading another thread and someone said they had great success with infinity rings from highperformancediamonds.com. Can anyone comment on what this is?
HPD carries Infinity Diamonds, which are amazing branded superideal cut diamonds (Infinity is the brand). Unfortunatley, I didn't see anything on the Infinity list that fits your budget, size and color/clarity requirements. But they are fabulous diamonds. As are the BGD Signature and the GOG hearts and arrows and other super ideals. Unless you want a diamond education, just stick to PS recommended vendors, ask for AGS 000 performance diamonds (best rating but arguably toughest lab) and you'll be fine. Put anything that catches you eye on hold. Then post it here and ask for opinions (not the other way around, we have lurkers). Don't worry about table and depth, etc... it's not just one number, but how all of them work together... someone around here has a 'guidelines' spec list for rounds they'll post (I don't know where it is or I'd go grab it for you) and that will help you too.

"Leon" is a designer he has many settings. You can find his work at www.artofplatinum.com he does lovely platinum settings.

3Rocks

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 9:35:06 PM
Author: 3Rocks
May I suggest these:
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=567
or
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=555

I don''t have experience with cushion cut but I bought an Infinity diamond (RB) from the vendor linked above and it is to die for. You won''t regret it, IMHO.

Congratulations on your pending engagement. Have fun with the search and good luck!!!
36.gif
I was suggesting these stones above to you. They are Infinity cut. I love mine so much.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 1:40:56 AM

Date: 6/18/2009 9:35:06 PM
May I suggest these:
or

I don't have experience with cushion cut but I bought an Infinity diamond (RB) from the vendor linked above and it is to die for. You won't regret it, IMHO.

36.gif
I was suggesting these stones above to you. They are Infinity cut. I love mine so much.

Links aren't bringing me to actual stones. I didn't see anything on HPD that's between 1.70-2.0 I color or higher SI1 or higher for under 19K (which wouldn't leave him enough for a setting really). There are a couple of nice J's but... the poster wanted H or higher, so I is pretty much as low as I'd go for recommendations.

The GOG round that Jstar found is beautiful and a great size, color, clarity combo.

"ETA: Also second the suggestion to consider eye-clean SI clarity. It will look identical to an IF if verified eye-clean, and it makes a big difference in the price. Here's an example of a great SI1 in your size/price range (D color!!!):
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5022/ " It won't leave you too much for a setting, but Halos are pretty common so I'm sure a lovely one can be found for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results