shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, found destroyed antique diamonds

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

Well that doesnt come off as endearing in any way, just a bit hurtful. I wasnt aware that this sort of reply was warranted.
Youre entitled to feel and say whatever youd like of course....
But it doesnt say much for your character. I would love to have just had a lot of cool costume jewelry to take apart and repurpose. I dont enjoy having to verify a dead designers craft work. Its the last thing i want to spend my time on, and it wasnt my intention when i made this purchase.
I feel burdened by this if anything.

Edit: i will also add that i have destroyed two of her handmade one of a kind pieces**** to extract and test stones prior to researching where it all came from. And i am dealing with immense guilt about this as well. I have to take a second look at this stuff before i destroy anything else.

**** believed to be, not yet verified.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
If you're into treasure hunting, may I recommend buying a tester that is more reliable? Those cheap diamond testers are crap and if you turn it up high enough, everything is a "diamond". At a bare minimum, you should invest in a RI tester like this: https://presidium.com.sg/psdproduct/refractive-index-meter-ii-prim-ii/

That is definitely a necessity. I could have saved a lot of time and stress if i had a tester more reliable. Thank you for this.
And to whoever mentioned insuring the collection, if verified, i am very unsure of what to do with her personal affairs, such as pearls. Prior to knowing where this all came from my intention was to restring the many pearls into pieces for the women of my family... i dont know if i can do this in good faith anymore.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
When i have my jeweler dismember the georgian pieces, i will post some comparisons from the old mind cuts that are foil backed to the transition cuts that arent foil backed. As well as anything else i can verify. For now, the only thing confirmed is the diamonds and pearls, i have not confirmed that the altered pieces were indeed altered. That is the next step. But as one of you mentioned, i do need to step back a little, its easy to be consumed by a mystery, and i have a two year old that destroys my home as a career choice, so today will probably be a cleaning day.

I think stepping back is a really, really good decision. Maybe talk it over with your SO a bit more and share this thread with him or her.
Take care of yourself.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
I think stepping back is a really, really good decision. Maybe talk it over with your SO a bit more and share this thread with him or her.
Take care of yourself.

Thank you. I am certainly overwhelmed by the discovery. It has taken a lot more energy than i intended to invest in a few boxes of costume jewelry. Ive been treaure hunting for a hot minute, and never in my time have i found a lot so unsettling.
Unfortunately my significant other and i are seperated by state due to covid restrictions and personal life events, however i have been in constant correspondence with him about this situation. He is worried as well. And reasonably so... like i said... i know i sound crazy. Like a right raving lunatic. But i am not ignorant, and after destroying those two pieces and then reading hatties story, i know i have to at least give the due diligence of checking this stuff before i destroy it forever.
Just imagine how much art has been destroyed by people who didnt know what it was?
As an artist i must be respectful of the craft i practice.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yeah..

I think one of PS' own got
a little bored during quarantine.
That or someone that is annoyed by PS is posting the replies for a laugh somewhere.

People are....interesting.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Yeah..

I think one of PS' own got
a little bored during quarantine.
That or someone that is annoyed by PS is posting the replies for a laugh somewhere.

People are....interesting.

I really hope you arent referring to me.... i am a real person. A mother, a daughter, an artist, a gardener, amongst many other things. I dont regard this as a laughing matter. I am incredibly worried that ive already destroyed pieces someone elses art.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I am certainly overwhelmed by the discovery. It has taken a lot more energy than i intended to invest in a few boxes of costume jewelry. Ive been treaure hunting for a hot minute, and never in my time have i found a lot so unsettling.
Unfortunately my significant other and i are seperated by state due to covid restrictions and personal life events, however i have been in constant correspondence with him about this situation. He is worried as well. And reasonably so... like i said... i know i sound crazy. Like a right raving lunatic. But i am not ignorant, and after destroying those two pieces and then reading hatties story, i know i have to at least give the due diligence of checking this stuff before i destroy it forever.
Just imagine how much art has been destroyed by people who didnt know what it was?
As an artist i must be respectful of the craft i practice.

Well, you wanted to hit it with a hammer. Does this not tell us enough?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I really hope you arent referring to me.... i am a real person. A mother, a daughter, an artist, a gardener, amongst many other things. I dont regard this as a laughing matter. I am incredibly worried that ive already destroyed pieces someone elses art.

don't worry too much about it...there are thousands more Hattie Carnegie pieces out there...in grandma's jewelry box, yard sales, thrift store etc.

Please though....do not PAY a jeweler to help you evaluate these things. I fear they will take advantage of you. Go to a pawn shop....they don't charge and they'll tell you if it's costume. You shouldn't have to take anything apart.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
don't worry too much about it...there are thousands more Hattie Carnegie pieces out there...in grandma's jewelry box, yard sales, thrift store etc.

Please though....do not PAY a jeweler to help you evaluate these things. I fear they will take advantage of you. Go to a pawn shop....they don't charge and they'll tell you if it's costume. You shouldn't have to take anything apart.

The issue is that OP believes (incorrectly) that she has found Hattie's personal collection of jewelry that is somehow handmade, uses precious stones, and is irreplaceable. I don't doubt that OP will find a jeweler who will happily take advantage and "help" her by charging a ton of money.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This post should be moved to the "Fabulous Fashion Jewelry" section.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Well, you wanted to hit it with a hammer. Does this not tell us enough?

That was a joke? I stated that as well... I think making personal judgments abiut others based on an internet interactions that are percieved without context, is odd human tendency.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

Actually my mother recommended this as well. She said a pawn shop will tell you in a heartbeat if a stone is real or not, and not even be a prick about it. There are so many pieces here, and i have only had three loose stones confirmed. I may need to look into the pawn thing.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
This post should be moved to the "Fabulous Fashion Jewelry" section.

Feel free! It is technically costume jewelry, which i was confident of until the georgian piece (which is one of the three confirmed stones).
I just dont know that it hasnt been altered dramatically. None of the costume pieces match their mass counterparts, and some dont seem to exist at all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free! It is technically costume jewelry, which i was confident of until the georgian piece (which is one of the three confirmed stones).
I just dont know that it hasnt been altered dramatically. None of the costume pieces match their mass counterparts, and some dont seem to exist at all.

You say 3 stones have been 'confirmed'. By what? A poor quality diamond tester?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Which piece do you think is Georgian? Confirmed as what and by whom?

I'm confused.

And obviously bored today.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
You say 3 stones have been 'confirmed'. By what? A poor quality diamond tester?

No i took a few loose stones into a jeweler i regularly buy loose stones from to make my own jewelry. I am having the thread moved, since its core is a costume jewelry designer, and the lack of a full picture, i dont want to clog up a strictly diamond pertaining forum section.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Please click "report concern" on the lower left side of your most recent post and ask the Admins to move the thread. Be advised: asking for help from any Admin is a humble request, not a command.

I will do so, thank you for that information, i was searching for how to do that. Thank you- and to everyone for participating in the conversation. I have more questions than answers now, but i feel like this thread has certainly helped me gather a number of outside opinions, which is what i really needed.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
That was a joke? I stated that as well... I think making personal judgments abiut others based on an internet interactions that are percieved without context, is odd human tendency.

I missed the joke part. No judgement made, just asked a question.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a woman on Instagram that evaluates antique jewelry and stones. Perhaps you could send her some pictures. Not really
sure what she would need to provide you with info or what she would charge. Maybe pawn shop first, then if real, contact Jewelrynerd
on IG. She gives talks on what to look for with antique/vintage jewelry. I wish you luck. Dont spend a lot of money on the items until
you find out they are real.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

that would be because you do not have what you think you have. Of course the pieces don't match their mass counterparts. You have a nice stash of generic, costume jewelry.

Nor has any information been posted that could logically lead to the conclusions you've drawn.

If you continue to insist that you must have happened upon a bunch of priceless prototypes, there's nobody who will be able to dissuade you from that, since you'll just continue to assert that they are prototypes. I suppose that's convenient.

D

Deactivated member 42515

This is the most fun I’ve had since quarantine. Don’t leave! Let’s keep this party going!
giphy.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love a picture of the three you have had confirmed and the paperwork proving it.

Tarquin

Rough_Rock
those are the fingers of a woman who has spent three whole days cleaning 60 year old jewelry LOL! Im proud of those wrecked cuticles.
And if i may ask, didnt she marry a Carnegie and then assume the name?

No. It was not one of her married names.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I would love a picture of the three you have had confirmed and the paperwork proving it.

Yes, I would as well.

There are so many things I don't understand here. Perhaps I missed it, but why did you have to take any of the pieces apart? You admit you aren't an expert and your diamond tester is not good quality, so what were you trying to accomplish there? Why were you deliberately trying to destroy any of the stones via hot & cold water? How would that help anything? How do you know this is Hattie Carnegie's personal collection, rather than just pieces that bear her stamp? How can you tell the pieces were "hand made," and by her at that?

As you've so far been unable to provide clear, sensible answers to our questions, I fear you're having us on. This thread is bizarre.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
that would be because you do not have what you think you have. Of course the pieces don't match their mass counterparts. You have a nice stash of generic, costume jewelry.

Nor has any information been posted that could logically lead to the conclusions you've drawn.

If you continue to insist that you must have happened upon a bunch of priceless prototypes, there's nobody who will be able to dissuade you from that, since you'll just continue to assert that they are prototypes. I suppose that's convenient.

I will reply to you as an update. I have custom cartier and jean schlumberger pieces. Both worked alongside hattie, hattie bought jeans company in 1962. Ill attach a few photos. But since im already in contact with people who know these designers and their affiliatiom with Hattie, the mystery is solved. Thanks anyhow! 15933067379053505816110067489762.jpg image-20200627_161553.jpg

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Okay guys, for anyone who doesnt understand, i though i found a home jeweler that didnt know wtf she was doing, taking diamonds from really old jewelry and putting them on nonsensical costume pieces. Heres how it went:
This lady owned gobs and gobs of pearls, but the rest seemed like costume, until i saw the cartier bracelet in the sun, i knew then i had to take a second look.
I found the diamond pieces pictured in this thread. Like i said, i thought she must not have known what she was doing. Using the hattie pin i found her life story. Including the designers she mastered over, she kept some of their work, those are the jean schlumberger rings, and the cartier bracelet.
I knew nothing of her life prior to one of you pushing me to read into her.
Upon reading i learned about john, who adored hattie, and showered her in her favorite stone, pearls. Specifically the three strand one you can see her wearing in almost every later photo of her. John, who saw her taking fine jewelry and putting it on costume pieces of her competetors, pushed her to start her own costume jewelry line. And she did. And it was pretty great. Its been a fun ride. There may be other designer pieces from people who worked under hattie or with her that i cant recognize. I havent gone through the lot today. The tennis bracelets may very be channel, i havent checked. I wish i was taking you guys for a ride, but im not

Last edited:

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
I have the three strand of pearls, and many other sets, but not her pearl wedding ring from john. It was not in the lot. I do have a smaller pearl ring, if anyone cares to see it.
Edit: i posted about a quartex pocket watch in another thread. Its old and may need repair, but hattie loved john, and he passed before she did. I think this may be his. I want to repair it and give it to my partner, who is also oddly enough, named john, and he is the reason I make jewelry today. Hes my biggest fan.
Second edit: there is also a very heavy stamped silver ring that says japan 1946 and has a snake with emeralds, the watch and this were the only masculine pieces. I will see if i can find any more about this as well. The ring is very very beat up.

Last edited:

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
to all of you who were rude, or bitter in this thread, thank you. You honestly just strengthened my determination to figure this out. I buy loose diamonds regularly (smaller ones than these albiet) i am aware of what a diamond looks like. Nowadays i dont give a heck about the diamonds. The designer history i overlooked is way more valuable to me. But the diamonds are cool too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results