shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, found destroyed antique diamonds

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
theyre all testing as real and i have no idea what to do, they came in a lot of "vintage jewelry" i bought off ebay, all unmarked. Diamonds are testing real. Havent tested non diamonds. 20200626_002457.jpg
Cant find resources to contact. Just want to make sure im not about to sell or destroy royal jewels.
The largest diamond piece was quite literally saudered to stainless steel chunky junk chain . 20200626_003710.jpg 20200626_002536.jpg 20200626_003547.jpg 20200626_010736.jpg
I 20200626_011234.jpg The pictured stones are diamonds that have fallen loose while sorting it all. what do i do? If theyre all diamonds, i have well over 300 individual stones. I purchased this legally, they cant be taken from me if they turn up to be royal can they?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Extremely unlikely that you have stumbled upon some royal jewels sold on eBay.

There are people whose entire careers are dedicated to finding lost items of provenance, wherever they might be.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Extremely unlikely that you have stumbled upon some royal jewels sold on eBay.

There are people whose entire careers are dedicated to finding lost items of provenance, wherever they might be.

Im glad to hear that, the unmarked status of them, and ornate construction had me very worried. The dismembered status of the diamond pieces has me heart broken.
The diamonds ive tested this far are real, im hoping the rest of stones on the pieces they came from are real as well. But i dont want to deconstruct them any more than they already are.
but as long as theres no murky past attached to them, i can retire my entire family.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Hi, not sure what you are using to test for diamonds, but the settings shown in your pictures are costume jewelry so highly unlikely that the white stones are diamonds.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Its just called diamond selector 2? I purchased it to check estate finds, and never in my wildest dreams imagined any of these would test positive. Today i will do a control group test with confirmed CZ. And of course im calling a jeweler

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
it seems as though someone was taking apart jewelry and making these "costume pieces" if they are indeed real.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Or i could conduct a heat test because I have doubted the diamond selector before. And im doubting all of this. It is unreal. Hard to believe.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think taking them to a jeweller would be a good next step.

From the photos of you’ve posted most of the stones are smaller - unless there are significantly larger stones in the lot they’re unlikely to be terribly valuable, honestly. Tens or hundreds each, maybe a few thousand in total - value increases significantly as size increases.

That said, we do have a PSer who absolutely won the gemstone lottery in a local estate sale. So it can happen.

I wouldn’t worry about provenance at all. That is unlikely in the extreme.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
The left stone is cinfirmed cz i just tore from a costume ring 20200626_080542.jpg by premier design i found in alot earlier this month. Right are two loose mystery stones. I will update as the mystery is solved.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

From the photos of you’ve posted most of the stones are smaller - unless there are significantly larger stones in the lot they’re unlikely to be terribly valuable, honestly. Tens or hundreds each, maybe a few thousand in total - value increases significantly as size increases.

That said, we do have a PSer who absolutely won the gemstone lottery in a local estate sale. So it can happen.

15931842034405369442481825010831.jpg
One of these stones i extracted and tested, it tested as a diamond.
I wish i could weight test the loose stones to my CZ but im not sure that my fruit scale can handle weights this small. The largest stone (if diamond) would be four CT or so?
Believe it or not i found acrylic(?) embedded diamonds (a common practice in the the gregorian era) in THIS 15931844846976258055597221553725.jpg
The large setting had a plastic stone, that when ground down, i found a small stone . T 15931845746051281342450844719099.jpg the left is CZ the middle is the small stone i found inside the acrylic piece. The right is the second acrylic piece, i am currently excavating it. Strange right?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15931842034405369442481825010831.jpg
One of these stones i extracted and tested, it tested as a diamond.
I wish i could weight test the loose stones to my CZ but im not sure that my fruit scale can handle weights this small. The largest stone (if diamond) would be four CT or so?
Believe it or not i found acrylic(?) embedded diamonds (a common practice in the the gregorian era) in THIS 15931844846976258055597221553725.jpg
The large setting had a plastic stone, that when ground down, i found a small stone . T 15931845746051281342450844719099.jpg the left is CZ the middle is the small stone i found inside the acrylic piece. The right is the second acrylic piece, i am currently excavating it. Strange right?

They could be real. My Aunt purchased a lot of costume jewelry and found real diamonds, opals, and gold. Go to a reputable jeweler. I hope they are genuine. Good luck!

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
Update: found a solid gold pin stamped by Hattie Carnegie, as well as unmarked real pearl lopillita necklaces. This may very well be some of her personal jewelry. It would very much explain the gold mermaid magnifying glass. As well as the mystery blue ring that just so happens to be what i would consider carnegie blue. I have an appointment with a jewler in portland to have everything tested. 15931945533524749676530075019356.jpg 15931945937306106765441683977333.jpg

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update: found a solid gold pin stamped by Hattie Carnegie, as well as unmarked real pearl lopillita necklaces. This may very well be some of her personal jewelry. It would very much explain the gold mermaid magnifying glass. As well as the mystery blue ring that just so happens to be what i would consider carnegie blue. I have an appointment with a jewler in portland to have everything tested. 15931945533524749676530075019356.jpg 15931945937306106765441683977333.jpg

This may be of interest, she was quite the prolific costume jewellery designer:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are using the tester incorrectly. The stone has to be placed on the metal plate.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hattie Carnegie sold a line of costume jewelry at Gus Meyer department stores.

Look for your pieces on eBay and Etsy etc.

They are “gold tone” not gold.

I’m sorry to break your enthusiasm and I do hope you come back and tell us what you found out.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Threads like this always make me wince a little.
No-one wants to be the bearer of bad news, especially when someone is excited and hopeful about a best-case outcome... But reality and hope usually don't walk the same paths.
One in a million finds like the estate sale I brought up earlier truly are one in a million, and the vast majority of those lucky winners are long-time collectors who have spent decades on the prowl.
@Elizabethhunts, please don't let yourself imagine your family is going to retire on the contents of your purchase. That's simply impossible. The centerstone you point out - unless that chain is massive, that's a carat at most. Enjoy the pieces for what they are and don't let hope get the better of your good judgement - that way lies disappointment :(sad

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock

No-one wants to be the bearer of bad news, especially when someone is excited and hopeful about a best-case outcome... But reality and hope usually don't walk the same paths.
One in a million finds like the estate sale I brought up earlier truly are one in a million, and the vast majority of those lucky winners are long-time collectors who have spent decades on the prowl.
@Elizabethhunts, please don't let yourself imagine your family is going to retire on the contents of your purchase. Enjoy them for what they are, but don't let hope get the better of your good judgement - that way lies disappointment :(sad

Oh i understand completely. However i wasnt able to shatter the stones with the heat test, off to the jewler i go. Realism is always the best route :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem like you know what you're doing! Please let us know how everything turns out :bigsmile:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Elizabethhunts, please don't let yourself imagine your family is going to retire on the contents of your purchase. That's simply impossible. The centerstone you point out - unless that chain is massive, that's a carat at most. Enjoy the pieces for what they are and don't let hope get the better of your good judgement - that way lies disappointment :(sad

I’m usually the one to break bad news to people in my circle. I feel it’s sorrier to let a person get their hopes up only to be dashed.

OP didn’t find a treasure and she has a lot of junk. However, if she paid $15.00 for the box of junk and she had a few sellable pieces, with some effort and eBay she could make a few (under $100 for sure) dollars.

In a pandemic, this might not be so bad of an activity. It’s like how my MIL does with garage sales.... buy other people’s junk and resell the sellable things at your garage sale.

There are worse things, especially right now.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
I definitely will!
57EF4379-F31F-4879-A77C-504E0432DC68.jpeg

These look to be rhinestones

Im aware they do, they all are foil backed.
I can remove the foil back with acetone and they become entirely different rocks, honestly, gregorian era folks, whatre ya gonna do.

And for further clarification, yes there was absolutely unmistakable costuke jewelry in this lot as well, just many susp pieces.

Elizabethhunts

Rough_Rock
I’m usually the one to break bad news to people in my circle. I feel it’s sorrier to let a person get their hopes up only to be dashed.

OP didn’t find a treasure and she has a lot of junk. However, if she paid $15.00 for the box of junk and she had a few sellable pieces, with some effort and eBay she could make a few (under $100 for sure) dollars.

In a pandemic, this might not be so bad of an activity. It’s like how my MIL does with garage sales.... buy other people’s junk and resell the sellable things at your garage sale.

There are worse things, especially right now.
I like your realism! It keeps me from getting overwhelmed. I will keep this thread updated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results