shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! First time buyer...

Mike2121

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been researching colored gemstones for just a short while now, as me and my girlfriend are looking for the perfect engagement ring. Recently, we came across a loose sapphire that's billed as a Pad on the Natural Sapphire Company website and were hoping for help in determining whether it's a good buy. We have plans to look at the stone in person, but just wanted some expert opinions so we know what we are getting into.

The stone is an 8.27 ct cushion pinkish orange sapphire from Madagascar, untreated, unheated no enhancement as per the GIA report, but no AGL report as with all NSC stones (not sure why this is). The clarity is IF/VVS1, cut is brilliant crown, color is vivid. The price is 7,150/ct, for a total of $59,130, as it's advertised as a Pad. I am attaching a link to the website below, which I'm hoping works for pictures and additional info.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-52128-cushion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa5/

Can people PLEASE help me in determining if this is a good buy? I don't want to be taken for a ride. I do plan on obtaining a full AGL prestige report prior to making a decision, but I'm going to assume that it won't be surprising in any way.

Thank you in advance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous colour but can you live with a pancake stone that is dead in the middle? It barely has 60% depth and almost half the crown is windowed (no sparkle in the middle and will be see-through to see the finger underneath).

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono makes excellent points about the cut. I'll be curious as to your response.

Is it the pad designation you seek or just the color?

Grace has this ring - not sure how you feel about the setting - but I find the stone to be much prettier and well-cut. Granted, it's on hold, but you could always contact her if you're interested.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-62ct-padparadscha-sapphire-halo-ring#.VuGVrfkrKUk

Roger has this pad (yes, I realize it's probably way too small for you), but I wanted to point it out for its color and cut.
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphirepad1_36ct_2166/

_36639.jpg

_36640.jpg

Mike2121

Rough_Rock
It is both the Pad designation and color, if that's helpful. Those stones are beautiful but they are on the small side for us.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts:

If you want a big pad, you found one. Thats a pretty big price though for such a shallow cut. That said, again, if the size thing is your thing check it out in your own environment to see if it fits your needs. Find out what the return policy is for the vendor, and proceed with caution.

Otherwise, if you have some time, look around more,because frankly I agree with Chrono on the cut. I don't think that pad is going to disappear anytime soon.

Do you have a minimum size range you're looking for?

Mike2121

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't want less than a 5 ct for within that same price range. I also know Sri Lankan Pads are more valuable than those from Madagascar? I know there's endless debate on this topic, but would that stone even technicallyqualify as a Pad (firestone, lotus) given its color?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason why NSC goes through GIA is because they have a bit more sway in the marketplace in terms of assumed value and integrity of their business model; not only in diamonds but in gemstones in general. AGL is exceptional lab, as colored stones are their specialty (I use them plenty!) but IMO if you ever want to resell a stone, especially something that expensive, GIA will generally hold a lot more clout. Its the way the market works.

To that end, GIA calls it a Pad. If you send to another lab, FYI, be aware that they could very well grade it differently so its something for you to be aware of.

IMO, the stone is large, untreated, and has a GIA report stating its a pad. Many will find that holds lots of weight.

Chrono posted some excellent resources if you have the time.

NCS isn't terribly loved around here and I think they price on the high end of the spectrum, BUT, even with that, remember you're getting more than a stone if you use them. You're also getting their vetting services along with a bit of peace of mind that the stone is as advertised, which ultimately have to be paid for when you go to a larger retailer like this.

This is the reason why I ask if you're in a hurry or not. Finding a stone so large can take time that you may not have.

That part is up to you to decide if you do or don't need them or feel confident to get your stone in another way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results