shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help edit this about cut & Light Return

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is the first part of 2 in a new approach to explain to people who know nothing about the ideal-scope.

We have a reference chart on http://www.ideal-scope.com that someone told me was great for ''intelligent people'', but not so good for ''smart people''. (Smart people tend to earn more and spend more money on diamonds
1.gif
That could be a thread all by itself - so not here please folks).

Anyway - lots of you know and understand this stuff - it is hard for me to see the woods for the trees! how do we do this and keep it simple, but get to the more complex stuff?

The second part will be contrast.

Light return first try top.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Simplify it, my darling, 'tis far too wordy.
1.gif

Would you like me to have a go at it?

Edited for spelling - perhaps you'd prefer to have an editor that can spell "simplify" on the first go-round.
sad.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ditto that - found it very busy.....and in the section on setting a leaking diamond high, seems to repeat the same advice twice.

I think it should be more streamlined.

1. The more a diamond returns light, the more it sparkles.

1. Here's are examples of how a diamond returns light. a) Shallow b) Ideal c) deep

2. Here's the ideal scope - it is a tool to help you select a diamond with GREAT light return.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi couple of comments...

1. I would use another word instead of mimic...mimic to me has more negative connotations than say 'reproduces'...personal preference

2. You need to work with spacing/titles/captions...and keep the flow the same...ie if you put the information below your graphics you should do that for all the garphics...in the part on head shadow I was looking for the info below and it was above...and the info below seemed not to relate...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
how realistic to the real world is you head shadow example to mounted diamonds.
As an experment to confirm something I suspected I asked some ladies about their rings.
They then held them up to look at them.
Not one of them looked at it from above at a 90 angle.
They all held their hand out and tilted their hand back to look at it.
Some full arm lenth some with a bent arm but the point is they looked at them with the light coming from an angle and looking at it from another angle.
Not one viewed it at an 90 degree angle and the light was not striking it at 90 degrees either.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It is busy. You have a lot of information and illustration pics you are trying to cram into very limited space.

The captions of the pics at the top of the page run into other text which runs into other text. Making the whole top of the page hard to read/follow. Definitely a redesign of the layout is in order there.

The bottom left hand corner has duplicate statements. That could free up some space to move center text/pics down some and loosen up the top of the page a bit.

Mimics. Seems there could be a better word. Reproduces like suggested before. Or maybe, The Ideal Scope view represents,... or, The Ideal Scope view shows..... Maybe??

Soooo kewl you are letting us help you for once, Garry!
16.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a draft - even the pics are not the right ones - so it will finally need more borders etc

I am happy to email a word 600kb file that is easy to edit if anyone would find that easier to play with
1.gif

send here - [email protected]

Flat out like a lizard drinking at present - will get back later.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've got to agree with Strmrdr...we ladies have an instinctive knack for viewing diamonds to their best advantage! I don't remember the last time I held a diamond and had that dark head shadow thing going on. If I am looking at it, and it doesn't look just right, I tweak the angle...heehee. I think it isn't worth trying to explain the head shadow syndrome.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally like simplicity...something like:

Good Stone : picture

Bad Stone: picture

End of story.
2.gif

---

Well maybe not THAT simple.
2.gif
I also agree the head shadow thing is very hard to explain OR illustrate, maybe just a quick mention. Also, as I think someone else noted, the formatting is very off and there is too much wording going on. Looks like some of my company's advertising...NOT the web stuff of course.
9.gif

Pictures are what speak best to people--quick and dirty. Show it and then move on. Excellent idea..can't wait to see finished result! Basically however you swing it, it will be helpful.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The viewing angle thing - most buyers use CRITICAL looking.
Most owners want to find the best look
1.gif
- not the worst.

It is buyer behaviour that is most relevant to ideal-scope use.

Regarding the formating and grammar repeats etc etc

This is a WIP - it was because I realised i was going round in circles that I decided to ask you all for help.

The final docment will of course be nicely formated and have borders etc - so keep the coments coming please - they all help. I have one taker on the emailed file so far - happy to send it to others. then you can se the table borders etc.

No point formatting proelry tilll it is finished though.

Thanks folks - keep it coming.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this were the first time I heard about diamond optics, I’d be quite puzzled. I am not sure were this page fits in the context of the website, but the reader is already assumed to be confortable with a few unusual notions (leakage, light return, the colors and outline of Idealscope images). Also, the reader is supposed to believe that the squigly black line through the diamond is a ray of light… Given that optics makes relatively few appearences in one’s life, I would not take these basics for granted (not that I know wether you do, it depends what material is placed before this page).

Is the Idealscope itself explained before? Where will this page be placed? Can it be the first random thing a preson reads?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Valeria it is designed to go with a certificate as an attachment where the top two photo’s are taken of the actual stone.

So for many it would be a first time explanation.
But we have decided it should be a detailed explanation, and it should fit onto a single sheet. The current reference chart at http://www.ideal-scope.com/idealscope_reference_chart.asp does not explain anything.

So you see that this is actually quite a challenge.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
>
Thanks! It makes alot more sense for me now.

I hope that you will keep the reference charts on that page: they are quite useful indeed for someone who has never seen dozens of diamonds through the scope.

In my view this page is a "users" guide for the scope, as well an explanation of the cut quality of the stone certified. If this is so, the page may need to give some reference for the user's 'reading' through the scope (the current online format) and give an intuitive answer to "why is that". Such an explanation should be chatty enough, I guess, for the buyer to show it to someone else and "explain". However, if I had this task on my hands, would probably struggle to produce three explanatory pictures for how those light rays are traced in shallow, ideal, and deep diamonds. This could look alot like the pic with the heads, only it would trace two rays for each diamond (from table and a bezel facet) with a caption below noting how that cut model looks in the shadow of the viewer and including those nice notes drafted in your post. I guess there is no need to have such a blocky representation of the viewer's head - it takes alot of page space (maybe a pair of glasses suspended at the begining of the obliterated light ray in each picture?). With all this

I am seeking a 'systematic' approach to the issue. As far as I remember, I was quite puzzled to see that diamonds are analyzed as prisms in the first place. And it so happened that I could remember my high-school classes about that: otherwise the whole thing would be completely alien to anything else I do or see every day.

If this sounds intereting (does it!), I could build that pic to fit under the existing chart, on 2/3 of a letter format page... (this around 11 pm, GMT+2 time). Reply strongly appreciated!

----------------
On 12/8/2003 2:21:02 PM Cut Nut wrote:

Valeria it is designed to go with a certificate as an attachment where the top two photo’s are taken of the actual stone.

So for many it would be a first time explanation.
But we have decided it should be a detailed explanation, and it should fit onto a single sheet. The current reference chart at http://www.ideal-scope.com/idealscope_reference_chart.asp does not explain anything.

So you see that this is actually quite a challenge.

----------------

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK - this is a draft with the help of advice from many of you (special thanks to Kevin and Mara).

Most of the pictures are not final and a graphic designer will lay it out when it is finalized.

But pretend you know nothing (like me
1.gif
) - would you understand the Ideal-Scope and realistic pictures printed on a cert if you were about to buy a diamond, and this info sheet came with the certificate?

Version 2.4 Small.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better Garry...but IMO the head shadow is still really confusing with the images (not necessary IMO) and also the second explanation seeming out of place in the bottom part. Also the random leakage bits in the bottom seem out of place. When I was playing around with it, I struggled mostly on the format, if you were to not try to keep it in just a table format...I think you could most of what you wanted to say in a more loose format with sections. But it's hard to judge when the format is not correct.

Also I think that some of the first few top paragraphs were a little too 'dumbed down'. (e.g. 'this is called leakage')

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Overall great improvements
1.gif
Can't wait to see the finished product, I think that it will be very helpful to the average customer interested in the IS.

Oh and one last comment, does 'red light' really shine onto the diamond in the IS? That sounds a little odd?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results