shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! Do I need to get it appraised before or after it is set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seahorse

Rough_Rock
I want to buy a stone online, have it sent to me to look at, send it back to the vendor to get set, and then get it appraised once its all done. If I get it appraised before I have it set, and then I get it appraised again after its set, this would be too expensive and time consuming. Plus there are no appraisers near me - the closest is 3 hours away. I cant have it sent there first without seeing it. So with work and school theres no way I could go and see the diamond first at the appraisers, and then decide if I want to buy it then and there, and then watch him appraise it. THen I have to get it all reappraised after its set. Im confused. Will it be okay to get it appraised after its all set? What if its not the same stone that I bought, and then what will I do? THe company wont refund the money, would they? I know my credit card has buyer protection, would this cover it? PLease help any help would be appreciated! Im so confused and frankly scared.
sad.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Read this thread and it will answer some of your questions.
click

Jim-Schultz

Rough_Rock
Seahorse,

You should let the online vendor set your stone. It'll save you time, money, energy and headache. Make sure everything is returnable (including the setting), then get the ring checked and appraised after it arrives. It's a common misconception that an appraiser can't positively identify a diamond once it's mounted - in fact they definitely can.

The only exception to the above advice MIGHT be for a fancy shape diamond. While I'm a believer in buying rounds and princess cuts off paper, ovals, pears and marquises can get tricky.

At the end of the day, do what makes the most sense for your situation and make sure you trust who you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results