shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help decide between 2 diamonds and 2 settings!

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have been absorbing all the knowlege on this website, its great. I feel pretty well educated!

I have the setting narrowed down to one style (she picked it).

1) The A. Jaffe ME1553. This is .32 ct, H VS2 stones, set in 18k White Gold. I$1,990 (I had Solomon Bros. Match the listing below)

http://www.bengarelick.com/commerce/detail/?nPID=3448

2) Blue Nile has the almost identical ring, .3 CT, H VS2 stones, set in PLATNIUM for $1,200 (800 savings)

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=STYLE_STEP&offer_id=17372

Which would you go for? Is Blue Nile ring quality questionable?

For the diamond, its trickier.

I want to buy my diamond and ring from the same retailer to avoid going to a jeweler to put them together.

Solomon has this diamond (my preference) but I am waiting for the cut and pavillion angles:

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Diamond_55F4H559

What concerns me is why is the GIA certificated dated 2004?? They are currently holding it for me till I get the angles.

Blue Nile has this diamond:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD02110061

Should I go with the Solomon + A. Jaffe combo, the Blue Nile Combo for $700 less, or the blue nile setting with the Solomon diamond?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of the blue Nile setting better. As for the diamonds I am a newbi but I think they will tell you the BN diamond is too deep. The 2nd stone's Strong blue would scare me without seeing it. I have read it can look milky. That is one you should see more than likely. Again, I only know what I have read. No expert. Use the tools tab to help you asses the cut.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
Thank you! The depth of the BN diamond is a concern, plus I have seen much higher quality diamonds here on PS for similar pricing.

Here are the specs on the soloman diamond (GIA)
Cash Price $3,103
Credit Price: $3,166
Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 0.81
Color: G
Clarity: Vs2
Cut Grade: Very Good
Table %: 56.00
Depth %: 62.10
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: N
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
Measurements: 5.99-6.03x3.73
Length/Width ratio: 1.01
GIA: 13554981

I am concerned that the GIA report is from 2004. Also, I am waiting on the complete dimensions, I currently have this diamond on hold.

Question about the setting... Is it worth going with the A. Jaffe for an additional $800? Are BN settings quality?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There will not be additional information as GIA only started to keep track of the crown and pavilion angles in mid 2005 unless the vendor sends the stone back to GIA for a re-grading or he just scan the stone with his own sarin scanner.

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
So probably not worth the risk? It is graded by the GIA as "very good", reliable enough?

poprocks

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am only commenting on the design because I don't know much about diamonds purely from the numbers.

I really love the design. As a matter of fact, I am having one custom made using that style with a few tweaks. I was excited to see your post because I love the A. Jaffe designs and I don't see much of that here on PS.

Anyway, does your girlfriend care whether it's from a "designer"? And does she have a preference in material? Maybe that can help you decide.

For me personally, I think that the diamond is the most important part of the ring. That's why they say "diamonds" are forever, and not "diamond rings" are forever :cheeky: That's why I would be perfectly happy with a plain solitaire setting, but would like the nicest stone in the best cut, size, and color that the budget allows for.

So, with this thought, I would get the Blue Nile setting (because they both look so similar and are both very nice) and use the $800 saving to put toward the diamond cost. I don't know if $800 can help you go up in size, cut, or color, but that is what I would TRY to do.

Hope that helps and keep us posted! :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are you planning on wearing a diamond wedding band? if so, the diamond band may eat each other up and cause severe damage. Just a thought, Beautiful setting and having seen A.Jaffe in person, I quite like the designer ring myself :love: .

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I can add is that I purchased an A Jaffe platinum signature wedding band for my husband, and the craftsmanship is amazingly flawless, even under 10X magnification.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results