carat
color
clarity

Please help! Crown/pavilion angle

Katjo

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi experts! ;-)
I have put a deposit on a diamond that I afterwards found out had a crown angle of 33 and pavilion angle of 41. How will this effect my diamond? Was it a bad choice? It's a GIA xxx G colour. From my little bit knowledge( that I've learnt on here!) It sounds like it just won't sparkle as much? It does look pretty bright! I have no IS image as I didn't know to ask for one at the time. Just looking for some advice on what to do and/or if it's still a decent diamond?

Please help :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the table and depth numbers from the cert? Sounds like it could be a 60/60 diamond which can be a very bright stone too.

Katjo

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here are the numbers from the GIA report. Thanks for the help

Depth 61.9
Table 56
Crown angle 33
Crown height 14
Pavilion angle 41
Pavilion depth 43.5
Star length 45
Lower half 80
Cutlet none
Griddle. Slightly thicK, faceted 4.5%
No florescene

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it is not a 60/60 stone. I don't know what the carat weight is but with the slightly thick girdle it will probably face up a bit smaller than it should because weight will hide there. Not a terrible diamond by any stretch but if you are looking to make a different choice, I would recommend trying to stay within these guidelines:

Table 54-58
Depth no greater than 62.3
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6 - 40.9

If you find another stone you want to consider, post the numbers here. You'll be sure to get lots of feedback.

Katjo

Rough_Rock
Premium
Well, it is not a 60/60 stone. I don't know what the carat weight is but with the slightly thick girdle it will probably face up a bit smaller than it should because weight will hide there. Not a terrible diamond by any stretch but if you are looking to make a different choice, I would recommend trying to stay within these guidelines:

Table 54-58
Depth no greater than 62.3
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6 - 40.9

If you find another stone you want to consider, post the numbers here. You'll be sure to get lots of feedback.

I was afraid of that as well. It's 0.51ct. Tgis diamond picking is hard! You think you found a great one and then something seems to be off. Ugh :( all the other proportions seem to be within the excellent cut standard. I don't know how this one got a excellent cut grade if the crown and pavilion aren't within range?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA has broad ranges for numbers in their excellent cut grade so that's what makes it possible. Are you buying from a jeweler or would you consider buying online?

Katjo

Rough_Rock
Premium
It's from a jeweler. We are having a custom halo ring made :) I am in Canada and buying online is a bit harder here it seems.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's from a jeweler. We are having a custom halo ring made :) I am in Canada and buying online is a bit harder here it seems.
We have a lot of folks from Canada and abroad buy online.

If you post you budget in USD (after taxes), we can post some options that your jeweler should be able to obtain for you.

Katjo

Rough_Rock
Premium
We have a lot of folks from Canada and abroad buy online.

If you post you budget in USD (after taxes), we can post some options that your jeweler should be able to obtain for you.

Okay, I'll do that if I decide not to go with this diamond :)
Would picking a different diamond be better? Or recommended? I am a little apprehensive on buying online as I've heard some issues with crossing the boarder and customs. But im not totally opposited to either. Just wish this one didn't have the crown angle problem UGH:(
Thanks for help!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds fine. Really.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, I'll do that if I decide not to go with this diamond :)
Would picking a different diamond be better? Or recommended? I am a little apprehensive on buying online as I've heard some issues with crossing the boarder and customs. But im not totally opposited to either. Just wish this one didn't have the crown angle problem UGH:(
Thanks for help!!

So long as your retailer uses a good shipping choice, and does the proper paperwork for you, it should NOT be a problem. Your diamond provider will ship the diamond (or assembled ring if you are using them to make the ring too). Customs will notify you what the tariff is and when you pay authorize the shipment to be released to you.

We have had a few that were delivered next day , but normally it is two to four days for delivery into Canada.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results