shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help compare two Whiteflash ACAs

CorisKessler

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I previously posted asking for opinions about a different diamond, but decided to go up on size to just shy of 1 carat, and went with option #1 (ACA, 0.945 ct G VS2) below and am waiting for it to arrive. However, I also noticed option #2 (ACA, 0.923 ct G SI1) for almost $1,000 less and could potentially switch to this one instead.

I find the comparison interesting because despite the slightly lower carat weight, the spread is exactly the same, even infinitesimally larger (the diameters are 6.285 mm and 6.295 mm, respectively), and they are both color G. I asked the gemologist at Whiteflash whether the eye-cleanliness is the same at all distances and angles. She was able to take a closer look at option #2 and stated that despite the SI1 clarity, the inclusions are still so small that they can't be seen by the naked eye, even up close.

They are both within my budget, but would it be a no-brainer to go with the cheaper one with the same spread, color, and eye-cleanliness? Anything else with the proportions or AGS report that you think differentiates them?

Option #1 (ACA, 0.945 ct G VS2, $6,698 ): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4222790.htm

Option #2 (ACA, 0.923 ct G SI1, $5,717): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4222782.htm

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the cheaper stone. I prefer the smaller table (personal preference). I would also ask Whiteflash if both G’s are the same colour within their colour range (is one stone, or both nearer the H, or closer to an F).
Good luck.

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
Wow, these do appear to be very similar! I will note, some of the cut specifications are slightly different (the SI1 has a slightly smaller table and steeper crown). If I put both into the Holloway Cut Advisor, the S11 scores a 1.2, vs a 0.9 for the VS2. The 1.2 is slightly preferred for rings (scores of 1-2 are the favored range). I will defer to more seasoned PSers on the difference between the angles, but whether the difference is visible is probably somewhat dependent on the individual since these are both ACA super ideals.

Personally, I would go with the SI1 and save ~$1,000. I don't like to pay for what I can't see and I definitely would have sprung for an eye-clean SI1 when I picked out my e-ring had one been available (I went with a VS2).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I previously posted asking for opinions about a different diamond, but decided to go up on size to just shy of 1 carat, and went with option #1 (ACA, 0.945 ct G VS2) below and am waiting for it to arrive. However, I also noticed option #2 (ACA, 0.923 ct G SI1) for almost $1,000 less and could potentially switch to this one instead.

I find the comparison interesting because despite the slightly lower carat weight, the spread is exactly the same, even infinitesimally larger (the diameters are 6.285 mm and 6.295 mm, respectively), and they are both color G. I asked the gemologist at Whiteflash whether the eye-cleanliness is the same at all distances and angles. She was able to take a closer look at option #2 and stated that despite the SI1 clarity, the inclusions are still so small that they can't be seen by the naked eye, even up close.

They are both within my budget, but would it be a no-brainer to go with the cheaper one with the same spread, color, and eye-cleanliness? Anything else with the proportions or AGS report that you think differentiates them?

Option #1 (ACA, 0.945 ct G VS2, $6,698 ): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4222790.htm

Option #2 (ACA, 0.923 ct G SI1, $5,717): https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4222782.htm

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

All ACAs are going to be amazing. So I would go with the cheaper option if its eye clean and the same size

CorisKessler

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. To those of you who referred to the smaller table, is that because there is more potential for fire? I watched both videos, and it seemed like the VS2 maybe has more colored flashes, but I could completely be making that up, and of course there could be subtly different lighting conditions in both videos. I'm well aware we are splitting the hairs of the hairs at this point :)

lurkie91

Rough_Rock
My understanding is that smaller table + steeper crown = potentially (but not guaranteed) more fire. I have seen the small table preference a lot on PS, but I’m not 100% sure where it comes from.

Here is a good discussion/debate on small tables and fire (and whether the difference is appreciable, and under what conditions): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/year-of-the-small-table.248840/

My e-ring ACA has a 54.9% table. I may be guilty of internalizing the PS preference for small tables. In my highly non-technical opinion, I like small tables because they are cuter :)

ETA: not to imply there is one singular PS opinion on optimal stats... just that I have noticed the preference for smaller tables is quite popular around here.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all. To those of you who referred to the smaller table, is that because there is more potential for fire? I watched both videos, and it seemed like the VS2 maybe has more colored flashes, but I could completely be making that up, and of course there could be subtly different lighting conditions in both videos. I'm well aware we are splitting the hairs of the hairs at this point :)

I think that a lot of us prefer smaller tables if there will be a noticible difference (e.g. I usually like stones with a 54-56 table vs 57-59), but in this case you are considering 2 stones with "small" tables so I honestly don't think that would be a deciding factor for me at all.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

I like a small table, higher crown visually. If more fire is produced because of that, then a plus. If you are undecided ask Whiteflash to create a video for you, this may help you decide hopefully, even if it rules one out for you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take the G SI1 if eye clean and save the $1k.

CorisKessler

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your opinions! I confirmed with Liza that there is pretty much no difference in color; she said they are both solid G range.

I think I am getting stuck with a little anchoring bias! The consensus, and the more logical choice, seems to be the eye-clean SI1, but for some illogical reason I still feel torn.

I think one thing drawing me back to the VS2 is this nagging subjective feeling that the video is slightly more firey. I know that video doesn't represent regular lighting conditions, but human bias can be powerful. Can PSers (and @sledge perhaps) weigh in on the videos? If the videos are pretty much equivalent, and it's just my brain playing tricks on me, I'd feel more confident choosing the SI1 and moving on. Thanks!

CorisKessler

Rough_Rock
Update: Actually, since of course the most crucial opinion is that of my girlfriend who is going to wear it, we did a little blinded experiment and she slightly preferred the videos of the SI1, although of course they are both great! She also tried to guess which was more included, but without knowing which was which, thought it was the VS2. Good enough for me to feel comfortable with the SI1, and hopefully that puts an end to the analysis paralysis :)

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I’m glad that your girlfriend liked the .923c. I owned that stone for a year (along with the .924 G SI1 that they have listed) as one of a pair of earrings.

It is a beautiful stone! I never saw an inclusion with my bare eye. I only louped the diamond once and had trouble finding any inclusions under the loupe. I think this stone is a very nice SI1. I agonized about trading in the two stones because they were both such beautiful, bright diamonds. In the end, I decided that I wanted a full carat for my stones, so I did upgrade. I love my new earrings but those .92c G, SI1’s were stunning. Every time I saw them in the mirror, I thought, “Wow.“ I think the stone will be beautiful in a ring where you and she can foully appreciate it!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: Actually, since of course the most crucial opinion is that of my girlfriend who is going to wear it, we did a little blinded experiment and she slightly preferred the videos of the SI1, although of course they are both great! She also tried to guess which was more included, but without knowing which was which, thought it was the VS2. Good enough for me to feel comfortable with the SI1, and hopefully that puts an end to the analysis paralysis :)

Do yourself a favor and quit looking! I think a person could go insane second guessing their choice! :D I think you've picked
a beautiful stone! (and saved yourself a few bucks!)

CorisKessler

Rough_Rock
I think the insanity ship may have sailed, but yes, it's time to forget about diamonds for a little while! @Patty, a pleasant surprise to benefit from a one-year personal review from someone way more experienced. Thanks for chiming in! Makes me wonder where else this stone has been hanging out for the past billion years...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I got to the party late and see you have already decided. FWIW, I did look at the two stones. I think both are really stellar choices.

I don't think you are crazy. I too see a slight difference between the videos and also favored the VS2 in both the sparkle & brilliance videos.

The thing is they were really close, and both were excellent choices. I can see your reason for dilemma. Ultimately I think you did the wisest thing possible and let your soon to be wife make the choice. We all have preferences. Maybe I like the VS2 because of my own set of preferences. The SI1 obviously spoke to your wife as the best. Her opinion matters way more than either of ours. You know what they say, "happy wife, happy life", lol.

Seriously, I think you made a great choice. Don't second guess yourself. And who knows, maybe mama bear will want you to buy a gun for yourself with that $1,000 you saved. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results