shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help - Color Dilemma for Engagement Ring

SKYSERFIN

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! This forum has been incredibly helpful in my research for the perfect engagement ring. I've actually enjoying learning so much while researching. I picked out the setting, but am going back and forth on the stone. Here is the current stone I am seriously contemplating:

https://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2151724919

It looks amazing in person at least face up. From the side, I do notice some color - it's a J, but that is mainly in the white lights in the vendor's store. He's let me take the stone outside and it looks much whiter. I am having a dilemma on getting a 1.75ctw+ with a J or go down to a 1.5ctw with an H. I don't see the value in the price increase from a J to an I.

I need people's advice and comments in order for me to make a decision. I know its a personal preference but would appreciate people's real world experience!

I'm being quoted ta $11,400 for the stone, which seems reasonable given the cut, table, depth, VS2, xxx. My price range fro the stone is capped at $12,500.

Please help and thank you in advance. I'm having uploading pictures but will keep trying.

Thank you.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Go with the J. The J may have a bit of warmth to it, but this is not a bad thing regardless of you may have read elsewhere. The color difference is so slight between a G and a J that you're best off going with the "lower" color and gaining in size and quality of cut. I have a round brilliant J set into an antique ring, and it is spectacular.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
You are going to get differences in opinions. I had a J color 1.52 carat fancy as my original diamond and I never thought it was anything except white and was very happy with the color. People never asked about any of the other C's aside from carat, "how big" was all that got noticed. Then again I have never owned a stone higher than a J color..Good luck with your decision. Hopefully owners of both colors can chime in, seems many who own both enjoy both.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
People have different opinions but I personally would not go to a J for an e-ring diamond and I can see a massive difference between a G and a J. For reference, I have stones from E to M (missing F) above 1 ct.

What type of setting are you considering? A setting with side stones will make the color difference even more noticeable - I am in the process of resetting my J/K in a yellow gold or no side stone setting because of this.

SKYSERFIN

Rough_Rock
Platinum setting with three-sided stones. Very tiny. Tried to attach a photo of the stone and the setting. It's not set yet just placed on top.

_16325.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you set a J in a setting with higher color diamonds there will be a big contrast and you might not like it. It's such an individual taste preference that you really need to see it in person and different lighting situations to decide what your preference is with regards to color. I wouldn't like a J in an MRB for an ER while I might like it in another piece of jewelry or different cut diamond (i.e. OEC or OMC). But I would definitely not set a J with other higher colored diamonds unless you like that contrast.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
J's are fine for some folks, but the most important opinion (and really the only one that matters) is from the person who will be wearing the ring. I wouldn't get a J unless you are certain that she is okay with a little warmth. I have an I that faces up white, but there are times when a see a slight tint of warmth and it bothers me, so a J wouldn't be my personal preference.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1396107914|3643417 said:
J's are fine for some folks, but the most important opinion (and really the only one that matters) is from the person who will be wearing the ring. I wouldn't get a J unless you are certain that she is okay with a little warmth. I have an I that faces up white, but there are times when a see a slight tint of warmth and it bothers me, so a J wouldn't be my personal preference.

+1

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
In a setting like the one posted with melee you will be happier with the H color unless you like to see contrast. Otherwise, many have a J color as a plain solitaire or in a halo that covers up the sides where you see the warmth.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Fancygems said:
In a setting like the one posted with melee you will be happier with the H color unless you like to see contrast. Otherwise, many have a J color as a plain solitaire or in a halo that covers up the sides where you see the warmth.

100% agree. H or above for that setting unless you know the wearer is happy with some tint and contrast between the center and melee.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the H.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, I have nothing against Js (my ering is a J) -- or Ks for that matter!!... :bigsmile:

If the difference in size was much more noticeable (like a 1.5 ct H vs a 2.2 ct J), then I would probably go for the J -- simply for the size. But since there's not a lot of difference in a 1.5 and 1.75, I'd go with the H all day. :))

SKYSERFIN

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. I'm still leaving towards the J. I can't find a comparable cut in an H for the price I'm looking at - want to be around $11,500 for the stone. The pic I uploaded makes the J appear a little warmer than in person.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I would consider looking for a smaller size with better color to get within your price range - unless you are 100% certain that she is okay with a little color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results