shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help choose between the two diamonds.

Which one would you pick?

• 1.6ct option

• 1.5ct option

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.
I have been educating myself on diamonds for the last few months and just about ready to pull the trigger.
I have narrowed down to 2 diamonds. Could I get some help in deciding on which one? and opinion on each stone?
Both rocks have a cut advisor score of 1.4.

Thanks in advance

1) $10,320 - 1.6ct - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9448700
  • Color - I
  • Clarity- VS1
  • Cut - Excellent
  • Polish - Excellent
  • Symmetry - Excellent
  • Fluorescence - None
  • L/W (mm) - 7.46x7.51
  • L/W Ratio - 1.01
  • Certificate - GIA
  • GIA Comments: Additional pinpoints are not shown

2) $8,400 - 1.5ct - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-10161095

• Color - I
  • Clarity- VS2
  • Cut - Excellent
  • Polish - Excellent
  • Symmetry - Excellent
  • Fluorescence - Faint
  • L/W (mm) - 7.29 x 7.35
  • L/W Ratio - 1.01
  • Certificate - GIA
  • GIA Comments: Surface graining is not shown.

I am in love with either diamond. I am just wondering if the slight upgrade is worth the extra $2000

Thanks all,
1.6ct cert.jpeg 1.5ct cert.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the proportions of the first diamond, but it says not available--do you have it on hold? Can you ask for an Ideal-Scope image?

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
I prefer the proportions of the first diamond, but it says not available--do you have it on hold? Can you ask for an Ideal-Scope image?

Thanks for your reply Kim. I am thinking the same thing.

According the JA due to Covid 19 their imaging department is currently closed. They are unable to provide any ideal scope images.

Yes. they are on hold

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.6c should have less leakage the 1.5c. The 1.5c is wonky.
The 1.6c is a reasonable option

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reds and misaligned arrows/heads show the unevenly cut pavilion. As a results, the areas circle in blue may have significant light leakage.
B or B-
Screenshot_20201127-082510_Chrome.jpg

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
The reds and misaligned arrows/heads show the unevenly cut pavilion. As a results, the areas circle in blue may have significant light leakage.
B or B-
Screenshot_20201127-082510_Chrome.jpg

Thanks!! The 1.6ct looks okay thou ?

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
Anyone else with any additional thoughts? I am going to proceed with the 1.6

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.6

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
I don't see anything better from JA at that price.

Thanks for your reply. I have been reading extensively into ASET / idealscopes. Unfortunately, JA is unable to provide them at this time. I have already placed the order for the 1.6ct. But now I am concerned with the light performance and hesitating on my purchase.

I am debating on cancelling the order and getting the true hearts collection as they have the ideal scope details. Alternatively, I can build a DIY ASET scope and inspect the diamond when it gets here.

Do you think I should be concerned? any recommendation on how I should proceed?

Thanks

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are things to consider
1. The 1.6c is at least Tiffant Quality or better. I see couple minor flaws and there could be some leakage. Conservatively, I say 90~95 out 100.
2. Good diamonds get sold really fast around this time and there is no promise that you will find a better diamond at that price at least until (or even after) Valentines Day
3. US shoppers are eligible for free return with extended return period currently.
4. Building a DIY ASET/IS is fun and works reasonably well.
5. It is recommended that you see the IS/ASET before making a decision. This is not possible in all cases. How much risk/hassle are you willing to accept? It is upto you.

@Kim N regarding that particular TH, I am not a fan of the IS image and also do not like diamonds with old SKU#. It is probably a trade in with an old report.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig ah, thanks, did not notice the old SKU# and I see what you mean about the IS.

Ctwmn

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.
I have been educating myself on diamonds for the last few months and just about ready to pull the trigger.
I have narrowed down to 2 diamonds. Could I get some help in deciding on which one? and opinion on each stone?
Both rocks have a cut advisor score of 1.4.

Thanks in advance

1) $10,320 - 1.6ct - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-9448700
  • Color - I
  • Clarity- VS1
  • Cut - Excellent
  • Polish - Excellent
  • Symmetry - Excellent
  • Fluorescence - None
  • L/W (mm) - 7.46x7.51
  • L/W Ratio - 1.01
  • Certificate - GIA
  • GIA Comments: Additional pinpoints are not shown

2) $8,400 - 1.5ct - https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-10161095

• Color - I
  • Clarity- VS2
  • Cut - Excellent
  • Polish - Excellent
  • Symmetry - Excellent
  • Fluorescence - Faint
  • L/W (mm) - 7.29 x 7.35
  • L/W Ratio - 1.01
  • Certificate - GIA
  • GIA Comments: Surface graining is not shown.

I am in love with either diamond. I am just wondering if the slight upgrade is worth the extra $2000

Thanks all,
1.6ct cert.jpeg 1.5ct cert.jpeg

I'd pick 2 a. Saving money b. Slight floureces

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds performance and numbers are good. The price is attractive.
I just do not like diamonds with an old report. The diamond was graded in 2016 (and the SKU reflects that) and it must be a trade-in. Nothing wrong with trade-ins. I just do not like their practice of not sending trade-ins to GIA/AGS for re-grading and reports. There could have been damages, minor chips and micro abrasions in the least 4 years.

It is like a buying a house or car based on a 4 year inspection report.

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
I just do not like diamonds with an old report. The diamond was graded in 2016 (and the SKU reflects that) and it must be a trade-in. Nothing wrong with trade-ins. I just do not like their practice of not sending trade-ins to GIA/AGS for re-grading and reports. There could have been damages, minor chips and micro abrasions in the least 4 years.

That makes alot of sense. I decided to go with the 1.6ct we originally picked. It will arrive to me by the Dec 21. My DIY ASET scope is ready to go. I will attempt to take some photos and report back.

Thank you for everyone's (especially @flyingpig) input. It was much appreciated.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

@flyingpig , that very insightful. Btw, how do we know whether if the SKU is "old" or whether if the diamond has been traded in? Is a report from Nov 2019 last year considered as old?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig , that very insightful. Btw, how do we know whether if the SKU is "old" or whether if the diamond has been traded in? Is a report from Nov 2019 last year considered as old?

When you spend too much time on JA for 5 yrs, you just get to know those. An exellent stone with reasonable pricing does not remain unsold for too long, just like a good house on a good lot in a popular neighbourhood.

If I see a good diamond with popular 3Cs and excellent pricing, but with a year old report, I would start to question.

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
@flyingpig

Hey. I finally got my diamond in the mail. I have taken some photos with my DIY Aset scope. It was very tough to manage the angles. But here are the best angles I can take with the least light leakage. There are much more light leakages than I expected. Thoughts? should I return it ? ASET.png

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
I actually did not account for the height of the setting. I will retake some photos with the scope raised alittle.

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
Here is an updated photo. ASET2.PNG

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The image is fine. There is no light leakage. You probably noticed that the ASET image is highly sensitive to tilt, distance and backlight intensity, especially with an DIY one. And holding a camera and taking a proper picture while getting all of the above perfectly tuned is PITA.

Good job. It looks amazing. The photo of the diamond without the scope please?

Bartenderr

Rough_Rock
The image is fine. There is no light leakage. You probably noticed that the ASET image is highly sensitive to tilt, distance and backlight intensity, especially with an DIY one. And holding a camera and taking a proper picture while getting all of the above perfectly tuned is PITA.

Good job. It looks amazing. The photo of the diamond without the scope please?

Per your request :)

DSC06023.JPG DSC06032.JPG DSC06048.JPG DSC06072.JPG DSC06076.JPG DSC06098.JPG DSC06101.JPG DSC06112.JPG DSC06113.JPG DSC06118.JPG

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeap. Beautiful and no leakage

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results