shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! Chipped prong!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a six prong ring. Here is a picture so you can get an idea. image_3770.jpg
One of the prongs is broken. I can't get to my jeweler until Saturday. When I shake the ring, I can hear it jingle. Since it has 6 prongs, is it still safe to wear?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would you risk it? Put it away until you can get it looked at. It's only for a few days, definitely not worth losing your stone so that you can wear it for the next 4 or 5 days. I wouldn't.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In theory the diamond is still safe with one prong missing - the gap should not be large enough for the diamond to slip out through. That assumes all the prongs were notched reasonably well, etc, and that none of the other prongs were damaged by whatever damaged the notched prong. Still, I agree with Bonfire - err on the side of caution and set the ring aside until you can get it to a jeweler.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for keeping it safe until you can get it to the jeweler. :wavey:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to say why risk it then again if I was going out to dinner and it was my only bit of substantial bling I would cuz I like to show my bling off :angel:

CutRateDiamondsInc

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree to Bonfire. Why to take risk. But again, as mentioned earlier also, if other prongs are well set, it might not get out. But as you've mentioned, you can hear the voices, it is going to be really risky. Wait until you visit your jeweler. :angel:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, it is not safe to wear. If the stone is moving in the setting, then it's abrading the remaining prongs from the inside because of that movement. Diamonds are hard. Gold not so much. A spinning diamond can literally saw off the tips of the remaining prongs.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser gave the best reason not to wear it. I have seen this happen in our shop. DON'T WEAR IT!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser|1442315202|3927946 said:
No, it is not safe to wear. If the stone is moving in the setting, then it's abrading the remaining prongs from the inside because of that movement. Diamonds are hard. Gold not so much. A spinning diamond can literally saw off the tips of the remaining prongs.

Thank you for that explanation!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all of you for knocking some sense into me!
Now im left feeling paranoid about ever resetting into a 4 prong! I have no idea how i chipped my prong or when, but am grateful that i noticed. I usually baby my ring but i guess these things happen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results