shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help -- buying Asscher, need ADVICE!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pittsburgh66

Rough_Rock
I have been searching and researching for several months, and this is what it''s coming down to...

I''d really like some feedback on the following center stone.

1.24 F VVS2 Asscher, 68.6 depth, 61 table. 6.07x5.93 x4.07 (1.02); girdle is thick to very thick

I have seen the GIA report, which confirms the numbers above.

Pictures are below...

I also have an IdealScope image, which I will post if requested. Thanks!!

myring121406reduced3.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
post the IS please, lots of tilt in the photos.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
also have you seen it in person?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that there is some tilt in the photos ... I like the shape of the stone ... hard to tell for sure about the internal pattern without seeing it DEAD STRAIGHT ON, could be awesome!

Curious: what are the SYM & POLISH grades (VG? EX?)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Is your GIA dated in 2006 or B 4? Where is the GIA nr located on the certificate?

pittsburgh66

Rough_Rock
The GIA report is dated Aug. 24, 2006. I have not seen it in person -- it IS the diamond linked to at exceldiamonds, but it is being held for me, so I don't mind the link. Actually, Barry at excel said that the diamond looks even better in person, and guaranteed that I'll love it -- I'm an attorney and I know sales "puffery" when I see it, but I still thought those were strong words from a reputable professional.

They put these pics together for me yesterday -- they've been very helpful and professional.

Symm and polish grades are both EX.

As for a setting, I'm planning on the reproductoin of the 1922 Cartier (yes, I know it's not so unique of a pairing, but it's unique to us and our circle of friends, and that's what matters) . It's a classic look that features the fancy cut of the Asscher, and as it was pointed out that the Asscher doesn't always face up as big as rounds, I think the thin band and small sidestones will help to emphasize the center stone and not overpower it (as might happen with large sides).

I have a question on the setting, actually: excel and betterthandiamond.com both offer it, but BTD's version is half the price, and I can get the matching band plus e-ring for the same price as just the e-ring from excel. Links to those pages are:

excel Cartier: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Hand-Made-Cartier-Reproduction-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-1129.html

BTD Cartier:
http://www.betterthandiamond.com/diamonds/jewelry/rings/cartier.ring.php
Here is the IS image:

15466_xlarge.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the BTD version better.

I agree with Barry that that asscher should be kicken in person. (as long as the crown height is over 10%?)

pittsburgh66

Rough_Rock
strm, I have asked barry about the crown height -- I''ll post his reply ASAP.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pittsburgh66. Not sure if anyone welcomed you, so WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

Looks like you''ve done your homework and found a potentially "storm-worthy" asscher! The color and clarity are superb and the cut is probably very nice - looks great in the photo!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about asschers, so I can''t comment on the stone. I wanted to comment on your setting. I think your choice to go with the cartier classic is a good one. Even though you don''t think it will be unique, asschers are still fairly uncommon and I think the ring will be stunning. I like the better than diamond one better as well. Another option would be having Barry re-create the setting the way you would like.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 3:21:47 PM
Author: pittsburgh66
Crown height is 17.4%.
kewl

Good to go then in my opinion.

pittsburgh66

Rough_Rock
Megascope: The numbers are slightly different than the GIA, but the l/w ratio is actually better than I had thought.

1.24F.jpg

mister

Rough_Rock
The asscher looks great. Go for it!

Also, I highly reccomend Barry-- He is absolutely phenomenal to work with. I recently purchased a GIA asscher (.8ct) from him, and when I went in to show it to a local jeweler, she about died-- couldn''t believe the price I got it for, and said that it was the most beautiful asscher she has ever seen.

Here is a pic.

osnowglobeay1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 5:40:07 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
you should be aware this stone has a very small spread
here we go again....
compared to what?
Compared to a round yea all asschers do.
There is no ideal spread for an asscher.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results