shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help assessing light performance!!

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I just purchased (more or less to reserve it, as it checked a lot of boxes for me on paper and I didnt want to lose it) this diamond off of james allen for an engagement ring. It was approximately $8600 for the loose stone.

table%/depth%/crownangle/pavilionangle = 58.0/60.3/32/41, it gets a 0.9 with HCA (all result factors being deemed "excellent")

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-882048

I am concerned about the crown angle and it's affect on light performance... unfortunately I am new to this and, upon learning about the HCA figured for the money it was worth a shot (given the other cut/sym/polish grades, clarity, color, etc), but now I am not so sure. I cannot get an ASET/Idealscope until the diamond ships to a different JA location, and when I watch it rotate on the website I feel as though you see A LOT of shadow in the diamond while its rotating across the table (which while I am not sure if that is a good indicator, its kind of freaking me out).

Should I be concerned, or just calm down and wait for the ASET and Idealscope? If you have any concerns (because I am sure many people here hold things to a higher standard than the layman due to their experience), do you think I will still get good performance for the amount of money I spent? My budget for this ring is fairly flexible, but my gut reaction was that this diamond provided good value. I am questioning that now.

Thanks! I REALLY appreciate it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh JA's website is being terrible for me today so I can't open your link. So without seeing it, I'm just guessing here - but the darkness you see could be just the camera obstruction. I believe there was a thread a while back that explained this. Basically the camera is placed a certain distance away from the diamond, and this stops light from entering the diamond, hence some darkness. As soon as you move the camera back it would alleviate that.

So hopefully someone else will chime in (who can SEE the stone!) and reassure you. You can always purchase it and send it back if it's anything less than amazing as well, JA has a great return policy.

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
Ha thanks. That does make me feel better. I was operating under the assumption that for every diamond the camera is an identical distance/angle away (some sort of automated system), so by comparing comparable-quality diamonds I would've been able to guess at light issues.

I'll try and figure out how to post a pic of the diamond from the front.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
32 is too low for the crown angle try and get at least 33.5 -35.5

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
As far as I know, the higher crown angle will definitely lead to more "fire" as opposed to the current setup, which is more brilliant. This doesn't really bother me that much, as long as I am getting great performance. The HCA seems to indicate that still.

Other insights would certainly be appreciated. As well, I will post the ASET when I get it from JA.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know exactly what you are looking for. A stone with big spread with great light return. Even considering that, I still like to see crown angle of at least 32.5/33.0.

Re-run the HCA score and see where X is situated in the graph. It has no chance for AGS ideal, and barely makes to GIA ex

E B

Ideal_Rock
I think, with your (nice!) budget, you could find something a bit more balanced (TIC) and closer to "ideal" if you go to G color, but this diamond doesn't look bad at all-- as long as you understand it's considered a "BIC" (which it appears you've read about). If you want to stick with it, don't worry until the IS. :)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
drfunky0811|1455847508|3992770 said:
As far as I know, the higher crown angle will definitely lead to more "fire" as opposed to the current setup, which is more brilliant. This doesn't really bother me that much, as long as I am getting great performance. The HCA seems to indicate that still.

Other insights would certainly be appreciated. As well, I will post the ASET when I get it from JA.

Hi - I'm in the trade and can't comment on individual stones - - But during your search, keep in mind that, while it's a useful basic tool for quickly eliminating diamonds that you can't see, the HCA is limited and tends to favour slightly shallow stones. So while the HCA is promoted quite heavily on this forum, this is a perfect example of when getting a good HCA score doesn't always marry up with the parameters that tend to be favoured by many members here on PS. Also, be aware when asking for feedback, that what you find personally aesthetically appealing may not be reflected by some here on PS, where the parameters for what makes a 'beautiful' diamond are often very selective/niche...(this is an observation not a criticism...so to anyone thinking of taking offence...save the abuse for something that's worth it :lol: )
Hope this helps

drfunky0811

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone! When I get the ASET I will post it if I have any more questions.

I think I am fine with it being a BIC, and I agree with your last comment that the HCA seems to favor shallow cuts (the red for >35.5/36 is much less than the red going the other way). If I want to switch to a TIC or a FIC I'll certainly make the exchange though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results