shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help assessing ACAs

cbass13

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm new here but am trying to learn everything I can as I research an engagement ring. After visiting several stores I started reading about super ideal cuts and have decided to buy online, probably from WF, although I'd be open to other highly reputable vendors.

My girlfriend cares more about "sparkle" than spread, and I've been looking in the 1.7 to 2+ ct range. I would prefer staying in the E-F range (I really liked the colorless diamonds I saw in person), but think I'm open to G as well. I'd really like something that is totally eye clean, even if held right up to her face.

I see the 4 ACAs listed below, and have a few questions:

1. do any of these jump out as noticeably higher/lower quality when it comes to light return/fire/scintillation? (for example, is the slightly larger table in Option 2 below likely to result in less light return?) or is this just splitting hairs?
2. both Option 1 and 2 have dark inclusions on the table that are noticeable in the videos. is it reasonably likely that either of these would be visible to the naked eye if looked at from a few inches away?
3. do any of these jump out as noticeably better/worse value for the given specs?
4. why are these all selling at discounts (per ct) to this BGD Black? Are they really that good relative to ACAs? https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/1.711-f-vs1-signature-round-bkags-104117712001

Option 1: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4443705.htm
Option 2: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4511711.htm
Option 3: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4490297.htm
Option 4: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4490295.htm

Anything else I should be thinking about as I debate these options?

Also, I don't want to offend anyone, but I have to ask... do any of the forum members make commissions when they recommend specific diamonds to others? I'm pretty blown away by how passionate some members are about WF/BGD!

I really appreciate the help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is option 1 for the nice balanceof color and clarity and being the biggest of the bunch. I don't believe the inclusions would be visible to the naked eye, but ask WF if they meet your definition of eye-clean. I would put these on hold and ask WF for a side-by-side video so you can compare the brightness/fire/scintillation for yourself. You might find that one speaks to you the most.

Forum members do not make any commissions for recommending diamonds or vendors. It's against forum policies. We're just really enthusiastic about diamonds and particularly super ideal cuts! The few super ideal cut vendors there are tend to offer fantastic customer service, so we come back again and again and don't hesitate to recommend them.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no commissions to members - lol! There are many of us here who have purchased ACA's and love them and the customer service that accompanied the purchase. We also love their upgrade policies!
Brian Gavin was with Whiteflash in its early years and went on to branch out on his own. I think most would agree that their stones are on par with Whiteflash - not necessarily better.
You have chosen some beautiful diamonds - call Whiteflash and ask about them - they will be happy to speak with you and to provide additional photos as well!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Kim N My favorite would also be option 1. Bigger and whiter than the 2.04 G at the same price. Clarity shouldn't be an
issue.

The other G and the smaller E are also beautiful stones if you are looking to save a little money. I would prefer the size (2.02 over
the whiter E but that's me).

Also ditto kim N...ask WF for side-by-side photos. They will also give their honest opinion on inclusions.

Full disclosure...I've owned (and loved) two ACAs!

cbass13

Rough_Rock
Great, thanks all!

So it sounds like it really comes down to preference for color/size/cost and that all of these should be eye clean (but I can confirm with WF) and nothing stands out from the ASETs etc. that would indicate less brightness/fire/scintillation

Tanalasta_01

Rough_Rock
Premium
I noticed the inclusion on the ASET at a glance for diamond 1 prior to viewing the certificate. And this is common for a VS2 diamond in the 2Ct + range. So do ensure that it is 'eye clean' to your preference. For instance, the definition of arm's length is one thing. But some people hold things 10cm from their eye - though I don't think this would be that obvious in real life.

Brightness, fire, scintillation is splitting hairs in the ACA range. Even if you had all 3 diamonds side by side, I don't think you'd be able to tell which was which in sunlight.

It's certainly better than this example for instance
Which is still 'eye clean' but the inclusion are much more noticeable.

I would pick the one where the inclusion map, size/clarity/colour versus price proposition worked out best for you.

My other tip would be to put the diamond(s) you like on hold if you're at the serious stage.

Last edited:

Nycpanda

Rough_Rock
I was looking at these exact stones and range (1.7-2.1, EF, VS1+), so wanted to share some pictures that WF sent over to help compare the sizes and colors.

The first two pictures show the line up of stones by size than by color, includes 1.782 E VS1 and 2.048 G VS1. This is when I was debating size.

The 3rd/4th picture show the line up of stones, when I was then narrowing it down to 2 ct range. The 2.048 G VS1 is there. And then by color G vs F.

The last picture is out of my own curiosity what a line up of DEFG looked like.

My post, if it helps!

A923BE10-A4BA-49D5-AD43-28DFD6FF9B27.jpeg

Attachments

• F096BE6A-1E90-4D55-911D-D65B7CED7FEF.jpeg
    F096BE6A-1E90-4D55-911D-D65B7CED7FEF.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 31
  • B9BC41DA-D470-4DC2-AA13-2D101301CEA5.jpeg
    B9BC41DA-D470-4DC2-AA13-2D101301CEA5.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 34
  • FF241AD2-2B98-4E68-807C-1AC37C8F1D0F.jpeg
    FF241AD2-2B98-4E68-807C-1AC37C8F1D0F.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 35
  • A16C48E0-6776-407A-806D-64384EB82BCD.jpeg
    A16C48E0-6776-407A-806D-64384EB82BCD.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 34

cbass13

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Tanalasta_01 for mentioning that! That was sort of what I was initially trying to ask.

I reached out to WF, and while the inclusion isn’t easily visible in the comparison photos they provided, it does seem like it reflects around the stone a bit and they said that it and its reflections may be slightly visible from the side.

The E stone’s dark inclusion can also be seen up close from the top. So now I'm mostly just comparing the various G options around the 2ct range.

@Nycpanda - thanks so much for the comparison photos. Very helpful to see the 2 Gs side by side

Unfortunately there aren't other DEF options closer to 2ct, so I'm curious if any of you would personally rather drop down to the 1.5-1.6ct range for something like this

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4519827.htm

or this

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4484837.htm

rather than the various G color options at 2ct?

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
My girlfriend cares more about "sparkle" than spread, and I've been looking in the 1.7 to 2+ ct range. I would prefer staying in the E-F range (I really liked the colorless diamonds I saw in person), but think I'm open to G as well.

Unpopular opinion: if your GF isn't a size queen and you like the colour of the E and F, why not save yourself $10k and go with a stone in the 1.6-1.7 range?

The budget ranges you're looking at are very different beasts. With that "extra" $10k you could take her on an amazing vacation (or two), stay at a gorgeous place, and hire a photographer to capture the moment when you propose. Or use a portion of that $10k savings to get a custom setting made with tons of pave or halo to add more sparkle (if pave/halos are her style, of course)

Just my two cents :) You could do a lot of awesome things with $10k

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results