shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help a Newbie Find a Diamond w/in Budget

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I'm finally ready to make the big purchase, so I need your help! I've been learning a lot about diamonds from information on this site, but I would still feel more comfortable with input/suggestions from you all before I ultimately make a purchase, which I plan to do by next Friday.

So, here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: Approximately $14,000 to $15,500 on the diamond (obviously, lower the better without sacrificing quality)
Shape: Round Brilliant H&A
Cut: Ideal/Excellent
Size: Approx 1.5 ct
Color: G-H
Clarity: VS2-SI1

A local jeweler has found a 1.53 ct RB, ideal cut by AGS, for $14,000. I would be subject to the 6% sales tax here, so that would make this diamond $14,840. I have attached the report for this diamond. Will you take a look and let me know your thoughts? I’m concerned about the number of inclusions marked on the report.

I've also been looking at a few (and speaking with a representative) from Brian Gavin and James Allen. Will you give me some suggestions to consider if I should look at others besides the one from the local jeweler?

Also, for the setting, she likes the halo look, so I've been looking at the Sarah Halo from Brian Gavin (pricey, but looks very nice), the popular halo from Christopher Designs, and a few others from James Allen.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions from you all, as I have very little experience in this department, hence my handle name “1stDiamond." :lol:

Attachments

• AGS Report.pdf
    671.7 KB · Views: 59

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Love BGD I thought I would throw one at you from WF

This is a premium select but It looks really promising

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2192313.htm

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.1 - Excellent
within FIC range

Make sure no matter who you go through that you get the pricescope discount

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1307493679|2940318 said:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
within FIC range

Thanks for the WF suggestion. That looks promising as well. Does WF have any halo settings you would recommend?

Also, did you have any thoughts on the one the local jeweler found? Attached is another local diamond graded by GIA that's being offered for $11,500. Can I do better than these two local ones?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to find the best RB in my $14k-$15.5k budget.

GIA round.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
within FIC range

This stone is too deep making it face up way too small for a 1.5 ct. stone. It is only 7.24x7.28mm. I sometimes like premium select stones, but you have to see why they are in that category. If I am paying for a 1.5, I want it to look like 1.5!

I like all of the Brian Gavin stones. H VS2 is a nice choice. I'd be tempted to get the one with fluorescence myself!

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1307500038|2940427 said:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
within FIC range

This stone is too deep making it face up way too small for a 1.5 ct. stone. It is only 7.24x7.28mm. I sometimes like premium select stones, but you have to see why they are in that category. If I am paying for a 1.5, I want it to look like 1.5!

I like all of the Brian Gavin stones. H VS2 is a nice choice. I'd be tempted to get the one with fluorescence myself!
Thanks. I agree with the "I want it to look like a 1.5 ct stone" comment. :D

I noticed that the Brian Gavin stone with fluorescence states "strong blue." I assume she'd definitely notice it under some black light settings? Sounds pretty cool, but what's the difference between this and a H&A cut since both appear to be "ideal" on everything?? It looks like I could grab that one for under $14k, which isn't bad at all IMO. Thanks again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of Brian's stones are cut to ideal standards and some of the Blue line may indeed be true H&A and some may be near but not quite. Personally, I do not believe any of us could look at them side by side and tell. I also think the flouro would look cool if she was ever in black lights! But some people love it and some don't. I had a stone with med blue and never saw the flouro in 25 years! So you really don't encounter it very often unless you look for a place on purpose!

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1307501394|2940445 said:
All of Brian's stones are cut to ideal standards and some of the Blue line may indeed be true H&A and some may be near but not quite. Personally, I do not believe any of us could look at them side by side and tell. I also think the flouro would look cool if she was ever in black lights! But some people love it and some don't. I had a stone with med blue and never saw the flouro in 25 years! So you really don't encounter it very often unless you look for a place on purpose!

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll likely end up going with one of the Brian Gavin diamonds (either the H&A or the one with fluorescence).

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
Don't be shy about calling them up and asking their opinions, they are not going to jeopardize their reputations that hey have spent a lot of time/money to establish.

The cool thing, I think, about the blue fluorescence is, you don't have to go to a nightclub to see it. You can buy a little black light, hold it up to the stone and see it glowing blue! If you like that sort of thing. Also, it will help you to tell that it is yours if you are ever worried about leaving it with a jeweler for a cleaning, etc.

I think you have an ample budget to get something really nice in a beautiful setting, no problem!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

It is not too deep from the proportions, FIC is expected to have smaller spread. If you want an FIC, some prefer FIC to TIC/BIC, you will have to sacrifice spread for it, just basic geometry. Personal preference and priority. From the image, looks like a nice FIC.

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
Ickeymouse|1307540205|2940678 said:
Don't be shy about calling them up and asking their opinions, they are not going to jeopardize their reputations that hey have spent a lot of time/money to establish.

The cool thing, I think, about the blue fluorescence is, you don't have to go to a nightclub to see it. You can buy a little black light, hold it up to the stone and see it glowing blue! If you like that sort of thing. Also, it will help you to tell that it is yours if you are ever worried about leaving it with a jeweler for a cleaning, etc.

I think you have an ample budget to get something really nice in a beautiful setting, no problem!

Okay, I will give BG a call and get their thoughts.

The fluorescence does not affect the color of the stone does it? Meaning, during the day, a G/H color stone with strong fluorescence will not appear "darker" than a G/H color stone with little to no fluorescence, correct?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Fluorescence is the glow you see when you shine a blacklight on the dollar note. It is only activated in the presence of UV, so most indoor lighting conditions it will not be visible, maybe in a night club. Outside in the sun, strong and very strong blue fluorescence might be visible as a blue glow, how apparently it is depends on the intensity of the UV and strength of the fluorescence. Either you like it or you don't, personal preference, nothing bad about it.

More reading.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue_fluorescence_diamonds

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1307549021|2940771 said:
Nope. Fluorescence is the glow you see when you shine a blacklight on the dollar note. It is only activated in the presence of UV, so most indoor lighting conditions it will not be visible, maybe in a night club. Outside in the sun, strong and very strong blue fluorescence might be visible as a blue glow, how apparently it is depends on the intensity of the UV and strength of the fluorescence. Either you like it or you don't, personal preference, nothing bad about it.

More reading.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue_fluorescence_diamonds
Thanks!

Will you give me your opinion specifically on the attached stone? It's local, and I can get it for about $14,500. It doesn't look like a true H&A, so that plays somewhat of a factor, especially since I believe I can get a true H&A or the one with fluorescence from BG for about the same price.

Attachments

• 104045795015-PLDQR[1].pdf
    671.7 KB · Views: 35

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Local stone could work. The AGS computer generated ASET image could have some scanning error in the input to get that image, not unheard of, so prefer to see the actual ASET/IS image of the stone.

Down to personal preference I guess. Do you prefer a H&A stone with Fluor or not? :p Else, maybe buy the BGD diamond and have it sent loose to you so that you can compared it with the local one and see which you prefer? Side by side comparison is always the best way to tell which you prefer.

1stDiamond

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1307551821|2940810 said:
Local stone could work. The AGS computer generated ASET image could have some scanning error in the input to get that image, not unheard of, so prefer to see the actual ASET/IS image of the stone.

Down to personal preference I guess. Do you prefer a H&A stone with Fluor or not? :p Else, maybe buy the BGD diamond and have it sent loose to you so that you can compared it with the local one and see which you prefer? Side by side comparison is always the best way to tell which you prefer.
That's helpful. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure what I or she prefers regarding fluor or not, but I definitely want the best cut/"sparkle" I can get. I plan to take a trip down the street and take a look at the local stone. Attached is another local stone, but it only received a "very good" cut grade by GIA. However, he is offering it for $11,500.

So many decisions! :errrr:

GIA stone.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thick girdle and high crown depth is making the stone have a smaller diameter that similar weight stone. The shallower pavilion might result in obstruction issue, the stone looking dark as the observer is blocking most of the light the stone is suppose to reflect back to the observer, at normal viewing distance of around an arm's length away. All stones will go dark as you look at it too close, just not suppose to be so if it is well cut and you are looking at it from an arm's length away. Check that out as the rounding of numbers by GIA may make it look better or worse than what the numbers suggest.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Stone-cold11|1307545904|2940732 said:

It is not too deep from the proportions, FIC is expected to have smaller spread. If you want an FIC, some prefer FIC to TIC/BIC, you will have to sacrifice spread for it, just basic geometry. Personal preference and priority. From the image, looks like a nice FIC.

May I ask, what is FIC, TIC, BIC?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results