shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help a guy (me) out with your opinion on this setting

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, (sorry for such a long post, I just want to try and make this e-ring to be just as perfect as my future fiance is)

My name is Josh and I've just signed up to pricescope, this is my first post. I have been researching diamonds and engagement rings and the likes seriously for the last 6 months. It's come a time where I don't want to watch the price of diamonds go up any further and see the diamond size I can afford get smaller and smaller so I currently have a deposit on the following diamond:

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 5.88 - 5.91 x 3.61 mm
Carat Weight: 0.76 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics:
Crystal, Cloud

I am in Australia and so I am currently waiting for this diamond to arrive at the particular company I have ordered it though. Once it arrives they will do some analysis on it and email me their finding such as a 40x magnified photo so I can see the inclusions, an idealscope photo, HD videos of the actual diamond in both diffused lighting and spot lighting as well as an OGI Firetrace report. From there I can decide whether I want to go ahead with the stone or not. If so we then begin the ring design process.

I have fallen in love with the style and the concept of the infinity ring on the WhiteFlash website.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/infinity-diamond-engagement-ring-56.htm
My future fiance and I have spoken about getting engaged and she has said that she doesn't like standard round bands whether they have sidestones or not. She just doesn't like the standard roundness, she wants something a bit different. I think something similar to this ring by white flash will fit the bill nicely.

Being in Australia it isn't feasible for me to buy from whiteflash due to the duty fees and taxes I will have to pay for "importing" goods. So I was going to get something similar custom made here in Australia. So my question is, what is everyones opinion on this ring? I want to keep it a surprise and I want my future fiance to be the first to see the ring so thought I would put it out there to all you other girls out there. The whiteflash ring has 46 diamonds totaling 0.28ct's so this works out to be about 0.006cts per diamond. I am worried that these will be too small (roughly 1-1.1mm) and won't really look like diamonds as such, i'm worried they won't sparkle much and just look like part of the actual metal of the setting. So i've been thinking of maybe increasing the width of the split shanks a bit to accommodate 0.01ct diamonds (approx 1.3mm). What are your thoughts on this? Would this be a good idea, I still want it to have that kind of dainty look though, so will 0.01ct diamonds still look the part or will it be too thick. I'm not sure how much metal you need either side of the diamonds in this type of pave setting. I'm assuming 0.25m either side will be enough? This being the case the split shanks will be about 1.8mm thick.

This brings me to my next worry, if the split shanks are 1.8mm thick each that would theoretically make the underside of the ring (before the shank splits into two) approx 3.6mm wide. The white flash one is currently 3, it's widest part at the top is 6mm. Meaning to keep everything in proportion if I change the diamonds from 1-1.1mm to 1.3mm (0.006ct to 0.01ct) the widest points up the top of the setting will now be around 6.6mm. If you have a look at the "recently purchased" photo on the whiteflash website I really like the look of the band top and bottom, I think the whole thing together looks a bit like a crown or a tiara. Which is one of the biggest reasons i'm drawn to this ring because I always call my future fiance my "princess." But at the same time i'm also worried that the e-ring is already 6.6mm thick at its thickest at the top. I would guess I would probably go 0.02pt (1.7mm) diamonds in the wedding band so the wedding band will most probably be around 2.2mm thick (working with my theory that you may need 0.25mm of metal either side of the diamond in this pave setting, it could be more it could be less, i'm not sure) So you've got an e-ring of 6.6mm + 2.2mm for the wedding band which brings us to approx 9mm combined width. Plus when we add the eternity/anniversary ring which will most probably be the same as the wedding band there will be a combined width of approx 12mm all up. Will this look too big, my future fiance doesn't have huge hands, pretty average may even be on the smaller side I think she's a 5.5-6 ring size. She does like to wear big bulky rings though, not ones with diamonds as such you know just your cheap novelty rings. So I think the 6.6mm, 9mm and 12mm rings (as we progress through engagement, wedding, anniversary) will fit but not sure if it'll look funny on her. I'm trying to think into the future (all 3 rings on) not just the now (e-ring only).

I would really appreciate all your thoughts on the diamond size I should use for the melee whether anything bigger than the 0.006ct white flash uses will take away from the "dainty" look. Whether the 0.01cts would be any shinny-er than the 0.006cts white flash uses. (She loves sparkle)

Ladies I would love to hear your thoughts on whether the combined widths of these rings will be comfortable for her to wear keeping in mind that the top is the widest part of the ring, the underside of the e-ring is roughly 3.6mm, 6mm with wedding band and 8mm with eternity/anniversary ring.

I was also thinking about setting the center stone a bit lower if it's possible as she has a fairly active job. She is a community care nurse, she goes to elderly peoples houses and helps them with their meals and showers and cleaning etc. So the less that centre diamond sticks up the better. However she said she doesn't mind wearing the e-ring on a chain around her neck while she's at work.

I have attached the best photos I could find with her hands showing so you can see them in proportion to the rest of her body. As you can see in the last 2 photos, she has quite a big ring on (not the correct hand but would assume it's not far different) so I think the 6.6mm e-ring, 9mm combined e-ring and wedding band, and eventually 12mm e-ring wedding band and eternity/anniversary ring will fit on her finger? The question is will it look funny/out of place/too big???

Last opinion: what are your thoughts on the diamond I have selected. Is the 0.76ct going to be a good size for the size of her hand/body proportion and do you think it is a good size/will go well with this setting?

Thank you all very much in advance, sorry for all the questions, like I said I just want this ring to be perfect.

Josh

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Please help a guy (me) out with your opinion on this set

Hi and welcome :) I like the whiteflash ring you posted but I think it would be hard to find a band to go with it. What about something similar but with a smaller split between the bands?

like these
http://www.since1910.com/engagement/tacori/tacori-twist-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-2565rd-ps41.aspx
http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1330&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

as far as wearing both an anniversary band and wedding band with the engagement ring...it just depends on how she likes to wear her rings :) 12 mm seems like a bit much to me but there is always the option of wearing the anniversary band on the right hand? or if you go with a smaller split (the Tacori is only 3.8 mm at the widest point) then you would have more room for bands...

Lula

Ideal_Rock

The diamond looks great.

I think you're on the right track with a split-shank style, but I think from your description of her job and also her personal style (from your description of her and the photos), I think the center diamond should really be a lot lower. I see how the WF setting does have the tiara/crown look to it, and it is very sweet of you to say that you tell her that she is your princess. So I see the connection there, but am wondering if this ring will be just a bit fussy for her day-to-day life? I do like how WF shows the ring with two eternity bands (the recently purchased photo). WF uses high-quality small diamonds in their settings; your local custom jeweler may or may not be able to obtain high-quality smaller stones, and, yes, you are correct, the smaller they are, the more likely they are to just look like white dots with no sparkle. So my suggestion is that you go for a plain split shank engagement ring, with the stone set low, something like this http://www.whiteflash.com/jewelry/images/the-katie-solitaire-engagement-ring-realphoto-1268.htm and then put an eternity band on either side of this ring as wedding bands. That way you can design the eternity bands to have slightly larger diamonds in them, and you can work with your local jeweler to find good quality diamonds for the eternity bands in a slightly larger size (approx. 2 mm stones). The plain band on the engagement ring will set off the center stone more than the blingy-band will. I think the split shank with diamonds paired with 2 eternity bands may overwhelm your beautiful center stone.

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the quick responses guys. A solitaire ring is definitely a no go. She's straight out said to me she doesn't like solitaire rings. Also I don't want her job as a community care nurse to be the limiting factor because we're still both young (24) and have our whole future ahead of us. She's only been doing the job just on 2 years and has recently been saying that she's not sure if she wants to go any further with it. She has a tendency to swap and change professions every couple of years. I do see what you're saying in that all together (e-ring, wedding band and eternity/anniversary ring) they might be too blingy and the centre stone may get "lost" in it all. Though she has said she likes lots of "sparkles" lol and has said that she likes sidestones in the e-rings and in the wedding bands. Every ring she points out to me in the chain store jewelers catalogs that she likes is that vintage type look with lots of little diamonds all over it.

Another ring I was very seriously considering for months was this one by blue nile
http://au.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_6969
I actually showed her this one and she said she really liked it. But then I saw the infinity setting from white flash and instantly fell in love with it. I like the "infinity" meaning behind it with the "infinity" symbol (figure 8 on its side) incorporated into it. I also like the fact that when it's all together (the e-ring and 2 bands like in the "recently purchased" photo down the bottom of the white flash page) it looks like a crown/tiara, very fitting for the girl I call "princess" and I also like the fact that she hasn't seen this one. Unlike the blue nile one above.

The jeweler that I'm most probably going to go with (the one who is sourcing the centre stone for me) only uses Ideal cut Hearts & Arrows F/VS diamonds in there melee.

Hmmm decisions decisions!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Josh,

I love your first choice the infinity from whiteflash, very unique. You didn't mention your budget, and would she go for something vintage. Maybe this one would be a nice option definatly different and fit for a princess.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-482/2-13-Carat-European-Cut

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Hi clueless,

Yeah she would possibly like the vintage look but I most certainly do not. So that's another reason I like the infinity ring by WH. It's kinda a bit vintage but still really modern at the same time.

I guess i'll just have to keep looking, everytime I do I end up back at the infinity by WH :???:

My budget is $7000 Australian at the max. The 0.76ct diamond I have a deposit on is $4250 so I have around $2500 for the setting which I will be getting in Platinum rather than white gold.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

How about contacting WF about customizing the setting with a different head?

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Hi Dreamer D,

Its not so much the head that I'm worried about, its the e-ring width of around 6mm then when you add the wedding band it'll be approx 9mm wide then when the eternity/anniversary band comes a long it'll be approx 12mm wide in total. I don't know whether it's going to be too big and look silly on her hand, which is why I've posted photos of her so you guys can see her hand/body shape.

As I've mentioned, I will be getting whatever design I go with custom made here in Australia because import duties and taxes make it unfeasible to purchase from WH or any overseas company for that matter.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I'll be honest, it'll be very wide on your GF's hands. I am wearing my e-ring, w-band and anniversary band together right now. At the widest point, it is about 12mm, and I feel that it is the widest I'd go, because it's not the most comfortable (I used to only wearing 2 rings). I have extremely long and slim fingers, and my hands look longer and bigger in proportion to your GF"s hands do.

I wouldn't worry about the 3-ring stack just yet though, if you love the setting, go for it. Most people don't wear their anniversary bands stacked anyway. Some girls even choose to wear their w-band on the other hand because their split shank is enough bling.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

has she mentioned that she would like to wear her ering with a wedding band and an anniversary band?

to me, the picture on the WF page with the infinity setting with two bands...looks like too much and the diamond gets 'lost'

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the comments guys, from rings she's pointed out and things she's said I think she definitely wants to wear an e-ring and wedding band on the same finger. She (and I for that matter) like when the e-ring and wedding band combine together in such a way that it doesn't look like 2 separate rings. They combine together to kind of add another element to the e-ring to make one bigger ring as such if that makes sense.

We haven't really spoken about the eternity/anniversary ring but I think she would want to wear it on the same finger as the others. That one finger means a lot to her so I don't think she would want to wear such special rings on any other finger. Plus what I like best about the ring (and I'm sure she would too) is that it looks "complete" when all 3 rings are combine together. But by the sounds of it, it may be too wide. And I definitely understand where some of your are coming from when you say that when it's combined the centre stone may be "lost" I might have to go look at some halo rings because to me the centre stones get lost in these (just going from photos i've seen). Technically a halo ring is similar to the infinity ring with its bands because it has a lot of smaller diamonds around/near the centre stone so that may give me a better indication of what the infinity ring may look like.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I think the best way to see what the infinity ring would look like with the bands is to look at the picture on WF's website. A halo ring is not that similar because it has diamonds surrounding the center stone which can make it look larger.

if she wants to wear three bands together what about a simple pave setting for the engagement ring?
for example
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1011.htm

or something like this without the halo (a smaller split)
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/diamond-braid-diamond-engagement-ring-120.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I guess I don't get why you asked for opinions (which we've given) then completely ignore them.

I don't like that setting-- even given everything you've said about her I'd pick something else for her. But I honestly don't think you want our opinions. You just want us to tell you we like the setting. We don't.

If you do... then go for it. It's your gift and your lady. Best of luck! :wavey:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Hi, again, Josh -- I just read your replies and it sounds like what you and your future fiancee both like is settings with small diamonds on the band (not a solitaire stone on a plain band) and neither one of you like straight bands -- you prefer a ring with a little shape or curve to it. Am I reading that right?

Also, it sounds like your girlfriend likes a more vintage look, but you like a more modern look, but not so modern that it's a plain setting.

It also sounds like you want to surprise her with a setting that she's never seen before, which is why the Blue Nile ring is not on your list, even though it sounds like you both like the look of that ring.

And you both like engagement rings and wedding bands that when worn together are unified in some way, not just two separate rings worn together, am I right about that?

You really like the WF Infinity design (I know that you'll have it made in Australia, so we're not talking about the same exact setting) but your main concern about that design is that it will be too wide for her finger. And I agree, that is a valid concern -- with the two bands and the open setting of the engagement ring, the ring will cover most of her finger, maybe up to the joint of her finger. A guideline for ring width is not to have the width of the ring be higher than the level of the joint of the pinky finger, so that the ring does not rub or knock against that finger joint. Everyone's hands have different proportions, and some people have a very long distance between the bottom of the hand and the first finger joint. As an example, on me, a ring up to 8 mm wide would be the maximum I could wear on my ring finger without it becoming uncomfortable (and looking disproportionate).

So, if you keep coming back to the Infinity design, you may want to show the photo to your jeweler and ask for his suggestions on how to keep the overall look of the ring, but bring the width down a few millimeters. I'd also suggest a more integrated head so that the diamond flows with the setting, similar to how the diamond is "nestled into" the setting by Blue Nile.

Here is a design called a "scaffolding setting" where the engagement ring is open, similar to the WF Infinity design, but it is designed in a way that allows the wedding band to slip under the open part of the engagement ring. This is just one example of that type of design. I know there have been other people on here who have had rings like this designed. Maybe some of the other posters here can locate other examples of this type of design if you like it.

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/details.aspx?style=176&cat=9

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's what I'd consider:

http://engaged.robbinsbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tacori_0360246.jpg Beautiful.

http://bluediamondring-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/unique-engagement-ring.jpg Love this one.

http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg Love this one. Would look great with a straight band... won't be perfectly flush but the gaps will be lovely.

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/12416-openness-beauty-in-a-platinum-diamond-ring Stunning Antique Dome Ring. THIS WOULD BE MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN FOR HER.

http://www.moissanite-rings.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/filigree-engagement-ring1.jpg Another antique dome ring.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EtiennePerret.com/EngagementRings#5094846441273348738 A modern dome ring, you can get this style done in all white metal and diamonds.

http://lovepromiseandring.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/unusual-engagement-rings.jpg This knot style is very popular right now.

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/details.aspx?style=30&cat=9 VERY unique

http://www.qohweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/pic7.jpg Also unique.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

Lula|1310775905|2970096 said:
Hi, again, Josh -- I just read your replies and it sounds like what you and your future fiancee both like is settings with small diamonds on the band (not a solitaire stone on a plain band) and neither one of you like straight bands -- you prefer a ring with a little shape or curve to it. Am I reading that right?

Also, it sounds like your girlfriend likes a more vintage look, but you like a more modern look, but not so modern that it's a plain setting.

It also sounds like you want to surprise her with a setting that she's never seen before, which is why the Blue Nile ring is not on your list, even though it sounds like you both like the look of that ring.

And you both like engagement rings and wedding bands that when worn together are unified in some way, not just two separate rings worn together, am I right about that?

You really like the WF Infinity design (I know that you'll have it made in Australia, so we're not talking about the same exact setting) but your main concern about that design is that it will be too wide for her finger. And I agree, that is a valid concern -- with the two bands and the open setting of the engagement ring, the ring will cover most of her finger, maybe up to the joint of her finger. A guideline for ring width is not to have the width of the ring be higher than the level of the joint of the pinky finger, so that the ring does not rub or knock against that finger joint. Everyone's hands have different proportions, and some people have a very long distance between the bottom of the hand and the first finger joint. As an example, on me, a ring up to 8 mm wide would be the maximum I could wear on my ring finger without it becoming uncomfortable (and looking disproportionate).

So, if you keep coming back to the Infinity design, you may want to show the photo to your jeweler and ask for his suggestions on how to keep the overall look of the ring, but bring the width down a few millimeters. I'd also suggest a more integrated head so that the diamond flows with the setting, similar to how the diamond is "nestled into" the setting by Blue Nile.

Here is a design called a "scaffolding setting" where the engagement ring is open, similar to the WF Infinity design, but it is designed in a way that allows the wedding band to slip under the open part of the engagement ring. This is just one example of that type of design. I know there have been other people on here who have had rings like this designed. Maybe some of the other posters here can locate other examples of this type of design if you like it.

That is so interesting! But it makes total sense. My width ould top out around 14mm but like I said before, I have long fingers!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I would definitely work with your designer to create a ring set as opposed to worrying just about the engagement ring design. Stone-Cold did this and the result was a beautiful ring...let me find his thread. you could also do a set where the wedding ring fits 'inside' the engagement ring like the one Lula posted from krikawa--there are many variations on that style.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-ring.147167/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-custom-ring.147167/[/URL]

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock

Josh as a fellow Australian I just wanted to point out that the Whiteflash setting you linked to is actually not outside your budget, especially given that our dollar is worth more than the US dollar at the moment. If you were to purchase that setting the only tax you would pay would be the 10% GST (plus shipping of course) which probably still bring you in on budget depending on what the exchange rate is at the moment. Because Australia has a free trade agreement with the US items that are imported from the US are exempt from the 5% duty that is usually charged. Whiteflash is aware of this as evidenced from this page and have systems in place to cater for customers from Australia: http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/australiaunited-states-free-trade-agreement.htm

Also I was wondering if you are sure you can have the same ring made in platinum cheaper in Australia? In my experience prices tend to be much higher with local jewellers than the online vendors you see here, and this difference is not justified by the quality of pieces produced here.

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Gypsy said:
I guess I don't get why you asked for opinions (which we've given) then completely ignore them.

I don't like that setting-- even given everything you've said about her I'd pick something else for her. But I honestly don't think you want our opinions. You just want us to tell you we like the setting. We don't.

If you do... then go for it. It's your gift and your lady. Best of luck! :wavey:

Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for I think, If I had come back and said something nasty or rude to anyone then fair enough the tone of your post is granted. But I haven't so I don't appreciate your post. I see you've come up with some very good ideas for me in a later post so for that I thank you, it is very helpful which is why I came to PS in the first place. Not for comments such as the ones above. I'm sorry if it seems I'm ignoring the comments posted in response to my topic, I'm not. It's just that I have really fallen in love with this setting and yes you are right I did come on here hoping for good news and hoping to hear "yes that's a nice setting and sure 12mm will be fine on her finger" but that hasn't been the case. I'm holding onto every last hope that it could work because each time I read someone advising against this setting it's like a blow to the heart, I've fallen that in love with it I desperately want it to work. Though it is starting to sink in now and I am contemplating the idea that I may have to look at something else. Which is why your other post is quite helpful.

Lula said:
Hi, again, Josh -- I just read your replies and it sounds like what you and your future fiancee both like is settings with small diamonds on the band (not a solitaire stone on a plain band) and neither one of you like straight bands -- you prefer a ring with a little shape or curve to it. Am I reading that right? YES

Also, it sounds like your girlfriend likes a more vintage look, but you like a more modern look, but not so modern that it's a plain setting. YES AGAIN

It also sounds like you want to surprise her with a setting that she's never seen before, which is why the Blue Nile ring is not on your list, even though it sounds like you both like the look of that ring. YES, SORT OF. I WOULD LIKE TO SURPRISE HER WITH SOMETHING SHE HAS NEVER SEEN BUT SHE'S ONLY VERY BRIEFLY SEEN A PICTURE OF THE BLUE NILE SETTING AND SAID SHE LIKED IT THEN I SHOWED HER A HEAP OF OTHERS SO I'M NOT TOTALLY AGAINST THE BLUE NILE SETTING

And you both like engagement rings and wedding bands that when worn together are unified in some way, not just two separate rings worn together, am I right about that? YES YOU'RE GOOD :D

You really like the WF Infinity design (I know that you'll have it made in Australia, so we're not talking about the same exact setting) but your main concern about that design is that it will be too wide for her finger. And I agree, that is a valid concern -- with the two bands and the open setting of the engagement ring, the ring will cover most of her finger, maybe up to the joint of her finger. A guideline for ring width is not to have the width of the ring be higher than the level of the joint of the pinky finger, so that the ring does not rub or knock against that finger joint. Everyone's hands have different proportions, and some people have a very long distance between the bottom of the hand and the first finger joint. As an example, on me, a ring up to 8 mm wide would be the maximum I could wear on my ring finger without it becoming uncomfortable (and looking disproportionate). THANKS FOR THIS INFO, THAT HELPS A LOT

So, if you keep coming back to the Infinity design, you may want to show the photo to your jeweler and ask for his suggestions on how to keep the overall look of the ring, but bring the width down a few millimeters. I'd also suggest a more integrated head so that the diamond flows with the setting, similar to how the diamond is "nestled into" the setting by Blue Nile. YEAH YOU'RE RIGHT, I MIGHT SEE WHAT THEY SUGGEST MAYBE. PROBLEM IS THE JEWELER IS ACTUALLY AN ONLINE JEWELER BASED IN ANOTHER STATE IN AUSTRALIA. SO I WILL BE DEALING WITH THEM VIA THE PHONE AND EMAILS ONLY SO WILL MAKE THIS PROCESS A LITTLE HARDER. THAT'S KINDA WHY I WANTED A FINALIZED DESIGN IN MY HEAD SO I CAN EASILY SHOW/EXPLAIN IT TO THEM BECAUSE I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT

I HAVE SEEN THESE TYPES OF SETTINGS IN THE MIST OF SEARCHING TIRELESSLY FOR THE PERFECT SETTING. I DON'T PARTICULARLY LIKE THEM THOUGH AND I DON'T THINK MY FUTURE FIANCE WOULD FANCY THEM EITHER :???:

You're spot on Lula, please see my comments above in BOLD RED CAPITALS

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

joshtaylor87|1310794823|2970240 said:
Gypsy said:

Well that was a bit harsh and uncalled for I think, If I had come back and said something nasty or rude to anyone then fair enough the tone of your post is granted. But I haven't so I don't appreciate your post. I see you've come up with some very good ideas for me in a later post so for that I thank you, it is very helpful which is why I came to PS in the first place. Not for comments such as the ones above. I'm sorry if it seems I'm ignoring the comments posted in response to my topic, I'm not. It's just that I have really fallen in love with this setting and yes you are right I did come on here hoping for good news and hoping to hear "yes that's a nice setting and sure 12mm will be fine on her finger" but that hasn't been the case. I'm holding onto every last hope that it could work because each time I read someone advising against this setting it's like a blow to the heart, I've fallen that in love with it I desperately want it to work. Though it is starting to sink in now and I am contemplating the idea that I may have to look at something else. Which is why your other post is quite helpful.

Sometimes, especially after a dozen posts of advice being ignored when someone isn't getting the point, slightly harsh is what works to get through. It's not my first choice but it worked to get you thinking of something other than this setting. So, I could apologize, but it wouldn't be sincere... my goal was to get your attention and get you to understand that you need to consider other options. I am sorry that it took someone being harsh to get through to you... but I glad you are considering other options. 8)

I would call up her mother/best friend/sister... whoever she is closest to that you trust. Pick 7 rings-- download the pics and then just send them over as attachments or as links if you prefer. Include the one you love in the choices, and include at least one nice antique one with a dome shape, and a couple others that are not ones that you strictly love, and then ask that person to ask your lady to comment on each (without letting your lady know why they are asking) -- she'll be very honest with someone she trusts (especially if they are discussing it in the abstract) and you can get her opinion without ruining the surprise.

I do understand loving something. But I can tell you that I can't wear anything over 8mm myself and that I would prefer something with a lovely integrated head, rather than a peg head.

Also since you are going custom... please make sure you research custom gone bad stories on here (there are MANY), use a credit card with buyer protection for your deposit, and a strict statement upfront that if you aren't pleased at any step (have them outline each step on your reciept) that you can have them re-do that step until you are happy. And that if at anytime it becomes clear that they have overstated their skill and capability and that they can't make what you want... you get all your money back. Also specify an INDEPENDENT appraiser IN ADVANCE to be the impartial judge if the workmanship is at issue. And make sure you don't use any appraiser they recommend or that they work with regularly. Find someone that is truly impartial.

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1310776377|2970105 said:

http://engaged.robbinsbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tacori_0360246.jpg Beautiful. DON'T MIND THIS ONE THOUGH A BIT TOO VINTAGE LOOKING I THINK

http://bluediamondring-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/unique-engagement-ring.jpg Love this one. WOULD BE GOOD FOR HER PROFESSION THE DIAMOND WOULD BE NICE AN PROTECTED FROM ANY BUMPS ETC BUT SHE LIKES SIDE STONES SO THIS WOULDN'T BE THE ONE. EVEN THOUGH THE WEDDING BAND CAN HAVE THE STONES, SHE JUST DOESN'T LIKE SOLITAIRE/ONE SINGLE DIAMOND NO MATTER WHAT THE SHAPE OF THE RING/BAND

http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg Love this one. Would look great with a straight band... won't be perfectly flush but the gaps will be lovely. THIS IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE FROM YOUR SUGGESTIONS HOWEVER I'M NOT SURE WHERE THE BAND WOULD SIT? UNDER THE CURVED TOP ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE CENTRE STONE WILL BE RAISED TOO HIGH FOR OUR LIKING). OR DO THE BANDS GO ON TOP AND BELOW (OUTSIDE) OF THE CURVED ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE WIDTH OF THE E-RING AND BANDS WILL BE GETTING WAY UP THERE AGAIN CAUSING THE SAME PROBLEM AS I'M HAVING WITH THE INFINITY RING FROM WH. DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS RING! IT IS QUITE DIFFERENT

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/12416-openness-beauty-in-a-platinum-diamond-ring Stunning Antique Dome Ring. THIS WOULD BE MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN FOR HER. SORRY NOT A FAN, ADD A BAND AND THE WIDTH IS GETTING UP THERE AGAIN AND IT'S TOO ANTIQUE LOOKING FOR US

http://www.moissanite-rings.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/filigree-engagement-ring1.jpg Another antique dome ring. AGAIN NOT A FAN

http://picasaweb.google.com/EtiennePerret.com/EngagementRings#5094846441273348738 A modern dome ring, you can get this style done in all white metal and diamonds. SAME AGAIN, DOESN'T TICKLE MY FANCY

http://lovepromiseandring.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/unusual-engagement-rings.jpg This knot style is very popular right now. NOT BAD BUT AGAIN ADD A BAND OR TWO AND THE WIDTH IS CREEPING UP THERE AGAIN

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/details.aspx?style=30&cat=9 VERY unique HAHA GETTING TOO UNIQUE NOW :confused:

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE

Thanks again for your suggestions, very helpful. I am very interested in the 3rd one. If only there were a few more pictures of this one. hmmmm now you've got me thinking :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

joshtaylor87|1310796146|2970250 said:

http://engaged.robbinsbrothers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tacori_0360246.jpg Beautiful. DON'T MIND THIS ONE THOUGH A BIT TOO VINTAGE LOOKING I THINK IF you get it made without the milgrain and you do a v-cut or french cut pave instead of the bright cut pave on this setting (the type of pave on the setting you love is v-cut) I think it could be a winner

http://bluediamondring-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/unique-engagement-ring.jpg Love this one. WOULD BE GOOD FOR HER PROFESSION THE DIAMOND WOULD BE NICE AN PROTECTED FROM ANY BUMPS ETC BUT SHE LIKES SIDE STONES SO THIS WOULDN'T BE THE ONE. EVEN THOUGH THE WEDDING BAND CAN HAVE THE STONES, SHE JUST DOESN'T LIKE SOLITAIRE/ONE SINGLE DIAMOND NO MATTER WHAT THE SHAPE OF THE RING/BAND You can always show the place that is doing your design this ring and ask them how they would incorporate pave in the design, you might be surprised

http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg Love this one. Would look great with a straight band... won't be perfectly flush but the gaps will be lovely. THIS IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE FROM YOUR SUGGESTIONS HOWEVER I'M NOT SURE WHERE THE BAND WOULD SIT? UNDER THE CURVED TOP ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE CENTRE STONE WILL BE RAISED TOO HIGH FOR OUR LIKING). OR DO THE BANDS GO ON TOP AND BELOW (OUTSIDE) OF THE CURVED ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE WIDTH OF THE E-RING AND BANDS WILL BE GETTING WAY UP THERE AGAIN CAUSING THE SAME PROBLEM AS I'M HAVING WITH THE INFINITY RING FROM WH. DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS RING! IT IS QUITE DIFFERENT I would wear only one band below it, a nice 2mm pave band or one on each side, I've seen this ring with a straight band and it is stunning, the width is far less than the one you chose, it will work. Also it can be made so that the profile allows a flush fit band to slide next to it, if you want to know how, I think I can cobble together something to show you how

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/12416-openness-beauty-in-a-platinum-diamond-ring Stunning Antique Dome Ring. THIS WOULD BE MY CHOICE HANDS DOWN FOR HER. SORRY NOT A FAN, ADD A BAND AND THE WIDTH IS GETTING UP THERE AGAIN AND IT'S TOO ANTIQUE LOOKING FOR US Fair enough

http://www.moissanite-rings.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/filigree-engagement-ring1.jpg Another antique dome ring. AGAIN NOT A FAN Fair enough, but show it to her and see what she says

http://picasaweb.google.com/EtiennePerret.com/EngagementRings#5094846441273348738 A modern dome ring, you can get this style done in all white metal and diamonds. SAME AGAIN, DOESN'T TICKLE MY FANCY

http://lovepromiseandring.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/unusual-engagement-rings.jpg This knot style is very popular right now. NOT BAD BUT AGAIN ADD A BAND OR TWO AND THE WIDTH IS CREEPING UP THERE AGAIN

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/details.aspx?style=30&cat=9 VERY unique HAHA GETTING TOO UNIQUE NOW :confused:

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE

Thanks again for your suggestions, very helpful. I am very interested in the 3rd one. If only there were a few more pictures of this one. hmmmm now you've got me thinking :)
That was the goal :wavey:

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

I would call up her mother/best friend/sister... whoever she is closest to that you trust. Pick 7 rings-- download the pics and then just send them over as attachments or as links if you prefer. Include the one you love in the choices, and include at least one nice antique one with a dome shape, and a couple others that are not ones that you strictly love, and then ask that person to ask your lady to comment on each (without letting your lady know why they are asking) -- she'll be very honest with someone she trusts (especially if they are discussing it in the abstract) and you can get her opinion without ruining the surprise.

I do understand loving something. But I can tell you that I can't wear anything over 8mm myself and that I would prefer something with a lovely integrated head, rather than a peg head.

Also since you are going custom... please make sure you research custom gone bad stories on here (there are MANY), use a credit card with buyer protection for your deposit, and a strict statement upfront that if you aren't pleased at any step (have them outline each step on your reciept) that you can have them re-do that step until you are happy. And that if at anytime it becomes clear that they have overstated their skill and capability and that they can't make what you want... you get all your money back. Also specify an INDEPENDENT appraiser IN ADVANCE to be the impartial judge if the workmanship is at issue. And make sure you don't use any appraiser they recommend or that they work with regularly. Find someone that is truly impartial.

Thanks for some more great advise, it wasn't your harsh post that got me thinking. All the others got me thinking and questioning my selection even more, I just don't/didn't want to let go :cry: Anyway...Your suggestion about getting her mum/friend/sister to talk to her would have been a good idea however, sadly her mum passed away quite a few years ago. Her only sister moved interstate shortly after, they are still close but the sister wouldn't really know what her style/likes are. Her best friend really isn't the type to talk to her about rings etc so she would think it's very strange that she would all of a sudden, she'd know something was up. So I would have to say that Out of everyone in her life, i'm the one who would know her the best. We're 24 years old and have been friends for half our lifetime. We've only officially been a couple for 2 years but we know each other so well and we get a long so well we just know it's right.

Thanks for the heads up about the whole custom thing. It is a little scary because as I mentioned I'm actually going to use an australian online wholesaler/jeweler. I have read a few good reviews, can't find a bad word about them. They're interstate so all my dealings with them will be via phone and email. I don't get to see the ring in person until it's fully paid for and posted to me :shock: I only see photos of it when it's complete. So maybe I should organize an independent appraiser lined up that's in their state that I can have look at the ring and give me a report before I make final payment. I'm going with them because being an online retailer they work out to be a lot cheaper then all my local jewelers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have you called Gary Holloway? He's in Australia and could either help you, or let you know who a good appraiser is, if nothing else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

http://blog.brianthecutter.com/2010/12/13/brian-gavin-creates-magnificent-custom-platinum-braided-diamond-engagement-ring-for-excited-couple%E2%80%A6/ How about something like this?

Or this.. similar to what you wanted but slimmer and the head is nicer: http://www.wheretogetengaged.com/public/users/984/7984/products/t5_1243711311.Envelop_Twist_Solitaire.jpg

I admittedly love this one.. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LNb1xalVkbU/S35h993828I/AAAAAAAABw0/hQiXKOLokTQ/s400/ribbon-twist-diamond-ring.jpg Would take a talented jeweler to get it right though.

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1310796536|2970252 said:
joshtaylor87|1310796146|2970250 said:
http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg Love this one. Would look great with a straight band... won't be perfectly flush but the gaps will be lovely. THIS IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE FROM YOUR SUGGESTIONS HOWEVER I'M NOT SURE WHERE THE BAND WOULD SIT? UNDER THE CURVED TOP ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE CENTRE STONE WILL BE RAISED TOO HIGH FOR OUR LIKING). OR DO THE BANDS GO ON TOP AND BELOW (OUTSIDE) OF THE CURVED ARMS (IN WHICH CASE THE WIDTH OF THE E-RING AND BANDS WILL BE GETTING WAY UP THERE AGAIN CAUSING THE SAME PROBLEM AS I'M HAVING WITH THE INFINITY RING FROM WH. DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS RING! IT IS QUITE DIFFERENT I would wear only one band below it, a nice 2mm pave band or one on each side, I've seen this ring with a straight band and it is stunning, the width is far less than the one you chose, it will work. Also it can be made so that the profile allows a flush fit band to slide next to it, if you want to know how, I think I can cobble together something to show you how

That would be great! If you can give me anything else to help me picture this setting with a band or 2 both straight and flush would be awesome. I'm a typical male and need pictures or drawings to fully understand something :tongue: I am extremely interested in this particular setting now!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Okay so... here's what I'd do... you have the top view. The are three "bands". One straight one. Then two swoopy arms. I would treat it just like a halo with the straight band as your main shank and the swoopy arms like a halo. The straight one is just a circle (no cathedral) and the two swoopy ones cathedral up and form a halo.

This is my halo that allows me to wear totally flush bands next to my ring:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/icp/DSCN0699_0.JPG']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/icp/DSCN0699_0.JPG[/URL]

So basically the supports under the halo (under your swoopy arms) would taper to a single point on the shank (and the shank is at least 2.2 mm off the finger in height where it meets that point) so she can wear a flush fit band against the 'shank" band and under the swoopy ones. The swoopy ones would be cathedral, and the straight one wouldn't be.

It would work, and she could do one band or two, one on either side.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/page-16']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/page-16[/URL] Look at the first ring (the one with the orange stone) it also has three swoopy arms, but in different colors. The setting you like is like that one. There is the main band (the white metal one) and then the swoopy ones (yellow gold bands here). Three bands. The center one is the one that would allow the flush fit.

Another option is a support like this under the swoopy arms, see this ring also allows for a totally flush fit as you can see from the pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/[/URL]

joshtaylor87

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1310798510|2970264 said:
Okay so... here's what I'd do... you have the top view. The are three "bands". One straight one. Then two swoopy arms. I would treat it just like a halo with the straight band as your main shank and the swoopy arms like a halo. The straight one is just a circle (no cathedral) and the two swoopy ones cathedral up and form a halo.

This is my halo that allows me to wear totally flush bands next to my ring:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/icp/DSCN0699_0.JPG']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/icp/DSCN0699_0.JPG[/URL]

So basically the supports under the halo (under your swoopy arms) would taper to a single point on the shank (and the shank is at least 2.2 mm off the finger in height where it meets that point) so she can wear a flush fit band against the 'shank" band and under the swoopy ones. The swoopy ones would be cathedral, and the straight one wouldn't be.

It would work, and she could do one band or two, one on either side.

Hmmm now see I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about this one too now :???: I really like the look of that original 3rd link you posted.
http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg
I like the way that the bands sort of criss cross each other and give it that never ending feel. Though with this particular style I think it would look silly without each band having a full eternity of diamonds. So not only have I added another platinum band to what I budgeted on for my original infinity WF setting. I've also added a lot more diamonds to the melee. I think this will blow my budget out of the water. As well as the fact that the way I like the e-ring (exactly as pictured above) it would be hard to have a flush fit band or two meaning with bands it's going to be getting quite wide again. If my centre stone is approx 6mm in diameter, the "swoopy" arms go out past this (as in the photo) so even if they extend past the centre stone by 1mm each side we're already at 8mm wide. Go and add a band or two and we're right back up near that 12mm mark again :(

What do you guys think of my original blue nile setting? It's shown here with the wedding band and we could do the same on the other side eventually for the eternity/anniversary band.
http://au.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_6969
It's just I know it's pave set but for some reason it looks different to the pave set in these rings that I really like
http://www.secretdiamond.com/blog/wp-content/images/unique_engagement_ring.jpg
&
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/infinity-diamond-engagement-ring-56.htm

I think i'm a little turned off by the blue nile one because it is kinda basic do yo think? Although basic can be good too though can't it? Too many options, i'm not good with decisions. I think I may be looking too hard at all this. My future fiance has said that she'll love any ring that I give her. (though I guess she says that but I'm sure she would love some more than others)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results