shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help a Diamond Virgin!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ValerieEcho

Rough_Rock
I have never had any experience in buying diamonds before. I am getting married in October 2003, and need to buy my engagement ring soon! My fiance has left this all up to me since I have an idea of what I want. Problem is we''re just starting out and have a budget of less than $2500, but I want a decent diamond. .85 or higher, G or H, good cut, si2, GIA graded. I''ve seen a few through these sites, but am scared of buying over the net. I live 3 hours away from NYC and am told to go there, but where exactly? Is it really THAT much cheaper there? I''m so confused about this. We can not afford to get ripped off, even a little. Any suggestions, ideas, anything will help! Thank you very much!
confused.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
valerie - since you are 3 hrs. away from NYC, perhaps you can try Rhino (www.goodoldgold.com). He has a B&M store. So, it'll be like you are buying local.

dimsummy

Rough_Rock
Get ready to get hit with the new 8.625% sales tax in New York City.

Your friends were probably referring to the Manhattan Diamond District in 47th Street & Fifth Avenue. There's also a district in lower Manhattan on Canal & Bowery Street (Chinatown area).

And yes, you will get ripped off if you are unprepared and uneducated about the 4 "C's". At least avoid the places with "greeters" at the door.

I had a good experience with 1 particular jeweler on 47th Street (as did my sister and brother-in-law ten years ago). We just went wedding band shopping there on Saturday and the place was crowded. Many out-of-towners from NJ, Boston, etc. The prices were reasonably good in comparision to other places, but you do have to "negotiate". They don't lower it that much.

Good luck.

ValerieEcho

Rough_Rock
Dimsummy, I don't suppose you could please let me in on this jewelers name and location. I'm seriously desperate. I can't sleep because I'm staying up nights looking on the net. I just don't know where to go. Is it safe to buy off the net? I could probably not have it GIA approved if I were to see it in person though.
sick.gif

Blessed

Rough_Rock
Good Morning Valerie! I know the scary feeling of buying a diamond on-line! If you want a trust-worthy person to help you with this, someone who is as interested in your diamond as you are, I can confidently recommend Martin Sheffield at USA Certed Diamonds. You will save money and get a better quality stone for the money!!! It is scary at first, but now that I've successfully purchased from USA Certed, I would have no qualms about buying another! (Tony Letros was also very helpful at USA Certed) Blessings on your hunt! Enjoy!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi if you are going to go to New York...I would recommend Jonathan at Good Old Gold...he is on the net and has a store...He is on Long Island...and worth the trip...

He has a site www.goodoldgold.com

I am about 3 hours away to and am going to go to him :)

appl.gif
diane

Congrats on the Wedding, best wishes

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Valerie!
wavey.gif

You have found the right place to Net shop for your diamond and ring!
appl.gif

Check out the Price Scope vendors by clicking on the link above. Compare return periods, exchanges/life-time upgrades, and other policies. Call or email several with the shape of cut you want, what you are trying to accomplish, and give them your price point. After you've talked to some, you'll find one you are most comfortable with that will find you a gorgeous diamond for your e-ring. They are all very reputable.

Do some local work yourself also. Get out and look at diamonds. Get a feel for the color grades, clarity, and cut. Find out what you like and what you don't like. You can easily find a 100% eye clean SI1, but SI2's are tricky. G and H are great colors, but if the cut is really really good, you can easily go I or even J. The better the CUT the whiter the diamond appears and visually larger too.

Good luck in your search!
1.gif

dimsummy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 9
6.gif
9:23 AM ValerieEcho wrote:

Dimsummy, I don't suppose you could please let me in on this jewelers name and location. I'm seriously desperate. I can't sleep because I'm staying up nights looking on the net. I just don't know where to go. Is it safe to buy off the net? I could probably not have it GIA approved if I were to see it in person though.
sick.gif

----------------

It was David S. Diamonds on 9 West 47th Street. They have a website at www.Davidsdiamonds.com . There's an inventory list on their website - remember that is their list price. (Also get their booklet through their website.) I can only vouch for my experience. They'll take some time to educate and show you diamonds (we didn't need it because we already shopped for months, but I saw them doing this with others). You may have to wait if it's crowded - they don't rush. The thing that I liked about them was that they never tried to make you buy with a "special price only now" - they offered to make a copy of the GIA specs and come back later.

Also - shop around other places while there just for comparison. (Note - many stores on 47th Street are closed on Saturday for Sabbath and have shorter hours on Sunday.)

We also looked at the Chinatown district and you can get a good price. But be prepared to negotiate very aggressively there. And they will push the poorer cut diamonds on you if you are not careful.

Unfortunately, business is hurting there with the economy, 9-11 recovery, and SARS scare - but that means that they will negotiate. I'd avoid the diamonds already in the setting. And most of the settings there are white or yellow gold. We just didn't likely how pushy how some of the sales people got. (Not all, but a few.) Definitely stick with GIA so you don;t get ripped off.

Yes - it could get stressful buying a ring...but it'll turn out fine. Good luck!

JoeB

Rough_Rock
Blessed:

I have the good fortune to be in the same city as Martin & Tony (Toronto) and actually called him up. It seems that most of his diamond suppliers are located in the states, but he did recommend a diamond dealer here in Toronto, and I worked closly with him.

The local guy had a diamond for me, and just to play it safe, I wanted a second opinion.. the diamond was sent to Tony's home, and I met him there. Tony was nice enough to sit with me for an hour and go over every detail of the diamond and explain to me the pluses and minuses of the stone..

really nice guy..

as long as you buy over the net with a credit card.. you're safe and you save a lot of taxes!!!

Spyder

Rough_Rock
Here are two diamonds you might consider. They have excellent cuts but sacrifice a bit in color and carat to meet your parameters:

J VS1 0.80ct

J VS2 0.82ct.

If you insist on G-H and 0.85ct, then you will probably have to sacrifice on cut. I think it's better to sacrifice color than cut, in my opinion, but everyone has their own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results