shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help--4 stones and Questions..? Thanks!!

hopefuldiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi,

So I'm trying to decide between 3 or 4 stones; two I've seen in person, and 2 are on WhiteFlash, which I've heard rave reviews for but won't be able to see in person.

My min requirements have been G color, si1 and most all the stones i've seriously considered have been Ex cut and put through the HCA tool to be 2 or less.

My confusion: I saw 2 GIA stones today, one
.83 EX Ex EX Si1 with a HCA of 1.7 Excellent. $4,720

The other GIA was a
.87 VG VG VG VS2 with HCA at 1.0 Excellent $4,760

Both jewelers (very reputable husband and wife) and I all seemed to prefer the VG VG VG VS2 looking at it in the store, it did seem more "sparkly" and also rated better on HCA. How is it possible that a GIA triple VG, would look better to 2 professionals and a customer, and have a better ACA score than a GIA triple EX?

How can this be explained? They said they thought the VS2 clarity was making the VG look better, but i thought an eye clean Si1 stone triple x would perform better than triple VG Vs1. Thoughts?

Secondly, size has been an issue for me. I have a great whiteflash stone that I'm considering, E color and ACA but only .71 which feels very small to me
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2145409.htm

Additionally there is http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2677732.htm -- this is .84 so larger but also almost 1,300 hundred more and lower color.

Finally, the triple VG is a (.87 VS2 G) is definitely bigger than the .71 (but with much?? lower cut grade than an ACA).

$5,000 would be the tip top of my expanded stone budget...but i really love the larger size.

If you have any thoughts/suggestions for what to do, i would really appreciate it! Ps. I really loved the idea of the E color in the smaller stone, but after seeing the .87 i feel like size and G and VS2 (even with the triple VG) might be better...Help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Expert Opinions Needed to Help me Choose--Thanks!!

Can you post the stats for the two GIA stones you saw?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Expert Opinions Needed to Help me Choose--Thanks!!

not all Ex cuts are created equal. It is possible that the VG cut has proportions that work nicely together. It is also possible that the diamonds were dirty, or that your eye was drawn more to one in the jewelry store spotlighting.

As Gypsy said, if you have the numbers on both stones, we can better advise you.

Did you notice a big difference with color? If so, was the difference important to you? Ultimately you have to decide what is most important to you, size or color.

hopefuldiamond

Rough_Rock
ok, so both of the stones i saw in person were G color. There is only 1 E and that is the .71 on whiteflash. here are the stats for the two stones i saw in person. I did my best to hide under the counter from the lights to look at the stones--but it is pretty difficult to get into "normal" lighting in those stores. Both stones are roughly $4,700 plus change--price between these 2 stones not a factor

Stone 1
GIA .87 ct
6.12 x 6.17 x 3.78 mm
G color
VS2 clarity
Triple VG
Table: 55
Depth: 61.6
Crown: 34
Pav: 40.8
thin to med girdle (3.5%)
no FL
Lower gird 80%
Stars 65%
no cutlet
HCA calculator: 1.0 Excellent

Stone 2
GIA .83
G color
Si1 clarity
Triple EX
Table: 57
Depth: 61.2
Crown: 35
Pav: 40.8
Med to slightly thick (faceted) girdle
no FL
Lower Gird: 75%
Stars: 50%
no cutlet
ACA= 1.7 Excellent

Hope this is illuminating!!! Thanks so much!

hopefuldiamond

Rough_Rock
Yes, I did notice that. Does that larger star of 65 have an adverse effect on the stone? Or can the 65% star ever be good for the stone but bad on paper?

Also would you all think a .84 Expert selection AGS000 from WF, which will be site unseen, should far out perform the larger VG .87 stone I saw in person? It is G color and Si1

WF Stone: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2677732.htm

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Some people say:

"All that matters is if you love it."
or
"All that matters is how it makes you feel."
"Trust your Eyes."

Actually, in this case, I'm particularly sympathetic to your .87

However, you're asking good questions, I think...

hopefuldiamond|1315579882|3013560 said:
Yes, I did notice that. Does that larger star of 65 have an adverse effect on the stone? Or can the 65% star ever be good for the stone but bad on paper?

I hope you get an answer, or direction.

Re the VG vs excellent...you'll see past threads comparing HCA to GIA scoring provide the basic justification and rationale.

Know also, under 2, one valuation is not better than another, generally.

Best,

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Star size is mainly facet patterning and you apparently prefer that type of patterning.

hopefuldiamond

Rough_Rock
So for $200 more (the tippity top of my budget) do you think getting the .84 stone AGS 000 site unseen is a better plan? So hard to know these things. I really liked the .87 a lot but wasn't doing somersaults or anything :)
It's sounds like anyone on here whose gotten an ACA has been doing those! This .84 is not an ACA, but with the triple000 can you assume it's going to be significantly more amazing than the GIA because of the AGS 000 cut?

(I know these questions are very difficult to answer but what would you do?)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, the WF AGS is $200 more or $1300 more?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results