shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give this first-timer some opinions on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Froof

Rough_Rock
I never thought shopping for a diamond would be so difficult! I''ve been looking for the "perfect" stone for the past couple of months, and thanks to this forum (and the wonderful staff at dirtcheapdiamonds.com), I think I might have found it! Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum--it really helps us newbies out.

I''m having a presale inspection of this stone done by an independent appraiser (Dave Atlas'' people), before making the final decision, and was hoping to also get some input from the community.

Here are the specs:

Shape & Style: Round Brilliant
Cert: AGS
Measurements: 8.04-8.08 x 4.91 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Carat Weight: 1.911
Fluorescence: Negligible
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 0.7-1.0

Depth: 60.9%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle : 35.5°
Crown %: 16.1
Pavillion Angle : 40.5°
Pavillion %: 42.6

Price: $18,363

What do you think? Please let me know if you need any more information. Also, the stone will be mounted in a Michael B Princess Ring (picture below). Do you think the G color is going to be apparent in the platinum ring?

Thanks in advance!

Microphoto.jpg

Froof

Rough_Rock
Here's the Idealscope image:

Froof Idealscope.jpg

Froof

Rough_Rock
Whoops...that didn't work right. Please see next post.

Froof

Rough_Rock
The H&A bottom view:

Froof HA.jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see the setting--post a pic if you can!

Froof

Rough_Rock
Finally, the ring (not with the above diamond):

MB Princess Ring.jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I hope my fiance-to-be will think the same, when I pop the question.
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
It all looks positively GORGEOUS. I love the shallower pavilion and steeper crown on that stone. It should be an absolute killer. And I'd have no worries about a G in platinum. You did great!!!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
she'll love it. im currently salivating over the setting. love that michael b.

when will you propose?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
First timer,

I just had to write and tell you that is a fabulous diamond. Congratulations.

Who will put the diamond together with the setting?

Froof

Rough_Rock
Thanks, quaeritur! I guess I'm just suffering from a bit of pre-purchase anxiety, especially since I haven't seen the stone in person, yet.

Reena, I love the setting, too! That's why I decided against an "inspired" setting, even though it'd save me some money. P-Day will be coming in September. I wanted to give myself enough time to plan everything out thoroughly.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Regular Guy. That was my question, too, when I thought about ordering the ring online. I've since decided to buy the ring at a local jeweler. That way, I'll have someone to mount the diamond, repair the ring should any of the side diamonds come loose, and clean it for me, without having to send the ring out.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
That mounting is stunning~!
appl.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Froof
Is this being purchase as a H&A stone ?

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
My e-ring is a G in a platinum ring and it looks great. I think you will be getting a beautiful ring.
21.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Love, love, love it ~
I find myself inspired!

Froof

Rough_Rock
vtigger86: It isn't being sold as a H&A stone, but this is what the description states:

"These diamonds exhibit a strong "Hearts & Arrows" pattern when viewed through the complimentary Hearts and Arrow viewer that will be included with your order."

Is the price too high for such a stone?

To everyone else, thanks for the positive feedback. As long as I don't get back a negative appraisal, this is going to be "the one".
9.gif

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
I'm skeptical of the distinction between true hearts and arrows, and a hearts and arrows pattern. You can't see H&A with the naked eye (except at maybe an exact angle, under very specific lighting conditions.. an even still you only see the arrows).

I'm very skeptical of how a perfect H&A diamond reflects any more light than an almost perfect H&A diamond. I can understand if maybe the diamond has crooked, poorly shaped arrows and distorted hearts... But some people are just way too picky about it. If the hearts have a tiny crease pertruding into the center, they say "it's not true hearts and arrows". That seems a tad bit over obsessive to me. Or if one of the arrow heads isn't perfect, once again they say it's not true hearts and arrows. I say that at that point it becomes a marketing gimmick... nothing more. I doubt such minute differences effect the look or performance of the diamond one iota.

Unless of course someone has information to indicate otherwise...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Should be a lovely stone by the numbers. Nice combination of size & quality.

Froof

Rough_Rock
I just got the AGA-CERT, and it almost perfectly matches the AGS certificate (not that I had any doubts). So, tomorrow is decision day. Any last words before I hit the "wire" button?
eek.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/21/2004 11:43:32 AM nicknomo wrote:

I'm skeptical of the distinction between true hearts and arrows, and a hearts and arrows pattern. You can't see H&A with the naked eye (except at maybe an exact angle, under very specific lighting conditions.. an even still you only see the arrows).

I'm very skeptical of how a perfect H&A diamond reflects any more light than an almost perfect H&A diamond. I can understand if maybe the diamond has crooked, poorly shaped arrows and distorted hearts... But some people are just way too picky about it. If the hearts have a tiny crease pertruding into the center, they say 'it's not true hearts and arrows'. That seems a tad bit over obsessive to me. Or if one of the arrow heads isn't perfect, once again they say it's not true hearts and arrows. I say that at that point it becomes a marketing gimmick... nothing more. I doubt such minute differences effect the look or performance of the diamond one iota.

Unless of course someone has information to indicate otherwise...

----------------

nicknomo,

nothing wrong with non H&A stones as long as you don't pay the H&A premium.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I say hit the wire button. It probably would not be classified by many as H&A, but I think it will look nice and the price seems good.

What did Chris say about the visual performance? You may wish to have a short call with him to get his opinion just as a last check.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/21/2004 5:49:01 PM Froof wrote:

I just got the AGA-CERT, and it almost perfectly matches the AGS certificate (not that I had any doubts). So, tomorrow is decision day. Any last words before I hit the 'wire' button?
eek.gif
----------------

Froof
ask chris at AGA a lot of questions,he also did my appraisel...ask him what will it cost him to buy this stone ,then you will have good idea what is the real value of the stone.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I vote with the rest, talk to whoever did your appraisal for details, and if it all sounds good, push that button! I think this stone looks gorgeous, for whatever that's worth!
1.gif

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
vtigger:

I know nothing is wrong with non -H&A stones, however I was wondering what the actual benefit is of having a "true" H&A stone as opposed to an almost H&A stone?

Really, what's the difference between this stone in this thread, and a true H&A stone.. performance and/or beauty wise? I gander that the only difference is H&A bragging rights....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/22/2004 1:22:24 AM nicknomo wrote:

vtigger:

I know nothing is wrong with non -H&A stones, however I was wondering what the actual benefit is of having a 'true' H&A stone as opposed to an almost H&A stone?

Really, what's the difference between this stone in this thread, and a true H&A stone.. performance and/or beauty wise? I gander that the only difference is H&A bragging rights....

----------------

nicknomo,
i guess the biggest difference is it shows the cutter makes the extra effort and took more time (detailing the stone)to make it into a H&A .like Rolls Royce, and Bentley's, they want to make sure all the wood panels match inside the interior.

Froof

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I gave Chris a call and bombarded him with my questions. He told me that he personally thought the stone could be a VS1 and that the color was near the F/G boundary!
1.gif
Now I am thoroughly happy and ready to finish the purchase. By the way, I highly recommend DCD and AGA! The people at both have been great!

All I have to do, now, is wait 4-6 weeks for the Michael B ring to come in, and then I'll be all set! If anyone is interested, I'll tell you all about the proposal in a couple of months (just in case she is a reader on this board). It is somewhat elaborate, and I think is going to be great!
appl.gif

Thanks everyone!

Froof

Rough_Rock
vtigger: Wood panals are highly overrated! I love the plasti-wood panels in my Jeep!
tongue.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
AWESOME!!! it doesn't get better than that. Well done!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

[edited to add] PS. Yes, PLEASE do come back and give us all the details!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results