shape
carat
color
clarity

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS DIAMOND...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
I went to look at this diamond yesterday and it's really nice! I had them hold it for me...My friend is a manager at the J Store called Barmakian in Boston
and although I trust him, I would like some other opinions before I take the plunge..This diamond will go in a 3 stone setting for a TCW of 2.04 CT.

What do you think? I know the table is kinda high, but I've been doing a lot of reading and it falls in the acceptable range and looks very good...

Diamond, $5,500.
Shape and cutting Style..ROUND BRILLIANT
Measuements....6.96-6.99 x 402mm
weight......1.17 carat

Proportions

Depth.......57.6%
Table.......60%
Girdle......Thin to medium faceted
Culet.......none

Finish

Polish.....Very Good
Symmetry....Very Good
Clarity Grade.....VS2
COLOR Grade.......H
Fluorescence.....none

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The main problem of this stone is not the table (which is well within accepted parameters for an excellent to very good make), but the depth. It's a bit shallow. Can you get a Sarin? I would make sure if the pavilion is shallow. If it's so, it could be a problem.
1.gif

jcard71

Rough_Rock
How could the depth be a problem?

Thanks for you reply...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
A diamond's cut is the most important indicator of how it will look . . . a poorly cut stone can look like a dull piece of glass.

Usually, stones with the right combination of angles have depths somewhere in the 59-62% range. However, to figure out if your stone's angles are "working" you need a Sarin analysis. The jeweler may be able to do one for you right there. Then you should post the angles for us so we can give you more information.

Also, is the stone certified?

This site will give you some info on cut proportions.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's GIA certified...I thought I couldn't get the crown and Pavilion
from GIA?

That site says 58-63 for depth...I'm at 57.6, is that a big difference?
Also, my GF told me she doesn't like a diamond that site up high on a ring?
Will depth be okay if that's her liking?

I'm calling for the sarin report...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/7/2004 9:03:02 AM jcard71 wrote:

How could the depth be a problem?
----------------

The depth is smaller than one would expect.
In consequence, this diamond looks big for it's weight (has a bigger diameter), but has great chances to let quite bit of light pass through and look "glassy" compared to what a diamond cut to acheiev best optical effect produces. The difference in such "light return" may not be a disaster, but chances are that it is significant. If not, this is the best buy of the century! There is an easu way to tell wether this stone looks good not only by itself, but also "by diamond standards" (compared to what can be achieved at best). Is there any store carying HOF or, even better, Eight Star diamonds near you? get to see one of those premium cuts and if the stone you have rezerved holds it's own against them, you're in luck!

There's at least one other ring with such specs here (Mara's), but that's the ONLY! Shallow stones with great optics are not very often found, this is why yours would be such a lucky find...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
If your girlfriend doesn't like a diamond that sits up high on a ring, then you should think about the setting, not the overall depth. Instead of a setting where the prongs stick straight up from the band and hold the diamond almost in the air above it, you can get a setting that rises up to meet the diamond so that it doesn't appear so high. An example would be the Vatche X prong.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
What if I can't get the sarin report? Should I look at other diamonds?
Or should I not let this "potential" good diamond get away?

Thanks agin for your help!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Ask the jeweler if they have an idealscope to view the diamond with. You can read about the idealscope on the link above. You could order one, but you probably don't have that long of a hold period.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Since you have doubts, I would at least make sure that there is a solid, no questions asked return policy in case you change your mind about the stone after having it independently appraised.

I wouldn't buy the stone just for the chance that it might be a good performer at a good price. However, it is a balancing act of all the things that are important to you -- you might not have to have the perfect cut. One plus of you diamond is the "spread" -- it looks more like a 1.25 carat diamond.

Have you looked at stones with "hearts and arrows"? These are generally very well cut stones, and you can decide for yourself if your stone appeals to you just as much cut-wise.

If you decide that the best cut is important, then you will have to make some adjustments -- you can't get a super-ideal 1.17 H VS2 for $5500. You'll need to drop size, color, and/or clarity, or increase your budget.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/7/2004 9:41:08 AM jcard71 wrote:

What if I can't get the sarin report? Should I look at other diamonds?
Or should I not let this 'potential' good diamond get away?

----------------
Look at other diamonds on the way to this one, hands down.

Do't let go of the thing! This could be great
9.gif
If cut is important to you (up until now it sounds like it is), can you get an Iscope and use it on the stone? This may not be fast nough, but, practically, you should be able to pass by a store selling those overpriced branded cuts on the way to where your stone is, and get an idea. If the stone you want is meant to look great (as oposed to getting good grades on paper) than you do not need more precision than your own educated opinion. Seeing one or two top cuts is all you need to make a decision: you can't miss too much by doing so.

All the finery about harts, arrows and angles are ment to help people choose among diamonds they do not have at hand (not your case) and help buyers evaluate one stone without seing more (which you can compensate for, as noted above).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
J..just PM'd you a response. If you can't get a Sarin and have seen the stone and like it, the price point IS good. So you may be happy with it. But as I noted in my PM...a possible tradeoff for a white brilliant type shallow stone like this is less fire. But you do have the advantage of having seen the stone. So if it looks great to you..the price is good.

One other comment is that if this is a 3 stone ring, you will most likely notice a difference in the 3 stones unless they are all cut similarly. When I put my more well-cut (read more ideal) earrings next to my e-ring stone, there IS a difference if you look down into each stone, they look different, in terms of how they return light and the 'cut glass' look. So your 3 stone ring may not match unless you get same type stones for all 3...depending on how big the side stones are that is.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Mara for your help...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results