shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your opinions on these tourmalines

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marquiselover

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I would like to get a solitare pendant made using a pink tourmaline. I have listed some possible choices that I found on GemSelect''s website. What do you guys think, do any of them look like good candidates?
1.gif

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-228169.php

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-220144.php

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-212091.php

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-146155.php

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-224832.php

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-227670.php

Thanks!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Out of those listed, I like the 1.7 carat rose pink one. All the other look to be cut really shallow and therefor they''ll probably have a window.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Either 1.65, 1.7 or 2.02. I personally like larger facets so would probably go with a 1.65, but it all depends on your preferences. The rest are either too pale, or with obvious windows.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All except 2 are very shallow and will most likely have a window of varying size, depending on the stone. Colour-wise, many are too light or have a gray modifier. I would not pick any.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They might be treated, do you mind that? I personally do not trust Thai sellers to fully disclose treatments, and I would insist on a lab report if treatment were an issue. Otherwise, I would check precisiongem.com out. I think he has some nice pink tourmalines right now. Barry of acstones.com as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
The colour looks quite dull and grayish so maybe they aren''t treated? Plus, the stones are so inexpensive that going for a lab report might not be worth it. You are correct though that my vendor preference would be someone else and not Gemselect.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 8:33:54 AM
Author: Chrono
TL,
The colour looks quite dull and grayish so maybe they aren''t treated? Plus, the stones are so inexpensive that going for a lab report might not be worth it. You are correct though that my vendor preference would be someone else and not Gemselect.
Yes, I agree that I wouldn''t go for a lab report in this case because the stones are so inexpensive. However, treatment bugs me, so if it were me, I would probably go to a reliable seller that has pink tourmaline that he/she knows is not treated. If you don''t care about treatment, that''s fine as well, but I thought I''d put that info out there just in case. I think dull and greyish pink tourmalines can be treated as well, I have to ask some experts on the subject.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, any pink tourmaline could well be treated today although those that I’ve seen are a gorgeous shocking pink.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Dyer told me this about treated pink tourmalines.

You cannot judge based upon the final color, different material treats in different ways. Light, dark, bright, brownish, all COULD be treated or could not be.

The best way of dealing with this that I know of is to know your supply chain.

Treatment is usually either heat or irradiation or both. Usually very stable though if that is any comfort.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 10:44:05 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

You cannot judge based upon the final color, different material treats in different ways. Light, dark, bright, brownish, all COULD be treated or could not be.

Treatment is usually either heat or irradiation or both. Usually very stable though if that is any comfort.

How can we as consumers know that the supply chain is unbroken from mine to our hand? The only way I know of is to mine the material in person. Then again if a cutter does mine it he knows it is untreated but as soon as it is sold how does the person buying know other than trust alone? With no lab reports able to confirm lack of treatment it would seem to me the best action is assume all is treated. As it can not be proven one way or another. For me this is one paradox I will stay clear of until the issue is settled.

Trust but verifiy

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 11:23:37 AM
Author: colormyworld

Date: 7/3/2009 10:44:05 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

How can we as consumers know that the supply chain is unbroken from mine to our hand? The only way I know of is to mine the material in person. Then again if a cutter does mine it he knows it is untreated but as soon as it is sold how does the person buying know other than trust alone? With no lab reports able to confirm lack of treatment it would seem to me the best action is assume all is treated. As it can not be proven one way or another. For me this is one paradox I will stay clear of until the issue is settled.

Trust but verifiy
True, until they can prove with a lab report that the pink tourmaline has been untreated, I think I will also steer clear of pink tourmaline.

marquiselover

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all that replied. I think I will continue my search and check out some other gem websites mentioned here on PScope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results