Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me your impressions of this Ideal Scope

redmess

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
37
I am looking at this diamond and would love to hear your impressions of the Idealscope. It looks good to me but I am only a novice. It has twinning wisps and I asked what they thought about the durability and they responded "that this diamond has low relief inclusions that pose no durability concern and are very difficult to see with the unaided eye. The gemologist feels that you will likely view this diamond as eye clean. Additionally, this diamond has nice light performance which can be seen in its beautiful idealscope image." I was little afraid of the statement "The gemologist feels that you will likely view this diamond as eye clean." Does this mean that it is marginally eye clean? I was told that their policy for eye clean is 6 inches. Thank you in adavance for your input.

ideal scope.JPG
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
IS looks good. did you ask at from what distance the diamond is eye-clean?

also, you can get it shipped out to you...I believe the vendor in question has a really great return policy!
 

redmess

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
37
The person I spoke to on the phone said 6 inches but their website states 8 to 10 inches.

They do have a good return policy but I don't want to waste their time or mine if it is marginally eye clean.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I think that is part of the issue with buying SI clarity diamonds...you don't really know if they are eye-clean or not until you see them in person. It really depends on what your definition of eye-clean is. It sounds like there is a good chance of this diamond being eye-clean but of course you will not know until you see it in person. If it is eye-clean from 6" that sounds pretty good to me. Is this for a ring?
 

redmess

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
37
slg47|1305570754|2923212 said:
I think that is part of the issue with buying SI clarity diamonds...you don't really know if they are eye-clean or not until you see them in person. It really depends on what your definition of eye-clean is. It sounds like there is a good chance of this diamond being eye-clean but of course you will not know until you see it in person. If it is eye-clean from 6" that sounds pretty good to me. Is this for a ring?

It will be for a pendant. Also what is meant by low relief inclusions? Does this mean that they are deep in the stone?
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
21,128
redmess|1305571085|2923218 said:
It will be for a pendant. Also what is meant by low relief inclusions? Does this mean that they are deep in the stone?



James Allen Schultz|1274970403|2590549 said:
Date: 5/27/2010 8:41:21 AM

Per the training a graduate gemologist receives from GIA, there are five major factors to consider when assessing clarity:

1-size
2-number
3-position
4-nature
5-color/relief

To further elaborate on point number five…
You are to determine how the ‘characteristic/inclusion’ contrasts with the surrounding diamond.
The degree to which it ‘contrasts’ will affect the clarity of the diamond.
A colored and/or opaque inclusion tends to standout, be obvious or in other words is high relief.
A light colored and/or transparent inclusion tends to blend with the stone, be less obvious or in other words are low relief.

So when we (our gemologists) state an inclusion is "low relief" we are stating that it blends well with the diamond, and when we state that an inclusion is "high relief" that the inclusion is very obvious and does not blend well with the diamond. Whether or not the diamond is eye-clean, however, is a completely separate matter and will be determined using the guidelines we published here on Pricescope.

Hope this helps.
 

redmess

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
37
Yssie|1305571480|2923222 said:
redmess|1305571085|2923218 said:
It will be for a pendant. Also what is meant by low relief inclusions? Does this mean that they are deep in the stone?



James Allen Schultz|1274970403|2590549 said:
Date: 5/27/2010 8:41:21 AM

Per the training a graduate gemologist receives from GIA, there are five major factors to consider when assessing clarity:

1-size
2-number
3-position
4-nature
5-color/relief

To further elaborate on point number five…
You are to determine how the ‘characteristic/inclusion’ contrasts with the surrounding diamond.
The degree to which it ‘contrasts’ will affect the clarity of the diamond.
A colored and/or opaque inclusion tends to standout, be obvious or in other words is high relief.
A light colored and/or transparent inclusion tends to blend with the stone, be less obvious or in other words are low relief.

So when we (our gemologists) state an inclusion is "low relief" we are stating that it blends well with the diamond, and when we state that an inclusion is "high relief" that the inclusion is very obvious and does not blend well with the diamond. Whether or not the diamond is eye-clean, however, is a completely separate matter and will be determined using the guidelines we published here on Pricescope.

Hope this helps.
Thank you greatly. That perfectly explains my question. What is your opinion of the IS?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
ok, well I think it would be a great choice for a pendant stone-most people don't examine their pendants at 6" (and it may be perfectly eye-clean from that distance anyway!)
 

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
509
slg47|1305572881|2923243 said:
ok, well I think it would be a great choice for a pendant stone-most people don't examine their pendants at 6" (and it may be perfectly eye-clean from that distance anyway!)
I agree with slg47. I have an SI1 clarity pendant and I consider it marginally eye clean. I don't think anyone can examine your stone at 6 inches when it's a pendant... unless you are thinking of possbily re-setting it in a ring down the road.
 

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
84
slg47|1305570754|2923212 said:
I think that is part of the issue with buying SI clarity diamonds...you don't really know if they are eye-clean or not until you see them in person. It really depends on what your definition of eye-clean is. It sounds like there is a good chance of this diamond being eye-clean but of course you will not know until you see it in person. If it is eye-clean from 6" that sounds pretty good to me. Is this for a ring?
Ditto! Now that we know that this is for a pendant however, I would guess that you will be satisfied with it!
 

redmess

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
37
Luminous-MB|1305575268|2923289 said:
slg47|1305570754|2923212 said:
I think that is part of the issue with buying SI clarity diamonds...you don't really know if they are eye-clean or not until you see them in person. It really depends on what your definition of eye-clean is. It sounds like there is a good chance of this diamond being eye-clean but of course you will not know until you see it in person. If it is eye-clean from 6" that sounds pretty good to me. Is this for a ring?
Ditto! Now that we know that this is for a pendant however, I would guess that you will be satisfied with it!
The only thing is that maybe in the future she might want to convert it to a ring or earrings. That is my hesitation.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
21,128
slg47|1305572881|2923243 said:
ok, well I think it would be a great choice for a pendant stone-most people don't examine their pendants at 6" (and it may be perfectly eye-clean from that distance anyway!)

Ditto :) looks like a nice pendant stone. Also fine for an earring - for a ring you likely want to double check what distance it's eyeclean from (have it shipped out to inspect in-person, as only your eyes can truly judge this) as rings tend to get closer scrutiny.
 

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
84
redmess|1305575421|2923291 said:
Luminous-MB|1305575268|2923289 said:
slg47|1305570754|2923212 said:
I think that is part of the issue with buying SI clarity diamonds...you don't really know if they are eye-clean or not until you see them in person. It really depends on what your definition of eye-clean is. It sounds like there is a good chance of this diamond being eye-clean but of course you will not know until you see it in person. If it is eye-clean from 6" that sounds pretty good to me. Is this for a ring?
Ditto! Now that we know that this is for a pendant however, I would guess that you will be satisfied with it!
The only thing is that maybe in the future she might want to convert it to a ring or earrings. That is my hesitation.
In this case, you will have to look at it in person in order to determine your eagle-eye sensitivity! It sounds like it is eye-clean - but this term is so personal and so broad that what is eye-clean to one, may not be eye-clean to another! If you love everything else about this diamond and the price is right, try it out, you won't be wasting anyone's time - this is part of the process.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?
    What is Diamond Color?
    What is Diamond Color?
    Scorpio Style
    Scorpio Style

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top