shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me opinions of red spinels for earrings.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to settle on a pair of rubies or red spinels for earrings. I want them to compliment my ruby ring. I've given up on a perfect match. These stones are a good size and the price was great. Please give me your opinions on these stones. Imagine my fat head separating them. :lol:

img_0500.jpg

img_0503.jpg

img_0504.jpg

img_207.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

img_0506.jpg

img_0507.jpg

img_0508.jpg

img_208.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

img_0510.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are close enough. There''s the distance between your hand and your ears, then the distance between both ears.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Given that the price ( and I know you mentioned you had a certain budget in mind) was good and I know you are not looking for a 100% match pantone type of match :) I say yes those go nicely with your ring as far as color. And they are definitely a very pretty red. I see that they are not exactly the same cut but as you said your face is going to be between them.Teeny bit of extinction on one but in my opinion no biggy. These are nice, and red stones are hard to find. I give them a thumbs up for earring stones!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The difference in shape bothers me a little. What kind of setting are you thinking of? Some designs may downplay this, others highlight it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think the size/shape difference could be minimized with the right setting, but the darkness in the one stone cannot - will that bug you?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wondered about the extinction shown in the one stone, but that is a static picture. I'm planning on having them in a bezel with the backs open. I'll attach a similar design to what I want. Overall, the brightness and sparkle are want I want to be prominent.

_1350.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just have to say that your ruby ring takes my breath away every time I see it. Really gorgeous!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
derbygal|1350416733|3286491 said:
Just have to say that your ruby ring takes my breath away every time I see it. Really gorgeous!
Totally agree.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think the colors look good together.

I am only concerned about the difference in shape because of the setting you chose. Can the bezels be made to make the shapes more similar, or do the bezels have to fit the outline exactly? If you were putting them in a prong setting with a halo, I could see how the differences could be masked.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
And me! (re your ring - pregcurious wasn't there when I wrote it :)) )

I think the colour is a good match but the design - which I love! - might highlight the difference in the shape even though your head's in between. What do you think?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
In a couple of the photos, the stones look way off, but in a couple of the photos they look somewhat close. Have you tried holding each one up to your ear and looking in the mirror in a well lit bathroom? I do agree that bezeling them might show off the difference in size more than a setting that doesn't surround the stones in gold.

I KNOW it's hard to find two matching stones AND that you got a good deal, but if they don't "grab you" then you should pass and wait until that perfect pair comes along.... I know.... easy for me to say - lol...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
colorluvr|1350425014|3286575 said:
In a couple of the photos, the stones look way off, but in a couple of the photos they look somewhat close. Have you tried holding each one up to your ear and looking in the mirror in a well lit bathroom? I do agree that bezeling them might show off the difference in size more than a setting that doesn't surround the stones in gold.

I KNOW it's hard to find two matching stones AND that you got a good deal, but if they don't "grab you" then you should pass and wait until that perfect pair comes along.... I know.... easy for me to say - lol...
:shock: I cannot even imagine how to accomplish this!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:idea: Any Blutack on hand?

Make a bezel - or encase the stone I think might be easier - then see if you can find a pair of earwires that you can also shove into the top of the Blutack. Voila!

Please stand on a bathmat or towel while doing this (unless your bathroom is carpeted) and then take pictures!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
....and put the plug in the washbasin!! :shock:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven't got ear wires that will do the job, try sterilizing a pair of paperclips bent into submission.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
:lol: That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever tried!! :lol: I scotch taped them just under my earlobes. I'm so glad no one else was in the house to see me. The crazy things Pricescope drives us to!!!

The size and color seem to be just fine. They only concern I have, and please don't kill me, is they seem too sparkly to be rubies. I want them to be daily wear, and I don't want them too blingy.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you said the brightness and sparkle are what you want to be most prominent? Just throw some fingerprints on them, maybe that'll kill some of the sparkle. ;-) :lol:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I think they look great - gorgeous color!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1350437817|3286764 said:
:lol: That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever tried!! :lol: I scotch taped them just under my earlobes. I'm so glad no one else was in the house to see me. The crazy things Pricescope drives us to!!!

Yeah. So where are the pictures :bigsmile:

The size and color seem to be just fine. They only concern I have, and please don't kill me, is they seem too sparkly to be rubies. I want them to be daily wear, and I don't want them too blingy.

You were in the bathroom with the lights on right?

Well turn the lights off!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB|1350438226|3286767 said:
I thought you said the brightness and sparkle are what you want to be most prominent? Just throw some fingerprints on them, maybe that'll kill some of the sparkle. ;-) :lol:
Sheesh! You'd think that I mean what I say, and that I say what I mean. :wacko: I do want nice color and stones that aren't dead looking. I guess these are just sooo blingy, I'm worried they'll look over the top.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice choice. Beautiful red stones. I'm a red lover, and those would be keepers for me. The slight difference in shape won't be noticed with your head in between and with all of the movement you make during the day. Perhaps the jeweler can use the bezel to make them look more alike.

Please post the final earrings once you have them made up. I'm wondering if I should put a pair of these onto my wish list. :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wide bezel will dampen the sparkle a little and don't worry, your hair will also block out some light and that will turn the sparkle factor down too. Is the shape symmetrical enough to be bezeled without looking off? Are the shapes well matched enough to be bezeled and still look like a pair?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think they'd be too blingy, and they'd be less so than the pair you sold.

You've had them a few days, and tried a few "experiments" - any different feelings from when you first got them? They look like a nice match for the ruby (I imagine more so once set), so the question is what Chrono asked - are they a nice match for each other IRL?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
They are both a very balanced oval shape. Bezeling would look nice, in my opnion. The only time you would tell they aren't an actual match is when holding them side by side. I'm going to live with them a while. I don't think I'd find anything prettier in this size without doubling the price. Thanks ladies!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
When I fly out to see you for a surprise visit, I am going to point and laugh and ridicule you for have beautiful red earrings that are too blingy.... yep, that's what I am going to do. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Are you laughing at me?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1350498283|3287173 said:
Are you laughing at me?

Always with you, never at you..... well, maybe once in a while... :rolleyes:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
colorluvr|1350499481|3287183 said:
Upgradable|1350498283|3287173 said:
Are you laughing at me?

Always with you, never at you..... well, maybe once in a while... :rolleyes:

Seriously, my guess is that you will have on your ruby ring (either one or both) when you wear these as earrings.... do you really think someone is going to notice that your earrings are too blingy???? Especially if you have your gorgeous halo on?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results