shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give feedback on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

engagement

Rough_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2601/

I have spent several weeks learning about diamonds, searching the web for the right diamond for an engagement ring, and this one has stood out for me. I looked at the Helium report, used the HCA, looked carefully at the Idealscope images, Gemex...and I am ready to have it appraised and then purchase. I would like the opinion of the experts on this forum. Please comment in detail.

Thank you,

Michael

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not an expert, but here''s my opinion.

I think the proportions of this diamond are beautiful and it should be an excellent performer. The IS images look great. No problems here, the rest boils down to "preferences"...

Is there a specific reason you picked such a high clarity diamond? I think a VVS1 is clarity overkill unless you are buying a diamond for purity sake or some other reason you want a very high clarity diamond. An eye-clean SI will look pretty much the same visually assuming it is well-cut as well. You could save money or go bigger if you drop in clarity, and you could drop in color as well if you wanted to as well. Besides these critiques, I think the diamond is great, and these are just preferences. If you want a high color/clarity diamond, then this is a great one!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS.

I am not an expert either, most of us aren''t - just knowledgeable enthusiasts hopefully! If you want one of the real experts who are in the industry, maybe one will chime in and advise you with a little time. You will find that those of us who aren''t in the industry and aren''t experts are careful to make this clear to new posters, especially where an expert opinion is requested. That being said, in my non expert opinion, I agree with Koursie and everything she said, if you want a very high clarity diamond with good colour, this could be a great one!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No expert here either.

My thoughts are, it looks like an outstanding stone. It''s also a rather rare size, and I happen to have a 1.4 myself. They don''t come along very often, and look as good as this one does.

While I agree the clarity is a bit overkill, I kinda look at it differently. I just said this to someone yesterday. I was looking for a 1.4-1.49. I knew I was in for a challenge to find a great stone in that size. I got really lucky, and found one from GOG. It was a G VS1, higher clarity than I wanted but, everything else was great. This was an upgrade, and the only one.

So I bought it, because it''s really hard to get all the stars to line up right (by the purchasers preferences) in searching for a diamond to begin with, and it was worth it to me. I didn''t want to let it go. And I''m SO glad I didn''t!

The thing is, you can get lower clarity easily, but not that size. So I say go for it.

engagement

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your response.

THe diamond will go in a platinum setting so a G or H is as low in color as I want to go. The clarity, I am willing to sacrifice, but with this stone the Gemex images, symmetry, HCA and a price <1.5 CT stones but near a 1.5Ct size and great cut have been the trade-off to accept the higher clarity premium.

engagement

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input and comments. Overall this diamond has stood out for me and I have been unable to find a n equal. It is pretty hard to search for a diamond anywhere else but GOG, since they provide an immense amount of detail on their stones. This stones Gemex is very appealing. The girlfriend pointed out that she see''s hearts in the first Gemex image, the images have what I think is good illuminated symmetry, I want a stone that is under 1.5 CT but close to it. I would accept a lower clarity diamond but I can not find another that matches the "performance" that this has. IF any of you know of another site that provides as much info as GOG does please let me know. I have contacted GOG to have it appraised and I wll have a chance to see it then as well. IT has been a huge learning experience, but an enjoyable one that I share with all of you!

BEst Regards!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look on the vendor''s page you will see a list, many of these guys provide a ton of cut quality info, but this is a smashing diamond you have picked, GOG and Jon are a great vendor and you can trust his opinion, so maybe you have found the one!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2006 2:21:34 AM
Author: engagement
Thank you for your response.

THe diamond will go in a platinum setting so a G or H is as low in color as I want to go. The clarity, I am willing to sacrifice, but with this stone the Gemex images, symmetry, HCA and a price <1.5 CT stones but near a 1.5Ct size and great cut have been the trade-off to accept the higher clarity premium.
Yes, that''s exactly how I looked at my stone as well.

You can find vendors that provide a varying amount of info, but no one gives more than Jon does. And I agree with Lorelei, I think you''ve found the one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results