shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain this - Price Stat (Inconsistency)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Using Price Stats, I chose "cut" as the criteria selecting "H&A". From the results, I look under "0.5-0.69 cts H&A cut Round: Average $/carat"

As of this minute, 10
6.gif
9 pm EST, there''s a match under D/IF for "7844".
If I click on this, it presents me with 2 diamonds from Abazias. Selecting these 2 diamonds, I get stock # 1316461 and # 1316460. Now, I would assume these are 0.66 ct H&A D IF.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316461&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316460&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

Now, if I go to the Abazias site directly looking for just for H&A using this link:

http://www.abazias.com/scinfo.htm

Entering D and IF bet. 0.6 to 0.7 ct, I do not find anything.
Now, if I use the regular search,

http://www.abazias.com/home.htm

using the same criteria, admist all the matching ones, I find the 2 diamonds listed as being H&A using the Price Scan tool.

I''m not trying to imply anything here but this is what makes me leary from buying from online vendors as opposed to a store. I know I can get it independently appraised which I probably will.

But can anyone explain the discrepancies?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jlim~

One explanation could be the Abazias segregates H&A's from "regular" stock. White Flash's website works that way. If you search under Round shape, the H&A's don't show. If you search H&A, the other Rounds don't come up. Just a thought as to how the website search engine was set up.
rolleyes.gif
1.gif

Well,.... I reread your post and see that my answer was off base. Still could have to do with how the website was set up though.
confused.gif

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
We bought from Abazias and had absolutely no problems at all - very honest and accomodating. I would not judge them on the way in which their database sorts diamonds. I believe because the one you are looking at sorts ONLY Superbcert hearts and arrows - the stones you are looking at are not SuperbCert.

Check out the following thread, which explains the difference:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic2033.html

Just my thoughts on this, I may be wrong, but I for one had a much better experience internet shopping that B and M shopping - I felt as if the B and M stores we went to were, well, "less honest" and not nearly as accomodating...

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Let me let you in on a little secret ~ People posts lists of diamonds and don't own any of them. I got bad mouthed because I
called some of the big diamond dealers on Dia ~Talk pajama diamond salesman. Some of these places don't have a store front
just a computer in the bedroom.

*The prices on the internet are not the bottom dollar
*The consumer is looking at price lists, the internet company does not have, but has access to. (heck I found some of my
diamonds that I purchased on the list ?)
*Do your research there are legitimate company's out there on the the internet.
*Dont let the numbers drive you nuts, in the real world you cant tell the difference except in your wallet.
*Sending your money to a place that can pick up and be gone in an hour is scary.
*Try working with a local store first.
*The internet is not the bottom dollar. I had to laugh when a customer thought he found a great deal on Mondera and brought
the mounting in for me to set the diamond he purchased from me into the ring from Mondera. He thought buying off the internet
was bottom dollar, it was not.

* do your homework if you plan to buy from somebody off the internet that my be your next door neighbor.
*use the internet for a learning tool and not the only source to buy.

Abazias

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am so sorry for the confusion. Abazias has two search engines and first, you accessed the Superbcert Hearts and Arrows search engine and only the brand name Superbcert diamonds are represented. On the home page, we have a general search engine and all the diamonds in our database will be listed. The diamonds you inquired about are true Hearts and Arrows but are not a brand name diamond. If you have been looking at a particular diamond and have the stock number, you can search by the stock number on the home page. Thank you for bring this point to our attention so we can distinguish the two search engines better on our front page.

Thanks,
Felicia

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for clarifying Gatorock/Felicia.

I've just come to know that there's *brandname* H&A and non-brand name H&A. Your explanation makes sense. The search on your site for H&A only shows brandname H&A but pricescope actually found your non-brandname H&A which obviously is not found under your brandname H&A.

So, now I've to ask the vendors I'm talking to if their diamonds are *brandname* H&A.

So, it is safe to assume the *brandname* are like "Superbcert" from superbcert.com and "A Cut Above" from whiteflash then?

So, it is similar to say bluenile, ideal cut compared to their signature cut then.

What if a vendor imposes the same standard as both supercert and a cut above but do not put a name to their stones (like calling it, "the absolute best cut you can find"), are they considered non-brandname then?

Thank you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An example of a non-branded H&A would be what Jonathan on GOG carries (www.goodoldgold.com). He has many hand-picked H&A stones which I consider unbranded. ACA and SuperbCert would be branded, as would be say a Helzberg Hearts and Arrows brand or similar. ACA and SuperbCert are typically called 'super ideal' stones as they take the typical H&A a little bit further in trying to perfect light return and other details. To get an idea of what these things look like in person, view the Eye Candy forum on Pricescope, people post pictures of their rings and stones there. You will see many ACA stones, a few 8*'s, some SuperbCerts and a bunch of GOG stones. It may also put your mind at ease on ordering from some of the online vendors when you see the fruits of people's labors and the pictures as proof!
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:19:33 PM jlim wrote:
Using Price Stats, I chose "cut" as the criteria selecting "H&A". From the results, I look under "0.5-0.69 cts H&A cut Round: Average $/carat"

As of this minute, 10
6.gif
9 pm EST, there's a match under D/IF for "7844".
If I click on this, it presents me with 2 diamonds from Abazias. Selecting these 2 diamonds, I get stock # 1316461 and # 1316460. Now, I would assume these are 0.66 ct H&A D IF.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316461&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=1316460&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

Now, if I go to the Abazias site directly looking for just for H&A using this link:

http://www.abazias.com/scinfo.htm

Entering D and IF bet. 0.6 to 0.7 ct, I do not find anything.
Now, if I use the regular search,

http://www.abazias.com/home.htm

using the same criteria, admist all the matching ones, I find the 2 diamonds listed as being H&A using the Price Scan tool.

I'm not trying to imply anything here but this is what makes me leary from buying from online vendors as opposed to a store. I know I can get it independently appraised which I probably will.

But can anyone explain the discrepancies?

----------------
Jim, yes I can. There are branded H&As and non-branded H&As. Branded are just what it implies....it has a "brand name" such as SuperbCert, A Cut Above, etc. (Kind of like the Tiffany's name stamped in the ring.)

Then there are non-branded H&As....stones which meet the cut criteria to be classified as H&As, but they don't bear the "label".....(kind of like getting the same ring that is sold to Tiffany's, but it hasn't had the Tiffany's name put in it.)

If you go back to Abazias and do a general search for diamonds of .5-.7, D, IF from the front page, you'll see that the two diamonds you found are returned in the results, and in the comments on the right it notes they are H&A diamonds.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
bump...jlim

jlim

Shiny_Rock
aljdewey, why the bump?

Here's a question. What's the consensus on *branded* H&A among SuperbCert/ACA and *unbranded* (according to Mara) H&A from GOG?

Is Jonathan from GOG register a trademark, say UDIS (as he put it - Ultimate Diamond Information Site) and sell his very top of the line diamonds as UDIS, will his diamonds be branded then?

I suspect it is not as simple as that. Are the SuperCert and ACA considered better *brand* because they have their own cutters doing the cut for them?

Maybe this should be in a different thread.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If Jonathan laser inscribes a picture of a Rhino, which is his other name, on his very own stock of "special number one diamonds" and sells them as such they will be his branded diamonds.
Whiteflash has thier A Cut Above branded diamonds and they have several boxes of other diamonds that are sold by Whiteflash but are not branded. Like what do we do with a diamond that was supposed to be an ideal cut H&A diamond that didn't make the cut. We can't brand it but it is still a very nice diamond. We list it with our non-branded diamonds. It may or may not have the AGS certificate number inscribed on the girdle but it is not branded.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results