shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain the price difference between these 2 diamonds?

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Looking at a few different diamonds as a learning example prior to purchase. Found these two on a search of gsdiamonds.com.au

1st: Price: $4458AUD 0.96ct VVS2 I colour. Very good cut. GIA report:https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1287257920&s=1531460394139

2nd: Price: $5277AUD 0.96ct VS1 I colour. Very good cut. GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6291014109

When I ran the specs through the HCA advisor, the cheaper diamond came up with a better score (1.5 versus 5). It seems a better clarity too. Just wondering why diamond two is $800AUD more? Is it that diamond one had faint fluro?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Good cut?

You can do better than that, I'm sure!

Stones seemed to be priced according their 4Cs but also on their beauty - so (IMHO) it's not always easy to work out why some stones are priced higher than others.

The Diamond Search at the top of the forum is very useful in comparing prices with what else is available, and also for identifying when stones are listed at two different vendors for different prices!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Somewhat speculative but 290 has THREE indented naturals, and the biggest one is .5 mm deep and 2 mm wide!

(Indented naturals are when they find the largest possible diamond that will fit in the rough, and bump it out a little until they hit .96 carats but there's a little big dent on the side.

Both these stones have been pushed to hit .96 carats, which rounds up to one carat. Stones that hit the magic number (1 carat, 1.5 carats, 2 carats, etc.) are likely to be poorly cut. If you look at the distribution of carat sizes, there's a HUGE jump at .96 and a huge drop off at 1.01. There's also a jump in price. Look for a better cut slightly smaller stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results