shape
carat
color
clarity

Please explain... in Laymans Terms...

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Lottapalooza, if I were going to try to get an ornate piece with a lot of melee like a halo ring done by a CAD/cast jeweler, I would spend a *lot* of time pawing through their similar work. If there *is* no similar work, I would definitely go elsewhere.

Here's some tips on inspecting jewelry. Look at the spacing of the melee- are the melee stones nice and close? Or is there a ton of unnecessary metal visible? How are they set- are the beads small, symmetrically placed and dainty or are they blobby, irregular and over-large? If you want engraving, check that as well- lower end millgrain and engraving sticks out like a sore thumb IMO. (Makers who do top notch millgrain and engraving IMO: Victor Canera, Greenlake Jewelry, Van Craeynest, probably Leon Mege & Steven Kirsch but I haven't seen those in person, and Beaudry off the top of my head. And whomever made DeeJay's "brick" setting.) Very nice millgrain is very, very teensy and delicate- in fact most modern millgrain is too large IMO. Look for symmetry- if the piece has a cathedral shank are both sides even? Is the stone set with nice looking prongs or are they large and blobby? Basically, don't just blindly trust anyone to give you what you want, especially in an ornate piece of work. Inspect their other work with a critical eye (i.e., don't get distracted oogling all the sparkles ;-) ).

You can for sure get nice results with casting for that type of ring- see Jewels by Erica Grace, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds etc. They all do nice custom, ornate work with casting. And they all have done such work and we've seen great closeups that show that they're top-of-the line as far as that type of work goes.

The difference between a handmade ring of that type, and a cast one, is in the delicacy, the spacing of the stones, and the visibility of metal. If you, for example, look at a side by side closeup of melee on a really nice CAD/cast ring, vs. someone like Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch's work, you can see that there is more metal visible around each stone on a cast ring vs. a good handmade example. It's simply the nature of how the piece is made.

Also a handmade ring simply has more finished surfaces. For example, my Canera piece has literally every single surface, even the parts of the basket hidden under then shank, finished to a high degree of polish. A cast piece cannot replicate this- there are simply nooks and crannies that you cannot polish if a ring is made of a single cast piece.

So yes, it is possible to get a nice CAD/cast ornate halo ring made. However handmade is simply another step beyond that in terms of workmanship. In my case, I would (did) even wait if I had to to get the nicer handmade piece, because I'm nitpicky about detail. And good CAD/cast work is not cheap at all either; and if I'm going to be spending thousands ANYWAY, I'd rather spend a little more to get something I'm going to be happy with for a lifetime. (That was, in fact, my logic for going with a Victor Canera hand-forged setting, after spending something like two years with a temporary setting.) Because good cast work isn't cheap to begin with, by a long shot, especially for ornate things like halo rings. And if it is? It probably isn't very good quality.

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lottapalooza,
I see you are wanting to have your ring completed by the end of April, maybe you should consider doing what LGK did and use a temporary setting so as to gain a little more time to sort it out and not rush it. It can still be special, it took 25 years for me to complete my wife's ring.
Also, thanks Haven and Gypsy for your insights on Trade posting, I get it.

Lottapalooza, I hope to see pictures of your ring when it's finished, Good Luck!

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LGK|1302129441|2889607 said:
Lottapalooza, if I were going to try to get an ornate piece with a lot of melee like a halo ring done by a CAD/cast jeweler, I would spend a *lot* of time pawing through their similar work. If there *is* no similar work, I would definitely go elsewhere.

Here's some tips on inspecting jewelry. Look at the spacing of the melee- are the melee stones nice and close? Or is there a ton of unnecessary metal visible? How are they set- are the beads small, symmetrically placed and dainty or are they blobby, irregular and over-large? If you want engraving, check that as well- lower end millgrain and engraving sticks out like a sore thumb IMO. (Makers who do top notch millgrain and engraving IMO: Victor Canera, Greenlake Jewelry, Van Craeynest, probably Leon Mege & Steven Kirsch but I haven't seen those in person, and Beaudry off the top of my head. And whomever made DeeJay's "brick" setting.) Very nice millgrain is very, very teensy and delicate- in fact most modern millgrain is too large IMO. Look for symmetry- if the piece has a cathedral shank are both sides even? Is the stone set with nice looking prongs or are they large and blobby? Basically, don't just blindly trust anyone to give you what you want, especially in an ornate piece of work. Inspect their other work with a critical eye (i.e., don't get distracted oogling all the sparkles ;-) ).

You can for sure get nice results with casting for that type of ring- see Jewels by Erica Grace, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds etc. They all do nice custom, ornate work with casting. And they all have done such work and we've seen great closeups that show that they're top-of-the line as far as that type of work goes.

The difference between a handmade ring of that type, and a cast one, is in the delicacy, the spacing of the stones, and the visibility of metal. If you, for example, look at a side by side closeup of melee on a really nice CAD/cast ring, vs. someone like Leon Mege or Steven Kirsch's work, you can see that there is more metal visible around each stone on a cast ring vs. a good handmade example. It's simply the nature of how the piece is made.

Also a handmade ring simply has more finished surfaces. For example, my Canera piece has literally every single surface, even the parts of the basket hidden under then shank, finished to a high degree of polish. A cast piece cannot replicate this- there are simply nooks and crannies that you cannot polish if a ring is made of a single cast piece.

So yes, it is possible to get a nice CAD/cast ornate halo ring made. However handmade is simply another step beyond that in terms of workmanship. In my case, I would (did) even wait if I had to to get the nicer handmade piece, because I'm nitpicky about detail. And good CAD/cast work is not cheap at all either; and if I'm going to be spending thousands ANYWAY, I'd rather spend a little more to get something I'm going to be happy with for a lifetime. (That was, in fact, my logic for going with a Victor Canera hand-forged setting, after spending something like two years with a temporary setting.) Because good cast work isn't cheap to begin with, by a long shot, especially for ornate things like halo rings. And if it is? It probably isn't very good quality.

That's some great advice LGK.
One small thing though, nice pave can be set on a cast ring and bad pave can be set on a hand forged ring and vice versa. So hand forging would be more to do with the metal surfaces of a ring; the precision, sharpness of the parts, metal density how clean the surfaces are etc etc. So nice pave work on a ring doesn't mean it's hand forged actually, it just means that the pave is done nicely.

Anyway as Jim has said you can get good results with cast jewelry and it'll be at a lower price almost always to a hand forged piece. Choice is definitely a very good thing for the consumer at the end of the day.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
LGK|1301683743|2885347 said:
And what's more, frankly I think a lot of jewelers use "handmade" very misleadingly. For example, your jeweler calling a CAD & cast piece handmade is definitely not what I would call handmade. There are jewelers that use a random mix of cast and hand forged, and call the finished products "handmade". (For example, it sounds like Leon Mege does this.) Personally I would consider a cast piece cast, or a mix of techniques- I would call a hand forged, with no casting at all, piece like Victor Canera makes truly handmade.

Could anyone please confirm the bold part?

CageyKG

Rough_Rock
Cookie|1309893481|2962128 said:
LGK|1301683743|2885347 said:
And what's more, frankly I think a lot of jewelers use "handmade" very misleadingly. For example, your jeweler calling a CAD & cast piece handmade is definitely not what I would call handmade. There are jewelers that use a random mix of cast and hand forged, and call the finished products "handmade". (For example, it sounds like Leon Mege does this.) Personally I would consider a cast piece cast, or a mix of techniques- I would call a hand forged, with no casting at all, piece like Victor Canera makes truly handmade.

Could anyone please confirm the bold part?

I would also like to 2nd this request - I have not heard of this either and am currently (as I type this) having Leon make my FI an e-ring, so I am curious to know as well.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hate it when I'm not able to come on the forum for periods of time. :(sad

Great contributions here. Victor if you're still reading here just wanted to say I've seen some of your stuff recently as you've made some rings around our August Vintage line and just wanted to compliment what appears to be some amazing work. Look forward to meeting you at a trade show and perhaps getting together on some projects.

Kind regards,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results