shape
carat
color
clarity

Please do help, I am desperate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. Great news, I am engaged. Bad news, my 1.25 ct looks smaller than a 1 ct. I have been told my measurements of 5.4 x 5.31 x 4.40 is bad. So, what is good? Please help. I plan on going to the jeweler and exchanging ASAP, but I don''t want to have bad info.

Thanks so much.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would expect a 1.25 square princess to measure at least 6 x 6mm.
1.gif
Anyway, as I told you, 5.31 x 5.40 x 4.40mm = 82.9% depth which is very deep. As a result, as you pointed out, your stone looks smaller than a nicely made 1ct diamond. So, please go to the store and ask for a refund or exchange.
1.gif

kathio22

Rough_Rock
He paid $4,000 for a 1.25 princess cut 5.4 x 5.31 x 4.40 H, I1

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I posted to your thread in the "Show me the Ring" forum, but I reposted here ...

It's really easy to start comparing your ring to everyone else's ring ... but as long as you got the right ring, I agree with Dancin girl ... think about how happy you are to be engaged and start planing that wedding!

It's true you can go and get the ring looked at to see if it is the correct carat weight ... but to tell you the truth, I am not sure how your fiance would take that ... he may feel he didn't do a good job, or may feel like you are unhappy with his gift. I agree that when you get it appraised for insurance purposes, you will find out, and then you can deal with it from there.

Also, 1.25 will look significantly smaller than a 1.5 as many of the Pricescope members can tell you. (by the way, is the 1.5 also a princess or a different shape). You may *think* it looks half as big because you eye notices the difference and you are sensitive to it. Or, the quality of the cut may differ. Also something to think about ... I was surprised how much smaller many of the stones I see look in person, so I guess my expectations were WAY off, and I really just had no idea what a 1 carat stone truly looked like, and they vary from shape to shape.

In any case, I don't think you should tell your fiance that you are unhappy with the size of the ring, nor the quality. Maybe you should do a bit of research here on Pricescope and look at the array of beautiful stones that come in all sizes, most of them smaller than yours!

Since an engagement ring is a gift that he chose for you, in my opinion, later on down the line, you can upgrade without crushing his feelings. Also, a 1.25 is NOT shabby ... most people don't get to the one carat mark.

There is a quote from one of the members on here about someome always having something bigger and better ... it's true, you've got to love what you've got!

CONGRATS on the engagement!

***edited to add after reading your measurements and the experts' comments-- even if the ring is not cut as well, therefore making it a deeper cut, and looking smaller than a great cut stone of comparable weight, will exchanging the ring hurt your fiance in any way??? Will he feel that he failed at getting you this gift? Just something to think about. Also, are you past the refund period?

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Yes, it was purchased at Zales in the mall. He only went there because we know the manager. I feel so bad for him. No, not on store credit either.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to say that the price on the stone should be just a bit more than one half what you paid. Please DO ask a refund. You will not regret it.
1.gif
You can get an SI 2 or better stone with your budget.
1.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
If you sholuld have paid half ... well there's no debate, get a refund!

Just a helpful hint for the Boards, you can keep your thread all together in one Board, we check all the Boards and it helps to keep all the responses together.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes...I just now read the color/clarity specs. H I1? For $4k? Princess stones are usually cheaper than rounds. He could get a well cut light 1c round brilliant with a diameter of around 6.40mm with H SI1 or similar for the same price, and it would be a knockout...ahhh gotta love those maul jewelers.

Hope it works out well for you Kath.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results