shape
carat
color
clarity

Please critique shower invite wording

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock

You’re Invited
to a Mad Hatter Tea Party

Come join us for a spot of tea
with bride-to-be:

Mia1181''s Sister

Saturday April 18, 2009
2:00pm

at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX, NY XXXXX

Come dressed for tea
and don’t forget to wear your “maddest” hat

R.S.V.P. to Mia1181
xxx-xxx-xxxx

xxxxxxx@rocketmail.com

Okay is it too wordy? It will be on the inside of a folded 5x7 card. Should some of the text be put on the left side of the inside of the card? I originally planned for it be in one line on the right side of the card, but is it too much?

I feel like I need the word "shower" in there somewhere, because it is a bridal shower, but I also want them to know it''s a Mad Hatter Tea Party Theme. What should I do?

What about the dressed for tea part? Is that unnecessary? Any other critiques?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very cute!!

Just a bit of rubbish information for your day, the term mad hatter comes from when they used to use mercury in the felt used in hats. The hatters used to get mercury poisoning from handling the mercury infused fabric, which built up in their systems (the human body can''t eliminate mercury, it builts up and causes poisoning). This caused behavioral disturbances, and so the term ''mad as a hatter'' arose
9.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Mad as a HATTER! I actually remember learning that in 7th grade science class!

I was just looking up wikipedia on the mad hatter, and it was funny that they explained that he actually doesn''t have the symptoms of mercury-poising because it usually makes a person timid or shy!
2.gif

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
If you want the word shower to appear on the invitation (which I agree is a good idea just so there''s no confusion) I think you could say "You’re Invited to a Mad Hatter Tea Party and Bridal Shower."

Sounds like you are planning a really fun party for your sister! Good luck with the rest of the planning.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
This is cute! But a few things...

-To add the word "shower"...you could just change the second phrase to:

"Come join us for a spot of tea
as we shower the bride-to-be"

-I don''t think the line "come dressed for tea" is necessary- I would probably take it out and just leave the line "Don''t forget to wear your maddest hat" at the end, to keep it simpler.

-And not to get picky, but...you don''t really need the ":" before the bride''s name, or the "at" before the location. Most invitations simply list everything on separate lines.

-You may want to add an RSVP date

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much IceQueen! "Shower the bride-to-be" is perfect! I'll also take out the colon, and "at," picky is exactly what I was looking for! So if you notice anything else....

While I have you, what do you think of spot of tea italacized? (don't know if you could tell it was) I like it because it is supposed to be sing-songy, but should bride-to-be be italacized also? And is the hyphenation okay?

Thanks!

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
-Just noticed that you need a comma after "Saturday"

-Yes, keep the hyphens in bride-to-be

-I''m not sure about the italicized "spot of tea"...to be honest, when I first read the invite, I wondered why you had done that. Since it is obvious that it rhymes, I think it''s somewhat unnecessary. I would probably just leave it un-italicized, but it doesn''t hurt to keep it if you like it that way. If you want, you could even italicize the entire rhyme to draw focus.

By the way...I just saw the invites you are making on another one of your threads, and they are sooo cute- love the whole tea bag thing. I wish you could somehow use the line "Don''t be late for a very important date!"-- I would be so fitting.

I love how you''re doing this whole Mad Hatter theme is such a hip, modern way!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 5:23:31 PM
Author: ice-queen
-Just noticed that you need a comma after ''Saturday''

-Yes, keep the hyphens in bride-to-be

-I''m not sure about the italicized ''spot of tea''...to be honest, when I first read the invite, I wondered why you had done that. Since it is obvious that it rhymes, I think it''s somewhat unnecessary. I would probably just leave it un-italicized, but it doesn''t hurt to keep it if you like it that way. If you want, you could even italicize the entire rhyme to draw focus.

By the way...I just saw the invites you are making on another one of your threads, and they are sooo cute- love the whole tea bag thing. I wish you could somehow use the line ''Don''t be late for a very important date!''-- I would be so fitting.

I love how you''re doing this whole Mad Hatter theme is such a hip, modern way!
That''s a major compliment! So thank you, that is exactly what I am going for!
1.gif

I don''t want to overdo it, so I chose not to use the "late for a very important date" in the text of the invite, but it will be on the back of the card. It will be very small with a little black rabbit, kind of like a hallmark logo or something.

The envelope of the invite will have a seal on it that says "open me," and there will be a directions insert that will be sealed with "follow me." At the party the favors will have a sticker on them that says "take me." Obviously the cups will say "drink me," and we will have cupcakes that say "eat me." I am going to be a very bossy hostess! I am probably going a little overboard for a shower, but it is so much fun to come up with wacky ideas that I wouldn''t risk for a wedding!

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Yay- all those ideas are too cute! I definitely went a little overboard when I planned a shower for my SIL last year- but it''s a shower, it should be fun and not too serious. I''m sure you''re sister will appreciate every last bit of "overboard-ness" lol

When is the shower? You HAVE to post pics of it when it over (and the invites too!)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think the changes you made to the wording are just perfect!

Mia, it seems like you''re on the right track to plan and execute a wonderful shower for your sister! I''d love for you to plan my bridal shower ANY day! Now I''m off to go find your invite thread.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 6:16:28 PM
Author: ice-queen
Yay- all those ideas are too cute! I definitely went a little overboard when I planned a shower for my SIL last year- but it''s a shower, it should be fun and not too serious. I''m sure you''re sister will appreciate every last bit of ''overboard-ness'' lol

When is the shower? You HAVE to post pics of it when it over (and the invites too!)
It will be April 18th! I have to get these invites finished soon. I''ll definitely post pictures!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 10:55:48 AM
Author: Clairitek
I think the changes you made to the wording are just perfect!

Mia, it seems like you''re on the right track to plan and execute a wonderful shower for your sister! I''d love for you to plan my bridal shower ANY day! Now I''m off to go find your invite thread.
Aw I''d love to plan your shower! I am in HEAVEN here. I love this kind of stuff. I''m into the whole crafty thing and I didn''t get to plan a real wedding for myself (eloped) so of course I am just loving this. It should be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results